ADVERTISEMENT

Fraudulent Unemployment Claims

kgilbert78

Apr 9, 2013
I was hit by this yesterday. Got a letter from the Ohio Dept of Jobs and Family Services telling me that my claim is on hold. I've not made any claim--as I'm still employed. Seems it's a big problem. Even our governor and lieutenant governor have been hit.

Link

For most folks, one of the first signs is a 1099 from the state showing unemployment income. This is the time of year these things come out. So watch out and be careful.

The internet has allowed us to see so much of what is going on out there and personally I continue to be more and more disappointed by the way humans treat each other. No qualms about ripping each other off or treating each other badly. Perhaps it was just better to be ignorant. This past summer the State of Maryland uncovered a massive scheme involving more than 47,500 fraudulent unemployment insurance claims totaling over $501 million. I'd be surprised if this wasn't happening in every state. At one time I would have been shocked- but now it's just the news of the day...

The internet has allowed us to see so much of what is going on out there and personally I continue to be more and more disappointed by the way humans treat each other. No qualms about ripping each other off or treating each other badly. Perhaps it was just better to be ignorant. This past summer the State of Maryland uncovered a massive scheme involving more than 47,500 fraudulent unemployment insurance claims totaling over $501 million. I'd be surprised if this wasn't happening in every state. At one time I would have been shocked- but now it's just the news of the day...

Sadly humans have been ripping people off since the beginning of time. The internet is just the most efficient and easiest way to con the most people. Humans have always been a terrible species.

There are so many places this number is used--even though it's not supposed to be used for identification (see your card). In my day, it was your ID number at PSU, for example.
Yeah, and surely copies of those student directories are still lying around somewhere. (The SSN number was in the directory, I can almost swear.)

There are so many places this number is used--even though it's not supposed to be used for identification (see your card). In my day, it was your ID number at PSU, for example.

I think the Experian hack exposed a fair percentage of the US to this.

When I started at PSU in 1988, exam scores were still posted publicly by full SSN (not just the last four digits). Walk up to the bulletin board and find your SSN. That stopped during my time at PSU, maybe around 1990.

Reactions: CentexLion
I was hit by this yesterday. Got a letter from the Ohio Dept of Jobs and Family Services telling me that my claim is on hold. I've not made any claim--as I'm still employed. Seems it's a big problem. Even our governor and lieutenant governor have been hit.

Link

For most folks, one of the first signs is a 1099 from the state showing unemployment income. This is the time of year these things come out. So watch out and be careful.
I abhor Government meddling. In my view those people have no business withholding your unemployment claim just because you are presently employed.

I think the Experian hack exposed a fair percentage of the US to this.
I'm now seeing my doctor, dentist, and eye doctor even asking for my SSN. I decline giving it out. Heck, my credit card gets hacked every 3-4 months. I no longer go to the 7-11 by my house, as that seemed to be a common theme about it being hacked. Chase and BOA do have nice procedures in place though to stop it, sometimes too aggressively. I now carry at least $100 with me, in case my cards are on hold and I need gas. But just like people are getting paid to lift credit card numbers (I was told that they are getting $50 for each lifted card at stores), you know when you give your SSN, it will get lifted by someone making $15/hr at a chance to make big money. And when government tells you that the data you are supplying is secure, guaranteed, ..... huge laugh.

My mom got a letter from SS a few months ago (she lives in the Lehigh Valley), for confirmation that she was changing her address to a Texas address for future correspondences. Of course she wasn't. After calling them, they found that the address was a ranch I own, 35 miles from my house here in Texas. Mom and Dad used to bring their 5th wheel down here December to April from 2005-2015 and stay here in the winter. Otherwise, the place is unoccupied. We do have animals out there and drive there every day to water/feed. And I spend weekends out there as well. I do have a mailbox there, but it is never used. I never get even junk mail out there. No idea what the long game was for someone to request all correspondences get sent there, but was guessing that after they did that transfer, the next step was to stop direct deposit checks and get them forwarded there. As a precaution, I went to the local PO and had all mail stopped there and forwarded to my home. I also pulled out the mailbox, so nobody cold use it as a drop. Again, no idea how they got mom's SSN and their winter residence from many years ago.

A lot of this is happening from over seas. No idea how to stop it. Thinking biometrics is the next step with facial recognition and iris scans instead of PINs. Now that becomes China, where every bit of info is gathered from everyone, all of the time. Even some of the police in Shenzhen and Shanghai have cameras that instantly give them data. Like the Terminator HUD, but better. Crazy

Good luck in getting that reversed

Reactions: BBrown
Got this notice from State of Maryland .... Please let your employer know if you haven't already!!!!!

Subject: Fraudulent Charges on Q4 Benefit Charge Statements

Dear Employer:

As we enter 2021, the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance continues to see a record number of unemployment insurance claims filed by Marylanders whose jobs have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. With this record number of unemployment insurance claims, Maryland, and states across the entire country, have seen an increase in activity by bad actors and fraudsters who aim to take advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic by using illegally obtained data to file fraudulent unemployment insurance claims. Please note that there has been no breach in our BEACON unemployment system. Fraudsters are using identities and personal identifiable information stolen from prior data breaches, such as Equifax, Target, and the Federal Office of Personnel Management to file fraudulent Unemployment Insurance claims.

Specifically, the Division has seen an increase in the number of claims fraudulently filed in the names of people who are actively working. This means that claims may be fraudulently filed for your employee, even though the employee is still working for you and is not unemployed. While we continue to work with our federal partners and banking institutions to combat fraud, you will NOT be charged for any fraudulent benefits associated with your account.

The Division of Unemployment Insurance recently issued the benefit charge statement for the fourth quarter of 2020 for both contributory and reimbursing not-for-profit employers and government entities. The benefit charge statement for contributory employers is not a bill, but serves to notify contributory employers of charges against their account and identifies former employees who have received benefits during the fourth quarter of 2020. Please review your benefit charge statement to ensure that all claimant benefits charged to your account are proper and that the identified claimant is unemployed and does not currently work for you.

The benefit charge statement for reimbursing not-for-profit employers and government entities, however, is a bill for benefits charged against these employers’ accounts and identifies former employees who have received benefits during the fourth quarter of 2020. Please review your benefit charge statement to ensure that all claimant benefits charged to your account are proper and that the identified claimant is unemployed and does not currently work for you. When making a payment, please exclude any charges for those claims you are protesting. The Division will investigate your protest and will remove charges that are deemed fraudulent.

If you believe a fraudulent claim has been charged to your account, please file a benefit charge protest. The easiest and quickest way to file a protest is through your employer portal at employer.beacon.labor.md.gov. To file a request for relief of charges, click on the “Benefit Charge Functions” menu option, choose the current year and quarter for charges that you want to protest, and click the “Request Relief of Charges” button. Select the button for an employee to protest, select a “Reason for Protest”, enter a note with detail, upload any files for documentation, and then select “Submit”. Repeat for any other employee charges you wish to protest.

Otherwise, you may mail a protest to:

Division of Unemployment Insurance
Review Determination Unit
1100 N. Eutaw Street
Baltimore, MD 21201

If fraudulent claims continue to be charged to your account, please contact the fraud unit via email at ui.fraud@maryland.gov to report the fraudulent activity. The fraud unit will investigate and cancel the claim if it is determined to be fraudulent.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to the Employer Call Center at 410-949-0033. We look forward to continuing to work together as we navigate our way through the COVID-19 pandemic.

Not the same level of money but our Netflix account gets hacked constantly. Easy to tell as all of a sudden the language is switched from English to Spanish in some areas. Called up Netflix and asked what was going on and they asked if I was currently watching some movie in Paraguay. I said 'no' and they then cut off the feed as somebody had pirated my account. Now about every 9-12 months it happens and we call up and get the password changed as somebody hacks it.

My company in NJ has had about a dozen false claims filed over the past year, all for current active employees, including one for myself. In each case, the state contacted our HR department for verification and cause of separation, so we were quick to notify the state of the fraudulent claim. Our HR department also provided to each victim, recommendations and contact information for notifying the state unemployment office to file a fraud report, and for filing an identity theft report with the feds.

Maryland Department of Labor Detected Over 156,000 Potentially Fraudulent Unemployment Claims Filed Since January

Of the 243,186 new claims filed in Maryland since January 1, 2021, 156,403 claims (64.31%) have been flagged as being potentially fraudulent

Sadly humans have been ripping people off since the beginning of time. The internet is just the most efficient and easiest way to con the most people. Humans have always been a terrible species.
Also, except for the really big offenders, there is almost zero fear of prosecution.

Last year someone fraudulently ordered about $800 worth of bathroom fixtures on my debit card. Unbeknownst to the perpetrator, I have a Home Depot account and a unique last name. So when the order went through, I got a notification. I immediately alerted both my bank and Home Depot and my money was refunded immediately.

I also had a shipping address in a nearby city. When I contacted that city's police department, they informed me that it wasn't worth their time to investigate and I had already gotten my money back.

That is not my only instance of police not wanting to help and companies that are unwilling to provide any order details without a subpoena.

People know, so long as they keep it fairly small time, there is a very small chance of anyone ever bothering to prosecute them.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

Link

Link

GF got similar info towards end of 2020. I filed fraud report at Michigan Unemployment and also notified one of the credit bureaus

Last edited:
Most of the world is complete chaos without any regard for the rule of law.

When I started at PSU in 1988, exam scores were still posted publicly by full SSN (not just the last four digits). Walk up to the bulletin board and find your SSN. That stopped during my time at PSU, maybe around 1990.
One of my roomates in Cedarbrook was a Biology major who intended on being a doctor. He was bright- but also really arrogant. He talked down to many as if he was a genius- but never really got under my skin b/c frankly he wasn't even a friend- just a guy who shared a room with someone else in our 2BR apt. Some other guys in his extended friend group started checking his grades on tests by using his social and looking outside of classes when posted. They would purposefully talk to him and have him lie to the group- knowing that he was not telling the truth. This game of cat and mouse went on all Fall semester of 1985 (a great football year btw!) Then at Christmas- they wrote down his grades on pieces of paper and "decorated" their Christmas Tree with the Test Names and his actual scores. They invited him over and did the big reveal. Really mean- but sort of deserved too. I had nothing to do with it- but was aware that he was likely full of it- often his dots just didn't connect. FWIW I recently heard that he did eventually get his PHD and he teaches at a school which provides training for existing physicians in upstate NY. This hits both "the info is out there" and "people can be awful" to others when they get ahold of your personal info.

Reactions: bison13
I will not use credit at a gas station. Even $100 - $200 isn't much of an issue to keep on hand. Keep $50 in an obscure place in your vehicle.

I was at Lowes recently and a cocky associate said Credit only ! I said i have exact change , he had to take me. I had one of those plastic coin holders on me too, and being the loud jerk he was , i withdrew the change as slowly as i could.

If you feel someone is closing in on you in line switch your wallet to front jacket or pants pocket, trust no one out there.

I've been ripped off i know.

I received two unemployment checks from the state of PA in the spring. I mailed the checks back and with a letter confirming not to send me any unemployment. They sent the checks to my home address.

I received two unemployment checks from the state of PA in the spring. I mailed the checks back and with a letter confirming not to send me any unemployment. They sent the checks to my home address.

Same here, received two checks totaling 13k. Filled out the online fraud forn, mailed them in but never heard back. Let's hope I'm ok. No tax forms for them yet so I think I'm ok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT