ADVERTISEMENT

For all you nut cases on the message board

rub some dirt on it and get back to work
-my old man (and most of his generation)
Mine too. Then my mom would come along and have me wash it for 5 minutes to get the dirt off so it wouldn't get infected. Then she would put iodine on it to kill what was left. If you are not familiar with iodine, it's reddish orange and so I not only felt bad, I looked bad, but I guess the stuff worked.

Mine too. Then my mom would come along and have me wash it for 5 minutes to get the dirt off so it wouldn't get infected. Then she would put iodine on it to kill what was left. If you are not familiar with iodine, it's reddish orange and so I not only felt bad, I looked bad, but I guess the stuff worked.
if it didn't hurt, it wasn't any good:p

Preferred the safety orange tint of Mercurochrome.

if it didn't hurt, it wasn't any good:p
My father grew up on a farm and ended up in the suburbs. One morning when I was in second grade, I told my parents that I didn't feel well and didn't want to go to school. I really didn't feel well. My mother agreed. Our doctor lived up the street. My father was a little peeved, grabbed me by the arm and took me straight to the doctor's office. I had tonsillitis. Thank goodness. I passed the test. He still wasn't happy about it.

My father grew up on a farm and ended up in the suburbs. One morning when I was in second grade, I told my parents that I didn't feel well and didn't want to go to school. I really didn't feel well. My mother agreed. Our doctor lived up the street. My father was a little peeved, grabbed me by the arm and took me straight to the doctor's office. I had tonsillitis. Thank goodness. I passed the test. He still wasn't happy about it.

Ah, that reminds me of a time when I was in 4th grade. I had a test and I hadn't studied, so I told my mom I was sick. I groaned and tried to look as bad as I could. She said she would take my temperature, so she stuck a thermometer under my tongue and told me to leave it there for a few minutes and she would be back. I knew I didn't have a temperature, but the furnace was running, so I put the thermometer on the vent and when I heard my mom coming, put it under my tongue. She came in, looked at it and said, "Get dressed, you're going to school". I said "Mom, I have a fever". She said, "if your temperature was this high, you'd be dead". I guess I over did the furnace part. Anyway, I went to school and it turns out the teacher was sick and the sub did not want to give the test, so I got extra time to study and passed it. Funny how life works.:)

Ah, that reminds me of a time when I was in 4th grade. I had a test and I hadn't studied, so I told my mom I was sick. I groaned and tried to look as bad as I could. She said she would take my temperature, so she stuck a thermometer under my tongue and told me to leave it there for a few minutes and she would be back. I knew I didn't have a temperature, but the furnace was running, so I put the thermometer on the vent and when I heard my mom coming, put it under my tongue. She came in, looked at it and said, "Get dressed, you're going to school". I said "Mom, I have a fever". She said, "if your temperature was this high, you'd be dead". I guess I over did the furnace part. Anyway, I went to school and it turns out the teacher was sick and the sub did not want to give the test, so I got extra time to study and passed it. Funny how life works.:)
That's worthy of a movie scene.

giphy.gif

My son wrecked his bike and hurt his wrist. I put some ice on it and laid him on the sofa for a day. He complained it was sore for several days. Years later, he hurt it again and got an x-ray. Turns out he broke it back when he wrecked his bike. I will feel bad about that until the day I die. Problem is, as a father, you don't know when you are coddling and when you need to pull the rip chord.

giphy.gif

My son wrecked his bike and hurt his wrist. I put some ice on it and laid him on the sofa for a day. He complained it was sore for several days. Years later, he hurt it again and got an x-ray. Turns out he broke it back when he wrecked his bike. I will feel bad about that until the day I die. Problem is, as a father, you don't know when you are coddling and when you need to pull the rip chord.

Yeah, when I was in second grade I got kicked, hard, in the shin while playing soccer on the playground. My dad is a Marine, and when he comes home at the end of the day I'm laying in bed. He demands I come to the dinner table. I can't walk, so I crawl. Once there, he sees how much pain I'm in and takes me to the ER - turns out I have a fractured shin. He took that pretty hard.

giphy.gif

Yep. Broke my thumb in third grade. Nobody believed me that it was broken. I mean nobody (school nurse, mother, father, siblings), except my one sister who was old enough to drive and take me to the no longer in existence Haverford Hospital. I had a broken thumb. When I got home, I got in the "I told you sos." After I did that, though, nobody was going to apologize. I had overstepped.

Last edited:

If it didn't burn it wasn't working.:D

So the moral of the story is.....if you try to scam, you'll be rewarded. I wish I had learned that 50-some years ago!

My mom was a nurse = I never had a sick day from school!

I still use a bottle from 1979 from a drugstore chain long out of business...and it still burns when applied and is orange, so it must still be in shelf life.
Check your label. I remember Mercurochrome NOT burning...but Merthiolate hurt like all get out. My parents kept both in the bathroom cabinet. Do I have this backwords?

Yep. Broke my thumb in third grade. Nobody believed me that it was broken. I mean nobody (school nurse, mother, father, siblings), except my one sister who was old enough to drive and take me to the no longer in existence Haverford Hospital. I had a broken thumb. When I got home, I got in the "I told you sos." After I did that, though, nobody was going to apologize. I had overstepped.

ha, I first thought of the Haverford State Hospital, a mental/psychiatric facility, which is also long gone (I moved from Haverford Twp. in 1966); was it Haverford Hospital that became Mercy Community Hospital? Is Bryn Mawr Hospital still around?

sorry for the Delaware County trivia...

Mercurochrome.

ha, I first thought of the Haverford State Hospital, a mental/psychiatric facility, which is also long gone (I moved from Haverford Twp. in 1966); was it Haverford Hospital that became Mercy Community Hospital? Is Bryn Mawr Hospital still around?

sorry for the Delaware County trivia...
HA! I've never been confined.

Looks like Mercy Community Hospital closed in 2002. Bryn Mawr Hospital, where I was born, is definitely still thriving. My brother was there not long ago for some Parkinson's related treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT