ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin is all class.

BobPSU92

May 6, 2015
Amidst the excitement of beating Wisconsin and winning the b1g championship the other night, did anyone notice that Franklin "gave it up" for Archie Griffin during the MVP trophy presentation? Here they are "in the moment", celebrating their win, celebrating their great season, and making their case for the playoff, and Franklin is urging fans to show respect for a former Ohio State player. Franklin could have just clapped or could have just smiled, but instead, he put his moment and his team's moment aside to show respect for a former great from a rival school. It may not seem like a big deal to some, but I thought it was a classy move by Franklin.

This gesture on Saturday showed me that Franklin maintains perspective of what is right and good and doesn't make it all about him. He reminds me of another guy who coached the Blue and White. We aren't supposed to speak his name, but you know of whom I am referring.

Good point about McSorley. I didn't watch last year's game, though.

Connor Cook took a lot of heat for seemingly disrespecting Archie by taking the trophy and then turning his back on him. He later apologized. It may have just been an oversight, caught up in the moment, but it played into a negative narrative about Cook along with him not being a team captain.

Franklin is great at propping players up. After the 2nd touchdown you could see him pointing to DaSean Hamilton and yelling "that was because of you!!!". DaSean had a long 3rd down coversion just prior to set up the score. Great motivator!

Last edited:
We are extremely lucky having CJF as head coach. This guy gets it and understands what came before and how and why it developed. I will always remember Coach Franklin's words after the Pinstripe Bowl about "culture", the game where I think the true turnaround began. I really knew we were in good hands right then. I got chills hearing that in the stands that night.

Reactions: aferrelli
Millennials are different. He knows how to work with these.
Classy? Absolutely. Respect for Archie. Yes.

His whisper to McSorley was perfect.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Connor Cook took a lot of heat for seemingly disrespecting Archie by taking the trophy and then turning his back on him. He later apologized. It may have just been an oversight, caught up in the moment, but it played into a negative narrative about Cook along with him not being a team captain.

Thanks. I remember people talking down Cook after he wasn't voted a team captain.

We are extremely lucky having CJF as head coach. This guy gets it and understands what came before and how and why it developed. I will always remember Coach Franklin's words after the Pinstripe Bowl about "culture", the game where I think the true turnaround began. I really knew we were in good hands right then. I got chills hearing that in the stands that night.

My wife and I were at that game. We were of course pumped after the overtime win, but we lost it, in a good way, when he made that statement. It's what I think we all needed to hear.

I think Franklin plays the role of surrogate father figure for his guys. And this is great; there's nothing wrong with Franklin telling one of his guys how to act. I respect this, and think the world of JF.

If you watch closely, you can see Franklin telling Trace to give Archie some love just before he goes on.

Yeah...also thought he may have told him to defer any answers on the questions regarding the CFP committee.

Absolutely. I think Franklin is recruiting good kids but is also teaching them. Again, he reminds me of someone who used to grace our campus.

Vicky Triponey?

lead-3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT