ADVERTISEMENT

For your consideration: Vote Laurie Stanell for Alumni Trustee

Mary QBA

Dec 4, 2014
It’s Alumni Trustee election time again. The voting starts this Tuesday, when you may (or may not) get a e-ballot in your inbox. Here’s a link if it doesn’t show up by Friday .

There are four candidates running this year, and I would respectfully ask that you look carefully at all of them. From what I have seen, Laurie Stanell and Brandon Short are the only candidates who have working websites. Alvin deLevie seems to be sticking to Facebook, and I have no idea what’s going on with Rob Tribeck’s website.

After seven years, I'm not interested in what a BOT candidate promises they will do. Flat out, tell me what you have done in the last, oh, five years that demonstrates you’re going to get on the Board of Trustees and continue to work. My vote will say “keep doing what you’re doing” not “here’s another credential for your resume”.

I want to see Laurie Stanell elected because she works hard, she shows up everywhere, and she’s not afraid to speak out (or get yelled at by Dr Barron). She's been to more than 16 BOT meetings, has spoken at them, and so bless her she’s going into this with eyes wide open.

I’m also impressed with the way she is running her campaign – accessible, forthright, and independent. She’s not letting a bunch of guys deny her a seat at the table or tell her “sorry, we never thought you’d get the nomination and things were worked out months ago, try again next year.”

I’ve known Laurie for four years, since I called her and begged her to run for a seat on Alumni Council because Deb Beidel needed help. She said absolutely, anything for Deb, and then ran, won, and has kicked butt. Since then I have heard nothing but “MaryQBA, we have to do more.” Frankly I’m exhausted. She will drive Mark Dambly nuts.

Laurie needs support. I encourage you to evaluate her candidacy--her website is http://www.stanell4trustee.com , you can email her at laurie@stanell4trustee.com , or go to her Facebook group and post a question or statement. If you decide that Laurie deserves your vote, it would help if you suggest to alumni friends and family that they do the same.

In gratitude for everyone’s effort, if Laurie is elected I will tell you a story. It’s a short story and would interest many members of this forum. I will post it here on May 4th, the day after the election.

Like most of you, I am very tired of people who promise sunshine and then don’t deliver. I’m tired of supposed bombshells, reveals, and trustees teasing like 8th graders in study hall and then getting amnesia. To demonstrate that I’m sincere, I found a fiduciary to hold the story draft. In escrow, so to speak. This person is well-known on BWI-McAndrew and trusted by me. They have it in their possession, have read it, and can tell you themselves whether or not it has value.

During the voting period (which ends May 3rd at 9 am) this person cannot share the story with anyone, but if Laurie wins a seat and I don't post the story they will. If Laurie isn't elected we have agreed that neither of us can post it because we’re going to be doing this all again next year.

Thank you for supporting Laurie.

LAS-lawnsign-14.5x23-28March2018-01.jpg

I find Laurie to be a very credible candidate and worthy of strong consideration. I'm among those who wish PS4RS had held at least one town hall 'debate' among all candidates, including Barry, and allowed the interested masses decide who the top three candidates would be getting their endorsement. But, it is what it is, and Laurie and Barry have to put in some extra effort to win a seat as a result. Good luck to all candidates - despite what Barry will say in response to me (;)), I think we have a good and rather intriguing slate of candidates this year.

That said, running a "tease" about a story to be held in abeyance until and unless Laurie is elected is, imo, such an ironic parallel to the critique you've made about the "teases" made by other elected Trustees, that it does not sit well with me. It's unnecessary. Why even mention it if the story is not be told unless certain conditions are met? What value is that tease to us as we consider the candidates' attributes? I'd rather it was not mentioned at all, and then simply revealed when and if Laurie wants it to be. Just my opinion, but I think that is a more professional and more sincere approach.

I plan to give Laurie strong consideration in the upcoming days.

There is one VERY significant difference......
MaryQBA has committed to having that information revealed - by placing that information into the hands of a third party with specific instructions to hold her accountable.

“Accountable” is a rare quality wrt leadership issues at Penn State.

Yes, accountability is a very good thing. (From Faber College, c. 1964 or so?)

Seriously, I already believe that Laurie will bring accountability to the position should she win.

But no reveal until/unless Laurie is elected in 2018, and held in abeyance again for the 2019 election. And then what if not elected again? I ain't gettin' any younger!

Why not simply give the back story once it is revealed? Do we need the build-up, the tease? This isn't Geraldo opening a vault on TV.

This does nothing to help Laurie as a candidate, imo, and serves to possibly detract from focusing on all her outstanding qualifications as a candidate. And if the story is one that paints Laurie in a positive light or otherwise adds to her credentials as a candidate, then why not reveal it now, before voting begins? No votes are going to be cast because of the promise of a story. At least, I don't think....

Again, just my opinion.

But I've been wrong before... and you've certainly let me know it! :)

I think most folks know the role that MaryQBA has played in one very specific task - - - - hint: it has something to do with the work of a certain former FBI Clown .

I also think most folks are aware of how that work has been “handled” to date.
I think it is safe to say that the story MQBA has to share has less to do with LAS’s qualifications (FWIW, I will be discussing some info - most of which will not be currently known by most folks - regarding the various candidates. Probably post that in the next day or two. Suffice to say, wrt LAS, I think an intelligent, engaged participant will certainly list LAS on their ballot)
Given the OP’s background - I think many (CERTAINLY ANYONE concerned w PSU Governance) would find her perspective to be both interesting and valuable...... and less likely to be about LAS specifically - and more about the dysfunction of PSU Governance fiduciaries.

Good input; thank you.
I respect Mary's input and insights a lot and follow her remarks whenever I see them - here and Twitter.

You just clarified for her what I think she should have stated more clearly. It appeared to me, a half-brained farte d'olde, that she was tying the story to Laurie as a candidate. Any lines between the story being hers and not Laurie's were blurred, imo.

Still don't understand the tease, though. Why? Just tell the story when you're ready to.

I look forward to your remarks as well. Good luck to you in your quest for a seat on the BOT.

Reactions: step.eng69
Again, just my opinion.

Bob78, I also respect and value your opinion highly. And in no way do I want to take away from the strength and validity of Laurie as a candidate.

I would like to tell a story, but at the same time I am very concerned about the coordinated bullying I'm seeing from the people whom we've elected and their surrogates. This doesn't seem to phase Laurie one iota but it creeps the crap out of me.

You touched on it with PS4RS's failure to provide an open forum for all the candidates. I have run PS4RS's technical platform for several years, and after I found out everything would definitely be done in secret (the weekend of March 3rd) I offered to either 1) just post all the candidates bio's, statements, and contact information on ps4rs.org as I have done every previous year and/or 2) run a SurveyMonkey vote for PS4RS members to decide who will be the nominees, as we did in 2016.

Both options would have zero cost, since the yearly fees had been paid. I understand that PS4RS is having serious financial difficulties and that the Town Hall broadcasts, while very useful, were unsustainable. Both free options were rejected by PS4RS because, according to Maribeth Schmidt, 'desperate times call for desperate measures'.

With this point of view, it is my personal decision that Laurie needs all the help she can get (I have not discussed this with her and I think she'd disagree with me). I feel that this group might need a motivation to not just vote for her, but to help others be aware of her candidacy. If you can think of another motivation please let me know.

I have two goals: I want to see Laurie on the BOT because she's great, and I want to thank the members of this excellent forum for their support through the years by telling them a story. None of us are getting any younger, but if you feel the end is near please email me at MaryQBA83 at gmail.com and we can discuss this in more detail (you're welcome to email me even if you're feeling great).

Bob78, I also respect and value your opinion highly. And in no way do I want to take away from the strength and validity of Laurie as a candidate.

I would like to tell a story, but at the same time I am very concerned about the coordinated bullying I'm seeing from the people whom we've elected and their surrogates. This doesn't seem to phase Laurie one iota but it creeps the crap out of me.

You touched on it with PS4RS's failure to provide an open forum for all the candidates. I have run PS4RS's technical platform for several years, and after I found out everything would definitely be done in secret (the weekend of March 3rd) I offered to either 1) just post all the candidates bio's, statements, and contact information on ps4rs.org as I have done every previous year and/or 2) run a SurveyMonkey vote for PS4RS members to decide who will be the nominees, as we did in 2016.

Both options would have zero cost, since the yearly fees had been paid. I understand that PS4RS is having serious financial difficulties and that the Town Hall broadcasts, while very useful, were unsustainable. Both free options were rejected by PS4RS because, according to Maribeth Schmidt, 'desperate times call for desperate measures'.

With this point of view, it is my personal decision that Laurie needs all the help she can get (I have not discussed this with her and I think she'd disagree with me). I feel that this group might need a motivation to not just vote for her, but to help others be aware of her candidacy. If you can think of another motivation please let me know.

I have two goals: I want to see Laurie on the BOT because she's great, and I want to thank the members of this excellent forum for their support through the years by telling them a story. None of us are getting any younger, but if you feel the end is near please email me at MaryQBA83 at gmail.com and we can discuss this in more detail (you're welcome to email me even if you're feeling great).

Thanks for the reply, Mary!
My age has a "6" hitting in the lead-off spot, so I never know if the end is near or not!

I appreciate your response, and I am disappointed to hear that we have candidates sitting at the cool kids table and excluding others. All are worthy candidates and should be working together in some respects through the pre-election process, even with the competition they face with each others' candidacy. Just my opinion.

I think that by advocating and posting here, on Facebook, and on Twitter, you're reaching a large segment of the interested audience, so I have no other suggestions for you. I certainly hope Laurie's candidacy is widely known by all interested alums who plan to vote.

I am a believer in keeping messages simple, and not creating or enabling distractions that overshadow the message, so my reaction to the story angle came from that approach.

Just as I once tried to make a suggestion to Barry about his bloody-nose approach to messaging (fun times!), I can see again that my free advice is worth to its targets what it costs them. Good intentions, but for naught. (I wonder if that will deter me next time?!)

Here's hoping I'm around to read the story, whenever it is posted. And as I've said, I'm approaching this election with an open mind, so Laurie has my attention. Good luck to her, and again, thanks for responding to my posts in this topic.

This has angered me because I have not given anyone permission to link me to any of the BOT candidates.

Deb, I'm surprised as well. This thread is about why I am asking our friends here to consider voting for Laurie, and I wanted to give background. Because our correspondence, beginning December 1, 2014 and numbering over 239 emails relating to your request to help find qualified candidates to run for Alumni Council, is between you and I and others, I won't post your direct quotes. But since you're bringing it up, you were happy to have everyone because you were alone in saying 'hold on there, this isn't right' on Alumni Council.

I got 11 people to run as a slate and we got 9 elected the first year and 4 the next year (in now small part to the efforts of our friends on this forum). You were thrilled with this. I have no idea if anyone contacted your directly or on Facebook or whatever, and I wasn't aware that was one of your criteria.

If people want to sort back through our posts on this board they will see the wholehearted support we gave you. I am sorry that that support is now not to your liking, or that a woman who supported you and is now running for the Board of Trustees is not worthy of your support. It's your choice, but perhaps just saying 'good luck but I'm voting for the guys' would be a better look.

Fine and sorry everyone, there will be no fight. I have no time for this. This is not about the sex of the candidates or who is worthy of my support. I get one ballot like everyone else. My point, Mary, is that you are good with words and your initial post could have been made without including my name. That is all I am asking.

One of the reasons "they" keep winning is "they" manage to maintain a united front. The rebel alliance has way too many internal squabbles that go public. Just like in most areas of life, the pros are kicking the azzes of the amateurs, as they have for 6 1/2 years.

FWIW:

There are more than the 3 Alumni seats up for a “Re-do” this year........

Including - among others - the 2 Governor appointee seats held by Bob Capretto (the Real Estate guy and partner with Ira Lubert in the Penn State Research Park Boondoggle - who is now setting up shop with the Commonwealth-awarded pot license), and Elliot Weinstein.

Those two were Wolfs first appointees - - - and were trumpeted, when they were appointed, as guys who would champion the Statue Trustees agenda and provide support for the A9.

Threee years later and - obviously and predictably - that has not materialized.

Over the last two years, Wolf has appointed the standard “Mark Dambly-esque” Cast of characters - Lawyer, Real Estate Guy, Harrisburg Lobbyist, and - for “diversity” - a McDonalds franchisee.

What will he do this year?

Re-up Capretto And Weinstein? (Has Capretto, like Lubrano and McCombie “done his duty” - and will be moving on?)
Boot them and grab a couple of Harrisburg cronies? Placate some guy looking for entre into the Honey-Pot?

Have to wait and see.
I honestly have never understood the “love” shared by many on this board for Bob Capretto.

Reactions: Mary QBA
"Vote for me and I'll tell you a story."

I can't believe that happened.

Regardless, let's get some candidates who show us that they care about academics, first and foremost, and other campus activities second (this includes athletics, among other things), going forward ... and don't have the Freeh report mentioned as the centerpiece of one of their primary concerns (with another primary concern being instituting a former football coach's motto as that of the University as a whole).

We have to get some perspective here, people.

Reactions: BBrown
"Vote for me and I'll tell you a story."

I can't believe that happened.

Regardless, let's get some candidates who show us that they care about academics, first and foremost, and other campus activities second (this includes athletics, among other things), going forward ... and don't have the Freeh report mentioned as the centerpiece of one of their primary concerns (with another primary concern being instituting a former football coach's motto as that of the University as a whole).

We have to get some perspective here, people.

What year did Keegan Michael Key graduate?

It’s Alumni Trustee election time again. The voting starts this Tuesday, when you may (or may not) get a e-ballot in your inbox. Here’s a link if it doesn’t show up by Friday .

There are four candidates running this year, and I would respectfully ask that you look carefully at all of them. From what I have seen, Laurie Stanell and Brandon Short are the only candidates who have working websites. Alvin deLevie seems to be sticking to Facebook, and I have no idea what’s going on with Rob Tribeck’s website.

After seven years, I'm not interested in what a BOT candidate promises they will do. Flat out, tell me what you have done in the last, oh, five years that demonstrates you’re going to get on the Board of Trustees and continue to work. My vote will say “keep doing what you’re doing” not “here’s another credential for your resume”.

I want to see Laurie Stanell elected because she works hard, she shows up everywhere, and she’s not afraid to speak out (or get yelled at by Dr Barron). She's been to more than 16 BOT meetings, has spoken at them, and so bless her she’s going into this with eyes wide open.

I’m also impressed with the way she is running her campaign – accessible, forthright, and independent. She’s not letting a bunch of guys deny her a seat at the table or tell her “sorry, we never thought you’d get the nomination and things were worked out months ago, try again next year.”

I’ve known Laurie for four years, since I called her and begged her to run for a seat on Alumni Council because Deb Beidel needed help. She said absolutely, anything for Deb, and then ran, won, and has kicked butt. Since then I have heard nothing but “MaryQBA, we have to do more.” Frankly I’m exhausted. She will drive Mark Dambly nuts.

Laurie needs support. I encourage you to evaluate her candidacy--her website is http://www.stanell4trustee.com , you can email her at laurie@stanell4trustee.com , or go to her Facebook group and post a question or statement. If you decide that Laurie deserves your vote, it would help if you suggest to alumni friends and family that they do the same.

In gratitude for everyone’s effort, if Laurie is elected I will tell you a story. It’s a short story and would interest many members of this forum. I will post it here on May 4th, the day after the election.

Like most of you, I am very tired of people who promise sunshine and then don’t deliver. I’m tired of supposed bombshells, reveals, and trustees teasing like 8th graders in study hall and then getting amnesia. To demonstrate that I’m sincere, I found a fiduciary to hold the story draft. In escrow, so to speak. This person is well-known on BWI-McAndrew and trusted by me. They have it in their possession, have read it, and can tell you themselves whether or not it has value.

During the voting period (which ends May 3rd at 9 am) this person cannot share the story with anyone, but if Laurie wins a seat and I don't post the story they will. If Laurie isn't elected we have agreed that neither of us can post it because we’re going to be doing this all again next year.

Thank you for supporting Laurie.

LAS-lawnsign-14.5x23-28March2018-01.jpg
I served with Laurie on Alumni Council for three years. I witnessed first hand her tenacity and courage to speak out. She has my vote.

Reactions: Mary QBA
Have questions for Laurie? Would you like to talk university budget and/or Penn State wrestling with her for a few hours?

Tonight she will be visiting the York Alumni Society mixer at Golden Crust Pizza at 59 East Broadway in Red Lion, PA from 6 - 8 pm. To see where else she's been and where she'll be, go to her website http://stanell4trustee.com/

LAS-meet-York-11April2018.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT