• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stupid idea

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
What we saw was not simply a dominant Michigan team beating a so-so Penn State team. That I could handle. This level of lack of preparation and ineptitude displayed on a big stage deserves to have its own term. Plus Harbaugh hasn't really shown himself to be that great of a coach. He normally only looks this good when playing Penn State at home. I propose that Franklining now be used like the archaic terms Clemsoning to describe this kind of loss.

What do you think?

What we saw was not simply a dominant Michigan team beating a so-so Penn State team. That I could handle. This level of lack of preparation and ineptitude displayed on a big stage deserves to have its own term. Plus Harbaugh hasn't really shown himself to be that great of a coach. He normally only looks this good when playing Penn State at home. I propose that Franklining now be used like the archaic terms Clemsoning to describe this kind of loss.

What do you think?
I strongly disagree with your assessment. Michigan has a dominant run game that PSU couldn't handle, that's it. I suspect very few teams will handle it this year.

I strongly disagree with your assessment. Michigan has a dominant run game that PSU couldn't handle, that's it. I suspect very few teams will handle it this year.
So their run game prevented us from having any semblance of a plan on offense?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
So their run game prevented us from having any semblance of a plan on offense?
Elite teams don't always win every phase, but they have enough pieces and good enough coaching to win another way, or at least make a respectable showing, if their original plan isn't working out.

Elite teams don't always win every phase, but they have enough pieces and good enough coaching to win another way, or at least make a respectable showing, if their original plan isn't working out.
Elite teams don't win ever week. Just look around college football.

Was the 2016 PSU team elite?
I think they developed into it, or pretty close, by the end of the year. The 2017 team as well. I believe Franklin recruits at elite or near-elite levels. Yet you can always count on us to lose a game we shouldn't or lose in an embarrassing fashion to a team that other teams with less talent do not lose to so badly. We lost to UM 49-10 that year, but beat Iowa 41-14 a few weeks later once we got our offense going. Iowa beat UM 14-13 the next week at night in Kinnick.

This year we looked very prepared and confident at Auburn. I don't care how good Auburn is, it's an SEC team playing at home. Granted, we had a letdown the next week. And I figured you could throw out the Northwestern game with it being played in a hurricane. The team we saw Saturday looked like it folded at the first signs of adversity (save for the defense, which took 50+ plays watching our offense do next to nothing to help them to finally pack it in). If Michigan ends up being the national champ this might be excusable, but right now it looks like PSU just getting outcoached in a big game once again.

I think they developed into it, or pretty close, by the end of the year. The 2017 team as well. I believe Franklin recruits at elite or near-elite levels. Yet you can always count on us to lose a game we shouldn't or lose in an embarrassing fashion to a team that other teams with less talent do not lose to so badly. We lost to UM 49-10 that year, but beat Iowa 41-14 a few weeks later once we got our offense going. Iowa beat UM 14-13 the next week at night in Kinnick.

This year we looked very prepared and confident at Auburn. I don't care how good Auburn is, it's an SEC team playing at home. Granted, we had a letdown the next week. And I figured you could throw out the Northwestern game with it being played in a hurricane. The team we saw Saturday looked like it folded at the first signs of adversity (save for the defense, which took 50+ plays watching our offense do next to nothing to help them to finally pack it in). If Michigan ends up being the national champ this might be excusable, but right now it looks like PSU just getting outcoached in a big game once again.
Outperformed yes, but outcoached? Well, that's a component of being outperformed, but sometimes the other team is better than you that day.

PSU shouldn't be in the position where it can't handle a good running game. That's a disgrace and a movie we've seen before. That said lesser teams, if they are lesser were more competitive.
The excuses are old. This performance was an absolute disgrace. And then our bonehead coach comes to the realization his team is too small all the while continuing to recruit undersized defensive lineman that never put weight on.

PSU shouldn't be in the position where it can't handle a good running game. That's a disgrace and a movie we've seen before. That said lesser teams, if they are lesser were more competitive.
The excuses are old. This performance was an absolute disgrace. And then our bonehead coach comes to the realization his team is too small all the while continuing to recruit undersized defensive lineman that never put weight on.
Ideally, you are correct. But if it was that easy ("just recruit 320 lb lineman who can play!") everyone would do it.

College football is a hard game to play. A hard game to coach. It's hard to predict which 17 year old will progress into being effective football players at 22 years old. Michigan was failing at this until last year.

PSU is 5-1. During fall camp, did you honest believe they would be 6-0 at this point?

Ideally, you are correct. But if it was that easy ("just recruit 320 lb lineman who can play!") everyone would do it.

College football is a hard game to play. A hard game to coach. It's hard to predict which 17 year old will progress into being effective football players at 22 years old. Michigan was failing at this until last year.

PSU is 5-1. During fall camp, did you honest believe they would be 6-0 at this point?
No but I expect Penn State to have a chance to win every game they play and to at least be competitive. The latter was nonexistent on Saturday.
I'm also tired of the clown acts from our players. They should shut their mouths and let their play do the talking. I think the level of shit talking our secondary engages in is disgusting.

Reactions: psu00 and THEEHMANN

Your points are valid, but the original question is one of an ability to win big games and whether the label applied to Clemson should be transferred.

Whether you pick yes or no is one thing. What cannot be disputed is the coach’s record vs Top Ten, after bye weeks, vs ranked teams on the road, etc. That record at least makes the original question a reasonable question.

What do you think?
To me..this is the result of years of not being able to focus on recruiting at the highest level with our OL and most recently DL...

When Ricci..an in state 4star ? lineman and legacy picked another school over PSU..Wisconsin..it was just another example of how our OL Coaches and development has fallen off over the years..

I our glory days..both lines were always a strength...

We recruit skill players and every week I see another DB looking at PSU...but not interior linemen...

Day will be the first to say..its all starts with the OL and DL at Ohio State...

Even at home in 2 weeks...OSU can easily put up 50+ on us right now...

To me..this is the result of years of not being able to focus on recruiting at the highest level with our OL and most recently DL...

When Ricci..an in state 4star ? lineman and legacy picked another school over PSU..Wisconsin..it was just another example of how our OL Coaches and development has fallen off over the years..

I our glory days..both lines were always a strength...

We recruit skill players and every week I see another DB looking at PSU...but not interior linemen...

Day will be the first to say..its all starts with the OL and DL at Ohio State...

Even at home in 2 weeks...OSU can easily put up 50+ on us right now...
And I bet we play Ohio State better than we did Michigan, though the new DC is a wildcard in this. We tend to be built to play Ohio State close or reasonably well. Since the win in 2016 we've lost by 1,1,11,13 and 9 to them. There's a chance they will beat us worse than Michigan, but I would not expect it to be quite this bad due to styles.

Reactions: baircub1!
Exactly. Exhibit A. Tennessee. Blew a 28-10 lead at home but still had the offense to pull out win in regulation 52-49. PSU compared to those two teams looks like high school. We are not even remotely close to 16th best team. We are years from elite.

LOL. Based on what? How Harbaugh didn't leave his starters in for his last TD drive (already up 3 scores with 5 minutes left)? Oh wait, he DID leave his starters in.
Just hope we have enough guys who are marking next years date with Michigan and circling it 4x...Hairball leaving starters in was all about recruiting and clearly bonus points for playoff picture....

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
LOL. Based on what? How Harbaugh didn't leave his starters in for his last TD drive (already up 3 scores with 5 minutes left)? Oh wait, he DID leave his starters in.
Your relentless defense of Franklin has made you act silly.

Obviously, we were oulayed badly in the first half, but we were getting some luck.

We were smashed Worse than the score indicated.

Just hope we have enough guys who are marking next years date with Michigan and circling it 4x...Hairball leaving starters in was all about recruiting and clearly bonus points for playoff picture....
No need to mark calendars, they'll just send them texts or tweets. Maybe make a large greeting card to show them from the sidelines.
PSU football use to be a class act on and off the field. They played hard nose physical football and acted in a manor that you could be proud of. You rarely saw a PSU player disrespect their opponent because it wasn't tolerated. That ship has sailed. We act like the old Miami teams now.

Reactions: psu00
Franklin obviously needs some time with his family as he obviously doesn't give a crap about his team and winning anymore. Can we put him on a sebatical for a couple years? Maybe his assistant coaches need a say in the game plan but obviously he doesn't care or listen. Isn't this all obvious?

Is the supposedly Penn St fans attacking all things PSU because they don't like the coach thread? Just wondering where a PSU fan or an Ohio St fan posing as a PSU fan might go to trash our program thinking we can undo a decade long contract. Thanks

Your relentless defense of Franklin has made you act silly.

Obviously, we were oulayed badly in the first half, but we were getting some luck.

We were smashed Worse than the score indicated.
We weren't badly outplayed in the first half. The defense allowed movement between the 20s but stiffened to only allow 3 FG (and one TD). That's similar to what they've done all year. The offense had one big play and the defense had one big play. That was enough to make it a 2 point game at the half and allow PSU to take the lead again in the third quarter.

The two long TD runs were back breakers. Without those, the bend but don't break might have worked if the offense could have made a few more plays (or at least sustained a few drives to give the defense a rest).

• Haha
Agreed. I hope we curb stomp the next year.

• Haha

What do you think?
If Harbaugh was not such a dufus, it would have been about 31-0 at half.

We weren't badly outplayed in the first half. The defense allowed movement between the 20s but stiffened to only allow 3 FG (and one TD). That's similar to what they've done all year. The offense had one big play and the defense had one big play. That was enough to make it a 2 point game at the half and allow PSU to take the lead again in the third quarter.

The two long TD runs were back breakers. Without those, the bend but don't break might have worked if the offense could have made a few more plays (or at least sustained a few drives to give the defense a rest).
You must be joking.

We had one first down in the first half. They never punted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT