ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin got standing O at Sands Bethlehem tonight

PA college fan

Jun 26, 2001
Auctioned off about 8k worth off stuff for Boys and Girls Club of Allentown— event hosted by realtors. Highest bid was when Franklin offered to have drinks with winner in addition.

He is the real deal. Got to talk to him briefly— he is very genuine and makes everyone comfortable. Talked about time when boys excluded his daughter from playing football at recess. Next day Franklin showed up with Saquon, DeAndre Tompkins and excluded boys at first- then included. Now she is coolest in school. Said Saquon spotted a boy who seemed sad and not included and spent time with him and made a difference.
We have a gem of a coach— kept talking about hard work, sacrifice and taking care of little things— sounds like someone I heard for many decades.

Auctioned off about 8k worth off stuff for Boys and Girls Club of Allentown— event hosted by realtors. Highest bid was when Franklin offered to have drinks with winner in addition.

He is the real deal. Got to talk to him briefly— he is very genuine and makes everyone comfortable. Talked about time when boys excluded his daughter from playing football at recess. Next day Franklin showed up with Saquon, DeAndre Tompkins and excluded boys at first- then included. Now she is coolest in school. Said Saquon spotted a boy who seemed sad and not included and spent time with him and made a difference.
We have a gem of a coach— kept talking about hard work, sacrifice and taking care of little things— sounds like someone I heard for many decades.
That is a great story on a number of levels. :)

Was special night— talked about how nice State College community has been and how it feels like Home— and wanting to coach whole career there. Speech was motivational for life, work, business. His main message was find your passion, whatever it is, and then you will work really hard at it and success will come. You have to own who you are. He has found his niche. He said there is nothing more he wants than leading and educating men at Penn State football, raising his family being surrounded by education and being a family to the players and letting them reach their dreams. He clearly loves life. His message and kindness shone right through and he was warm in person to everyone. He makes a point to talk to school custodians about recruits— if they are nice to custodians, that’s type of player he wants. His mom was a custodian.

Buddy of mine's daughter went to Neshaminy HS with Franklin, I think a year behind him. They were friendly. She was/is a very pretty girl/woman. Anyway, some guy who had a crush on her was giving her some crap over something or other, and he was bothering her. Happened near James, who walked over unprompted and said to the guy, 'If you have a problem with (her), you have a problem with me.' My buddy said his tone wasn't threatening, just assertive.
Thus endeth any issues she may have had with that guy or anyone in his circle of friends.

Apparently his core values are deep-rooted and have evolved as he has grown in a way that allows him to be true to himself. Good for him, good for the team and staff, good for PSU, good for us fans. I hope we keep him for a long, strong run. (Hot seat revivalists will convene after the 1st quarter of the App State game when we are up by only 10-3).

No. Moved out of the area a while back. She is a proud PSU alum, as are her Dad, Mom, brother, and husband. They are all very happy for Franklin's success.
Suffice it to say it's a small world.

f87b290be32e6cec6f655df27ec3e13a--gymnastics-championships-womens-gymnastics.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
I was there last night as well. My favorite part was when CJF made reference to how Penn State likes to keep their coaches for 50+ years and he has no problem with that.

I have met him a few times. He is a genuinely down to earth, kind and considerate man.

As I've related before here, he went thru school with my niece. She would concur with all the kudos directed at CJF here. They still do Christmas Cards and such. She told me what a great person he was when he took the Vandy job.

Reactions: Bob78 and PSU Soupy
I’ve told this here before.

My friends mother, sister and niece were having lunch in Avalon 2 summers ago. CJF was eating at the table next to them.

They simply said hello to him. He got up, sat with them for a few minutes .... and picked up their tab.

Last edited:

Be Penn State Proud.

I predict he will be the first African-American coach to win a D-1 (FBS, 1A or whatever the hell theyre calling the top level of college football) NC. Should that happen - and I think it will - imagine the insane recruiting then

I’ve told this here before.

My friends mother, sister and niece were having lunch in Avalon 2 summers ago. CJF was eating at the table next to them.

They simply said hello to him. He got up, sat with them for a few minutes .... and picked up their tab.
AND he summers in Avalon?? CJF is truly JVP2, yet still his own man.

Reactions: Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT