ADVERTISEMENT

For years, fans on this message board pointed to next year. Glad that is over.

NewEra 2014

Jan 3, 2014
We all remember it, going back to the late 1990's. "Penn State is an OK team this year. But next year, we will be really great and challenge for the MNC." I swear that you could find those sorts of posts on this board every single year. And nearly every year, the same posts cropped up the next season, just like clockwork. The mark of a program that wasn't quite as good as it had been.

In 2017, the common perception was that this year was, finally, The Year. There is no doubt that this team was good enough to challenge for the CFP. It hasn't happened, but it has still been a fine season. I have really appreciated the season, knowing that it is really, really hard to make the playoffs, particularly out of the BIG East Division. Also, keep in mind that the BIG put us against Mich, OSU, and MSU back-to-back-back, just to make it fair for the rest of the division.

I think some folks are disappointed because we have been through more than 20 years of generally not being good enough. In the back of everyone's mind is the thought that it will be another 20+ years before Penn State has a team that is this good again. Not the case, folks. Get used to being in the conversation once again, nearly every year. It reminds me of the 70's and 80's around this program again. Enjoy it.

We all remember it, going back to the late 1990's. "Penn State is an OK team this year. But next year, we will be really great and challenge for the MNC." I swear that you could find those sorts of posts on this board every single year. And nearly every year, the same posts cropped up the next season, just like clockwork. The mark of a program that wasn't quite as good as it had been.

In 2017, the common perception was that this year was, finally, The Year. There is no doubt that this team was good enough to challenge for the CFP. It hasn't happened, but it has still been a fine season. I have really appreciated the season, knowing that it is really, really hard to make the playoffs, particularly out of the BIG East Division. Also, keep in mind that the BIG put us against Mich, OSU, and MSU back-to-back-back, just to make it fair for the rest of the division.

I think some folks are disappointed because we have been through more than 20 years of generally not being good enough. In the back of everyone's mind is the thought that it will be another 20+ years before Penn State has a team that is this good again. Not the case, folks. Get used to being in the conversation once again, nearly every year. It reminds me of the 70's and 80's around this program again. Enjoy it.
Great post. I thought this comment was particularly amusing: Also, keep in mind that the BIG put us against Mich, OSU, and MSU back-to-back-back, just to make it fair for the rest of the division.

Great post. I thought this comment was particularly amusing: Also, keep in mind that the BIG put us against Mich, OSU, and MSU back-to-back-back, just to make it fair for the rest of the division.
I think you will see the b1g stop back-loading its schedule like they did for the top teams this year. Keep a big game for late in the season but the b1g expects whoever wins the conference to win all of those late-season matchups and it is a bad strategy at a conference level (certainly in the East division). Of course, if you're Wisconsin it doesn't matter because of that shitty division.

Reactions: Howie'81
I don't know, I think it's next year when we can finally stop pointing to next season. And then we're there. If not next year, then I'd say the year after that we certainly won't have to point to the season after or maybe even one more year but probably in the next few years we won't be pointing anymore. We'll be there.

Pig Poop ! 4 years ago I said it would be CJF's 5th year b/4 we could expect some super outcomes. 5th year coming up and WE LOOK READY!

Reactions: Howie'81
I honestly think that this was a team that legitimately was in the hunt for CFP. I don't want to whine about injuries, but PSU suffered a couple of pretty critical losses at the least capable positions on the team to absorb the injuries, OL & DL.

We are most critical of our own team. From my own perspective, I thought that certain "weaknesses" in the running game were exposed as early as the Pitt game - without the Bates injury. Watching the best running back at PSU in a long, long time getting stuffed before he could get started was difficult.

The reality is that next season will show even more improvement overall on this team. The young OL will continue to mature as will the young DL and DBs. Replace #26 (and I also think #24 is a special kind of running back) and #88 and the sky could be the limit.

Maryland, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland

Next year will only be better if the coaches adjust and adapt better to what is happening. Last year on their run it seemed like they figured it out as the game was going on. Since usc something has changed with their approach especially when they have the lead. If they can figure that out we will be on our way!

Remember when the team went bowling and everyone believed that was going to bring us out of the dark years because... well they were being a team?

LdN

I think you will see the b1g stop back-loading its schedule like they did for the top teams this year. Keep a big game for late in the season but the b1g expects whoever wins the conference to win all of those late-season matchups and it is a bad strategy at a conference level (certainly in the East division).

Don't understand the "back-loading" - more like "mid-season loading." And this really appears to be just an unfortunate quirk in the schedule for PSU.

"Big game for late in the season" is THE game, as Fox told us all last week, it's THE Ohio State University and THE Michigan Wolverines. And if you don't know that you ain't in the Big Ten, buddy!

Bottom line is that the way it is now, was, and forever shall be is that the B1G schedule will forever align against THE game at the end of the season. I don't like it any more than you do but it's not gonna change.

If you miss the constantly pointing to next year, just follow the Penn State basketball program. You will get your fill there.

Reactions: Osprey Lion
If you miss the constantly pointing to next year, just follow the Penn State basketball program. You will get your fill there.

Good point. The Penn State football program for the last 20 years was similar to the basketball program now. There is definitely talent on the roster--is it as good as we think it is? I am hopeful that the hoops program will finally break through this year, but I would get really excited for them if they can make the NCAA tourney every 3 out of 5 years. We aren't there yet.

So true. The future is very bright.

I think you will see the b1g stop back-loading its schedule like they did for the top teams this year. Keep a big game for late in the season but the b1g expects whoever wins the conference to win all of those late-season matchups and it is a bad strategy at a conference level (certainly in the East division). Of course, if you're Wisconsin it doesn't matter because of that shitty division.

yep...but part of that is because the B1G is the tOSU/UM network. They preserve that game (meaningless this year) at any cost. That causes them to have to play PSU & MSU mid B1G season...and that is causing the Back to Back to Back scheduling.

That was a really good post and it's great to be in the conversation as a powerhouse again, as we will be

Needs some play makers! Zero WRs..starters are below average. Hamler looks good
On defense there isn't one impact player. This team needs those kind of players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT