ADVERTISEMENT

FoxSports: College football program pecking order 3.0. PSU 1st tier. (Pitt 3rd)

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-66-bcs-teams-into-four-tier-hierarchy-052517

Stewart Mandel @slmandel May 25, 2017 at 11:41a ET
A reader asked me to rank the nation’s power-conference schools by “prestige and place in the national scene.” For reasons I can’t recall, I opted to invoke a Medieval feudal system in dividing the 66 BCS programs at the time into Kings, Knights, Barons and Peasants.

As laid out in that original column, a “national power” is defined by “something more than wins and losses. It’s a certain cachet or aura. It’s the way a program is perceived by the public.”

That perception is derived in large part both by a program’s historical achievements and its more recent accomplishments, but it also encompasses everything from TV contracts to iconic uniforms to famed mascots to … yes, helmets. Prestige arguably shows itself most directly in the annual recruiting rankings, where we usually see the same group of programs finish in the roughly the same range year-in, year-out, regardless of annual ebbs and flows in their win-loss columns.

Kings
Alabama
Clemson
Florida
Florida State
LSU
Miami
Michigan
Nebraska

Notre Dame
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Penn State
Texas
USC

mc-penn-state-s-james-franklin-wins-another-national-coaching-award-20170110

But, but, but, Pitt has some All Pro players in the NFL so that makes them kings of the college football world.

Why does every football thread have a Pitt reference? Shows that some on here are as obsessed with them as they are with us. If they are irrelevant, don't continue to bring them up.

Why does every football thread that mentions pitt have some yahoo chime in telling everyone they're obsessed with pitt for mentioning them and, if they really didn't care about pitt, they wouldn't even talk about them?

Why does every football thread have a Pitt reference? Shows that some on here are as obsessed with them as they are with us. If they are irrelevant, don't continue to bring them up.
My guess is that the folks who always mention Pitt are either from Pittsburgh or they went to PSU during the time when Pitt was a true competitive rival to PSU. Neither applies to me, so when I look at these sort of lists it never even crosses my mind to see where Pitt is ranked. I hold no grudge against those who focus on that. Luckily I can ignore threads about Pitt's "culture" as easily as I can those about breakfast places.

You do realize we're in the middle of a four game series with them, right? You also realize they are in the same state we are, right? I mean WVU posts about Marshall all the time and Marshall has never beaten them in football and they don't even play each other anymore. The two biggest universities in the same state will always trade insults and jabs at each other. It is what it is and until Pitt moves out of the state of PA, it always will be. The more we can do to continually point out the shortcomings of Pitt, the more it will help us stay on top of the hill while they look up at us.

I just note with respect to the OP that the writer specifically excluded/removed Nebraska from his 2017 list.

I just note with respect to the OP that the writer specifically excluded/removed Nebraska from his 2017 list.

I sort of question Miami being in the top tier, when one is considering all-time CFB blue blood programs. No question that they were top dog for many years, but prior to the 1980's and over the past 10 years, they aren't quite the all-time program as many of the others in the top tier.

I sort of question Miami being in the top tier, when one is considering all-time CFB blue blood programs. No question that they were top dog for many years, but prior to the 1980's and over the past 10 years, they aren't quite the all-time program as many of the others in the top tier.
Clemson is the one I question. Recent success, absolutely. But year-in, year-out historically?

Clemson is the one I question. Recent success, absolutely. But year-in, year-out historically?

Miami and Clemson are the two probably in that list that are the biggest questions. Clemson from a historical standpoint, although they did have some nice runs in the 80's. Miami is living in past somewhat and a program on the decline and unless they cheat, has been shown not to be able to compete. And I don't see that changing with college football being a continued arms race of who is building the latest upgrade as Miami is falling way behind in that standpoint as they don't have the money nor the fanbase/alums to keep up.

Yeah, why talk about Pitt when you can start a multi-page thread on this site(a football forum mind you) about favorite breakfast place.
Aw, man!!! I must have missed that thread!! I need to pay better attention. Hopefully I'll be able to jump into the next thread about smoking meat in the RV lot.

This is WHY with our 1 OOC game we should only play Kings or Barons. Playing less means we have EVERYTHING to lose. Pitt is a perfect example. If we win, well it's Pitt. If we lose, what is wrong with the PSU program?

A few more years of that top notch Narduzzi recruiting and coaching, when Stewart revisits in 5 years we'll see Pitt as a Peasant.

Captain Cindy O'Reilly can't believe that Pitt isn't Tier I!!!!!!After all Coach Pat is a defensive genius and smart recruits pick Pitt because they all get into the NFL Hall of Fame.

Reactions: humpydudas19
The Liar members are literally fighting with each other and calling one another names over this. Some agree and others dont. The board always brings me great levity.

Well if they want to read the truth about how they've fared the past 30 years and separate fact from the fiction Pitt websites feed them, they should read this:

https://johnbaranowski.wordpress.co...t-blue-and-gold-tinted-glasses-misperception/

Teams that are not even listed on a tier have finished a season ranked higher than Pitt has in the past 30 years. Teams such as East Carolina, Central Florida, Miami of Ohio, Tulane, and Western Michigan to name just a few.

Cincinnati, a team that fell off Mandel's list entirely, had five 10-win seasons in the past 30 years; Pitt one.

I wonder if this is the same guy who keeps coming up with names with PSU in it and reminding us that Pitt won, or if there are just a bunch of Pitt trolls with nothing better to do.
Hell, it's not like they go to football games.

Reactions: john4psu
Captain Cindy Reilly's answer to PSU top ranking!But,but,but,but the Clery Act the Clery Act look at the Clery Act.No way Joe wins unless his buddy's are on the official crew.But,but,but Psu had the biggest cover-up in the hstory of cover-ups.We have the great Coach Pat at Pitt.He coached under the legendary Dantonio at that Model of Integrity that Pitt hopes to copy,Michigan State!We have everything a top program needs except maybe wins,fans,football stadium and national appeal!But,but,but Joe knew!

Captain Cindy Reilly's answer to PSU top ranking!But,but,but,but the Clery Act the Clery Act look at the Clery Act.No way Joe wins unless his buddy's are on the official crew.But,but,but Psu had the biggest cover-up in the hstory of cover-ups.We have the great Coach Pat at Pitt.He coached under the legendary Dantonio at that Model of Integrity that Pitt hopes to copy,Michigan State!We have everything a top program needs except maybe wins,fans,football stadium and national appeal!But,but,but Joe knew!
And don't forget we never discipline players or kick anyone off the team (except for the guy that got kicked off and is now at Pitt), but, but, but...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT