ADVERTISEMENT

Franco's perspective.........

my stance is that I never care what celebrities think about political issues. While I agree with Franco, I would prefer that athletes and former athletes stay out of politics
I disagree Dan. They are citizens just like you and me. They should have a voice. Where we may agree is that their opinion should not carry more weight than yours or mine.

Great running backs though Brown was superior. A main difference is that Franco ran out of bounds to avoid contact. Jim Brown stayed in bounds and embraced contact.

Not old enough to have seen Jim Brown live. I don't dispute that he was a greater running back by stats and word of mouth. But the Franco ran out of bounds shit is way overblown. He remains one of the greatest big game running backs and got the tough yards when necessary.

Not old enough to have seen Jim Brown live. I don't dispute that he was a greater running back by stats and word of mouth. But the Franco ran out of bounds shit is way overblown. He remains one of the greatest big game running backs and got the tough yards when necessary.
He still ran out of bounds instead of working for more yards. I guess he's was trying to keep his body from getting hit too often. I understand that but that out of bounds move has become status quo save Walter Payton and probably some others. It just wasn't the football that we old guys grew up with.

You may not know this but the rule in the earlier NFL days was that once you tackled a player, you had to keep him down. If you didn't, he could get up and run further. A lot of posters have probably seen film of this from NFL Films. It looks funny.

so he broke the NFL rushing record and ran out of bounds? he must have really freaking good then.
You're quoting the wrong guy. You need to re-read my posts. Brown stayed in bounds. Franco ran out of bounds. Are you referring to Brown or Franco?

You're quoting the wrong guy. You need to re-read my posts. Brown stayed in bounds. Franco ran out of bounds. Are you referring to Brown or Franco?
I am saying if Franco ran out of bounds and still broke Brown's records, just imagine what he'd have done if he didn't stay in bounds.

Reactions: Sullivan
I am saying if Franco ran out of bounds and still broke Brown's records, just imagine what he'd have done if he didn't stay in bounds.
Jim Brown averaged 5.2 yards per carry. Franco averaged 4.1 yards per carry. That's a significant difference.

Franco ran for 590 more yards than Brown but played in 55 more games than Jim.

Brown scored 15 more TDs than Franco while playing in 55 less games.

Brown's 5.2 avg. is the highest in NFL history. Second is Barry Sanders at 5.0.

Jim Brown stayed in bounds and worked for the extra yards.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Yes, you are correct, they should have an opinion, but they aren't paid to voice their opinion at work.

Pretty damn lame argument when their employer does not object, nor are they on the clock until the coin toss, snap of the ball or pregame warm ups. Your argument is specious at best.

Franco and I have been friends for over 4 decades. He is a good and thoughtful person. We became friends while we both attended PSU. He went out of his way offering to help me get to classes for a couple weeks while my car was in the shop. He didn't know me at all but became aware of my problem and offered help. He is a great and earnest person. He is entitled to his first amendment right to say what he believes. Seems more than a little hypocritical to use your first amendment right to criticize the same rights of others.... North Korea, Russian, China, Cuba, Iran are all good places for people that hate our first amendment to emigrate and become ex-patriots, First amendment "Love it or leave it!" I will remind Franco next time we talk that he used to love wearing hoodies when he
drove around State College back in the day. I will speak forthrightly and openly to a friend I admire and respect hoping he understands.

Jim Brown averaged 5.2 yards per carry. Franco averaged 4.1 yards per carry. That's a significant difference.

Franco ran for 590 more yards than Brown but played in 55 more games than Jim.

Brown scored 15 more TDs than Franco while playing in 55 less games.

Brown's 5.2 avg. is the highest in NFL history. Second is Barry Sanders at 5.0.

Jim Brown stayed in bounds and worked for the extra yards.
and only played 8 years...perhaps that is why. I think JB is the best NFL RB of all time. But I never thought Franco ran OOB more or less than the average RB in his time. I was a die hard steeler fan those years and that would have mad me mad. When Franco needed the yards, more often than not, he got the yards. He didn't run OOB any more than Gale Sayers did.

and only played 8 years...perhaps that is why. I think JB is the best NFL RB of all time. But I never thought Franco ran OOB more or less than the average RB in his time. I was a die hard steeler fan those years and that would have mad me mad. When Franco needed the yards, more often than not, he got the yards. He didn't run OOB any more than Gale Sayers did.
Jim Brown played nine years. Other than that, we see things differently. My memory is that Franco owned the trademark for running out of bounds.

Harris's teammate, Preston Pearson, said Franco had a penchant for "running for the Gatorade."

Jim Brown played nine years. Other than that, we see things differently. My memory is that Franco owned the trademark for running out of bounds.

Harris's teammate, Preston Pearson, said Franco had a penchant for "running for the Gatorade."

since he outplayed Pearson, and the Steelers almost always beat Pearson's Cowboys, Pearson probably should have run harder. In fact, if memory serves, Preston Pearson was replaced as a starter by one Frank O'Harris. Think he has an ax to grind?

tumblr_nj3op9JXTi1ren1y6o1_500.png

since he outplayed Pearson, and the Steelers almost always beat Pearson's Cowboys, Pearson probably should have run harder. In fact, if memory serves, Preston Pearson was replaced as a starter by one Frank O'Harris. Think he has an ax to grind?

tumblr_nj3op9JXTi1ren1y6o1_500.png
Oh for crissakes. Franco ran out of bounds on purpose and admits he did, thinking he couldn't gain any more yards. Now nearly everybody does it and Franco started it and it was noticed by players and fans. You're simply in denial.

The end.

Oh for crissakes. Franco ran out of bounds on purpose and admits he did, thinking he couldn't gain any more yards. Now nearly everybody does it and Franco started it and it was noticed by players and fans. You're simply in denial.

The end.
so other running backs don't run our of bounds? Did you know he led the team in rushing for four world championships in six years?

I could have sworn I saw several players do it Saturday. Even #26. But whatever you want to believe.

The guy was one of the best running backs of all time and you think he got there running out of bounds to avoid contact? OK, and Dan Marino didn't like to throw long to lower his completion percentage, Anthony Munoz thought he was too fat and Ronnie Lott didn't like to hit.

Pretty damn lame argument when their employer does not object, nor are they on the clock until the coin toss, snap of the ball or pregame warm ups. Your argument is specious at best.

Franco and I have been friends for over 4 decades. He is a good and thoughtful person. We became friends while we both attended PSU. He went out of his way offering to help me get to classes for a couple weeks while my car was in the shop. He didn't know me at all but became aware of my problem and offered help. He is a great and earnest person. He is entitled to his first amendment right to say what he believes. Seems more than a little hypocritical to use your first amendment right to criticize the same rights of others.... North Korea, Russian, China, Cuba, Iran are all good places for people that hate our first amendment to emigrate and become ex-patriots, First amendment "Love it or leave it!" I will remind Franco next time we talk that he used to love wearing hoodies when he
drove around State College back in the day. I will speak forthrightly and openly to a friend I admire and respect hoping he understands.
Posts that make one go ....."hmmmmmm"

so other running backs don't run our of bounds? Did you know he led the team in rushing for four world championships in six years?

I could have sworn I saw several players do it Saturday. Even #26. But whatever you want to believe.

The guy was one of the best running backs of all time and you think he got there running out of bounds to avoid contact? OK, and Dan Marino didn't like to throw long to lower his completion percentage, Anthony Munoz thought he was too fat and Ronnie Lott didn't like to hit.
Franco ran out of bounds on purpose. He's said so. Now you're talking about current players. In a previous post I wrote that running out of bounds has become status quo. Franco admits it. Isn't that enough for you?

For a smart guy you have some serious blockhead going on in this regard. EVERYBODY except you knows that Franco chose out of bounds over more yardage.

NFM

Franco ran out of bounds on purpose. He's said so. Now you're talking about current players. In a previous post I wrote that running out of bounds has become status quo. Franco admits it. Isn't that enough for you?

For a smart guy you have some serious blockhead going on in this regard. EVERYBODY except you knows that Franco chose out of bounds over more yardage.

NFM
...yeah...and he's got four super bowl rings and broke the career rushing record. JIm Brown ran OOB too...its like the hawks blogger posting that Barkely doesn't take hits. I guess when he steps in and picks up a rushing Lb he doesn't take a hit...ridiculous.

I hated that Franco ran out of bounds when I was a kid. One thing I realized as I've gotten older though is that:
1) Discretion is the better part of valor. Better to gain a healthy 12 yards than 13 and risk injury.
2) Sometimes running out of bounds is the way to get the most yards, depending on the angle a defender has.

I disagree Dan. They are citizens just like you and me. They should have a voice. Where we may agree is that their opinion should not carry more weight than yours or mine.
But most of us who are not millionaire athletes do not get the chance to use their stage to spew their political beliefs...that is what is wrong here about having their voices heard....so their opinion indeed carries more weight than ours...not an even playing field and not a place for political views...I sit down on Sunday and want to relax and watch the game I love...not have to digest all this political bullshit...

NFM

Honestly, you appear to not like Franco. That is the conclusion that one would conclude reading your posts.

Yes, we can all agree that he ran out of bounds during the end of his career. But you seem to only focus on the negative.

I think that says a lot about you. Honestly, if you don't like and respect Franco, you are a pretty sad excuse for a human being.

But most of us who are not millionaire athletes do not get the chance to use their stage to spew their political beliefs...that is what is wrong here about having their voices heard....so their opinion indeed carries more weight than ours...not an even playing field and not a place for political views...I sit down on Sunday and want to relax and watch the game I love...not have to digest all this political bullshit...
I used the words "should not" as opposed to "do not". The weight of an opinion is not determined by the stage on which it is given but by the person who hears it. I personally give no more weight to something said by Ben Roethlisberger than to something said by my neighbor, but then, as an adult, I have never worn a jersey with some athlete's name on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Interesting statement to ponder when people mention the First Amendment protection:

comment section of the article......
“Freedom of speech means the government can't punish you for being critical of them. It says nothing about shielding people from the consequences of their words and actions from other citizens and employers.”

Reactions: kgilbert78

Betcha anyone wearing a "Make America Great" t-shirt would be in trouble. And the argument that they are "not on the clock" because the game has not started is also specious. My rights and responsibilities at my work place do not change whether it's before I boot up my computer or go to my cafe for breakfast or after I boot up my computer for the work day.

There's also a great misunderstanding of "free speech". The constitution guarantees that the government "can make no law". But there often are consequences to the exercise of free speech. Just ask any married man. ;) That includes in the workplace. They are not required to give you a platform.

Franco was so good at running out of bounds, he was voted into the HOF by his peers.

...yeah...and he's got four super bowl rings and broke the career rushing record. JIm Brown ran OOB too...its like the hawks blogger posting that Barkely doesn't take hits. I guess when he steps in and picks up a rushing Lb he doesn't take a hit...ridiculous.
In 55 more games. Your problem is that you have a deep emotional connection to this and can't be objective. I've have none.

Franco Harris ran out of bounds to avoid hits when he could have gained more yardage. This is not a secret.

Last edited:
The problem I have is that when celebs lean one way, the media promotes them as though they speak for all. If they lean the other way, they are painted as a nut case. Like it or not, about half of America leans the same way as the celebrity the media has chosen to paint as a nut case.

In 55 more games. Your problem is that you have a deep emotional connection to this and can't be objective. I've have none.

Franco Harris ran out of bounds to avoid hits when he could have gained more yardage. This is not a secret.
Not as much as Emmitt Smith did, though...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT