ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin kept mentioning that Minny had some looks like unbalanced line

Jo Man

Jun 9, 2006
that they didnt have much film on & took until half time to adjust. Soooo, what did he come up with that was a new look for Minny during the bye week? I'd have to say it was nothing, spent the time reading about their ranking in the playoff pool.
Just another point how the coaching really screwed up for this game.

Kick the extra point in 3rd qtr, take the 3 points at 4th & 8 during the 4th qtr and then kick the winning FG at the end.
This is why the chart is flawed unless its 8 minutes or less in the 4th Qtr !!

Reactions: NedFromYork
that they didnt have much film on & took until half time to adjust. Soooo, what did he come up with that was a new look for Minny during the bye week? I'd have to say it was nothing, spent the time reading about their ranking in the playoff pool.

Kick the extra point in 3rd qtr, take the 3 points at 4th & 8 during the 4th qtr and then kick the winning FG at the end.

What, no poll?? You're getting lazy No Man

Did they go unbalanced all that much? I seem to remember an OL coming in at TE to add a blocker. That stood out more to me than any unbalanced line.

It took the whole half to adjust?? Geez, it's not like an unbalanced line is a novel concept. I can't imagine why adjustments would have been so difficult.

Reactions: therod
It took the whole half to adjust?? Geez, it's not like an unbalanced line is a novel concept. I can't imagine why adjustments would have been so difficult.

Good thing we never played Stanford in there great years not to long ago Franklin would still be trying to figure that one out. It kind of an old school concept that no one uses anymore so it must seemed new to our staff

Cuz it's assignment football.. Gaps and personnel. It can be very effective and what adjustments do u think u can make?

Easiest is to walk down the strong safety..you don't have time to exaplin to the dline or linebackers what their assignments are and to have everyone on the same page..

Double their #1 receiver the guy who had 200yds and tell the other two covering their #2 and #3 receivers hey ur man....good luck

Last edited:

Yup, a good coaching staff sees it once and starts drawing adjustment up[ on the fly. But Pry is too busy slathering Vaseline on his noggin so it has to wait 'til halftime.

Reactions: wcg207 and paws1957

All good points

I don’t think he said they didn’t have much film on it. They ran it at a higher percentage than they did in prior games and they had to commit more to the run.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Yup, a good coaching staff sees it once and starts drawing adjustment up[ on the fly. But Pry is too busy slathering Vaseline on his noggin so it has to wait 'til halftime.

I don’t think he said they didn’t have much film on it. They ran it at a higher percentage than they did in prior games and they had to commit more to the run.

Did they show the unbalanced look and throw from it more often which would be something you would have adjust to, then you would have no idea what they are doing.

Yep. PSU coaches were aware of the unbalanced look and prepared for it. Once Minney saw that the PSU preparation was not stopping it they continued to use it. Thus the comment by CJF that they ran it more than they had previously (on a percentage basis).

Pretty much common sense. If Minney ran a formation and had success with it, would they then run it more or less during the rest of the game???

Reactions: Cosmos and ftlpsu
Actually a true unbalanced line is this:

E G C G T T E

The unbalanced side is obviously the right. The typical way for the defense to treat this is to treat the right guard as the center. Then it just looks like 12 personnel. I haven’t looked close at the film yet as I watched the game at a party and it was a bit distracting for really watching the game like I do in the stadium so I don’t know what coach is specifically referencing.

Reactions: djr4rebs

We need a coach capable of writing a chart.

T G C G T TE most teams base

TE G C G T TE double Tight ends ( this is Not unbalanced)

T G C G T T TE This is Unbalanced( swapping TE for another T is same front)

now count the gaps in each....how many gap responsibilities in Base? How many in DTE? Unbalanced?

T G C G T TE most teams base

TE G C G T TE double Tight ends ( this is Not unbalanced)

T G C G T T TE This is Unbalanced( swapping TE for another T is same front)

now count the gaps in each....how many gap responsibilities in Base? How many in DTE? Unbalanced?
Isn’t second one illegal? You need 5 guys numbered 50-79 on the los

Actually a true unbalanced line is this:

E G C G T T E

The unbalanced side is obviously the right. The typical way for the defense to treat this is to treat the right guard as the center. Then it just looks like 12 personnel. I haven’t looked close at the film yet as I watched the game at a party and it was a bit distracting for really watching the game like I do in the stadium so I don’t know what coach is specifically referencing.

From what I remember, they simply subbed a TE out and brought an extra OL in. They added a better blocker to the strong side as even with their typical TEs in they don't throw the ball to them very much.

Had PSU kicked the FG in the 4th instead of going for it on 4th and goal this board would have melted down. 11 minutes left in the game and cut the lead to nine, you still need two scores, albeit a FG and TD.

I have more of a problem with the play call then the decision to go for it.

the coaching expertise on this board is simply awesome- I don't understand why colleges (or NFL teams) need to do coaching searches at all- just read all of the wisdom here
You don't need to be a NFL coach to realize going into the game that you take away Bateman. They have 3 WRs averaging 15 yards per catch or more and rarely throw to the TE's and RBs. They also don't give up many sacks and Morgan does not throw INTs.

First drive we have one deep safety and playing one man on Bateman, result give up a long TD pass. The defensive game plan should have been based on taking away Bateman and their deep passing game. Let them try grinding out 10 to 15 play drives running the ball. Play zone and mix up the coverages while defending the pass with 7 to 8 players. This would have been a good game for the JoePa classic bend but don't break defense.

Ohio State is playing a lot of zone this year to take away the big passes they gave up last year. Seems to be working for them.

First drive we have one deep safety and playing one man on Bateman, result give up a long TD pass. T

We called a safety blitz (Wade) off the slot WR. Somehow, we had no LB help (Jan was in the middle, he tried to run the play down but he was not winning that foot race). TCF, I think, was in his 7-8 off the line look and he literally did nothing but back pedal a couple steps and stop. Taylor was the over the top safety, but he waited until the snap to move into position to be of any assistance.

The result: both WRs to that side were wide open. I don't know if the pressure snap show of Wade blitzing led to Morgan going that way with the ball or if Pry just walked right into a haymaker and it was going to be a deep ball anyway.

Franklin is great at explaining the what the other team is doing. He is lost on the why and how.

Reactions: Cosmos
We called a safety blitz (Wade) off the slot WR. Somehow, we had no LB help (Jan was in the middle, he tried to run the play down but he was not winning that foot race). TCF, I think, was in his 7-8 off the line look and he literally did nothing but back pedal a couple steps and stop. Taylor was the over the top safety, but he waited until the snap to move into position to be of any assistance.

The result: both WRs to that side were wide open. I don't know if the pressure snap show of Wade blitzing led to Morgan going that way with the ball or if Pry just walked right into a haymaker and it was going to be a deep ball anyway.

The blitz looked like it was coming from St. Paul.....!

OSU is playing with level 10 talent against level 3 opposition.
I doubt one can take any more out of “OSU” than that right now.
Except last year their man scheme gave up big plays to many level 3 talent teams. They went to a heavy dosage of zone this year to prevent the big play.

Had PSU kicked the FG in the 4th instead of going for it on 4th and goal this board would have melted down. 11 minutes left in the game and cut the lead to nine, you still need two scores, albeit a FG and TD.

I have more of a problem with the play call then the decision to go for it.
Compounded by the fact that at that time there was no guarantee that the defense would get stops based on evidence from results earlier in the game.

It is great that the defense did get stops, regardless of whether MN went into a shell offensively or not, but there is no way of knowing that when the 4th and goal presented itself.

Reactions: Lyons212
Compounded by the fact that at that time there was no guarantee that the defense would get stops based on evidence from results earlier in the game.

It is great that the defense did get stops, regardless of whether MN went into a shell offensively or not, but there is no way of knowing that when the 4th and goal presented itself.
You are right. With Minnesota's ability to ground and pound, PSU may not get the ball back twice.

Good thing we never played Stanford in there great years not to long ago Franklin would still be trying to figure that one out. It kind of an old school concept that no one uses anymore so it must seemed new to our staff

Alabama went unbalanced to start the game against LSU. With the way or X receivers are catching the ball maybe we should consider this look?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT