ADVERTISEMENT

For all the David Jones fans you'll love this picture.

Agree. I always thought Ron Bracken was an ahole.

Agree. Overall, in comparison to other big time in-state programs, the PA press core covering Penn St is much more "critical" of Penn St, than say the AL press core covering Bama, the OH press core covering OSU..... I don't know if it was years of Paterno badgering and belittling the press?? But other big time programs almost get a 'free pass' or even 'cheerleader type' coverage, from their in-state press core. Here in GA, the local press almost say "Go dawgs" after asking Kirby Smart a fluff question.

The overwhelming number of these ass-clowns in the media are no more qualified to have an opinion on football than you or me. They are more qualified than us to report "actual" information, because they have access to information we do not. Davey Jones, or any of these boobs has the great privilege of asking a Coach or Player a direct question. That gives them access to information we do not have. But when a guy like Davey Jones writes an article saying "Penn State should do this...." or "Penn State should do that..." or "James Franklin needs to do this...".... Well, that just pure crap, because in general terms this guy is not any more qualified or any more knowledgeable about the game of football than 90% of "Joe Average Fan".

Absolutely! Sports opinion writers of days gone by had the advantage of not only having access to the players and coaches but also being able to see many/all of the games. The average fan had neither. So the opinions of those writers carried more weight because, presumably, that opinion was based on information that the reader did not have access to. Now, all of us can watch every game. There is so much information available if you want it. So now it is much, much easier to see if an opinion is based on facts or just some guy's agenda.

Agree. Overall, in comparison to other big time in-state programs, the PA press core covering Penn St is much more "critical" of Penn St, than say the AL press core covering Bama, the OH press core covering OSU..... I don't know if it was years of Paterno badgering and belittling the press?? But other big time programs almost get a 'free pass' or even 'cheerleader type' coverage, from their in-state press core. Here in GA, the local press almost say "Go dawgs" after asking Kirby Smart a fluff question.

The only papers I know of or have seen that is as equally aggressive in their negative coverage of a team is the online NJ site that is pretty critical of Rutgers. and one of the Detroit papers is not real positive when it comes to Michy.

That's true......rather than "root for", it's better to say "cover with enthusiasm". We don't need our beat writers sitting there cheering for PSU, but at least pretend as if you give a shit about the subject matter.
Oh, he does. He consistently sh—s all over the subject. But for as awful as we think he is, he’s received that consistent paycheck for a long time.

Contrarianism sells. What other “journalist” comes close to notoriety here, other than maybe Sara Ganim?

Oh, he does. He consistently sh—s all over the subject. But for as awful as we think he is, he’s received that consistent paycheck for a long time.

Contrarianism sells. What other “journalist” comes close to notoriety here, other than maybe Sara Ganim?

Honestly I don’t really see that as much of an accomplishment. His industry is dying in large part due to the attitude he holds about his readership. Without huge national conglomerates propping them up the Patriot would have gone under years ago. People in the mid state can go to any large coastal publication to get the identical take as John Micek on progressive politics or read snark from any number of Philly or New York sportswriters. Jones’ whole existence seems to center on being an asshole. I would say it is schtick but he is such a one trick pony that it has to be just his personality.

Guys like him are the reason you can't trust any media these days. Too many agenda driven reporters who offer opinions as if they are fact. Places want eyes and clicks, editing doesn't really matter much either

Was Jones the one who was all dramatic because his nephew played for Maryland and they were hammered by Penn State??

Yes. Josh Jackson is his nephew. And he wrote an emotional sob story about it after we whooped that ass.

I won't link it here, because I don't want to give the guy any more clicks. But it was quite a read. He even got in a nice shot at PSU players being "smug" before the game.

:rolleyes:

Was Jones the one who was all dramatic because his nephew played for Maryland and they were hammered by Penn State??

Yes. He recused himself from writing a game story because he claimed he couldn't be objective. I wonder if he would have recused himself had his nephew thrown for 400 yards and 5 TDs instead of leading his team to 59-0 defeat?

Won't give him a click or read a word he writes. Over the years, he has tried his best to hurt the Penn State brand. I put Rudel and Flounders in the same catagory, especially when Coach Paterno was at the helm. I can't imagine so called beat writers being such hacks. If they were covering Alabama they'd be run out on a rail.

To each his own. I read everything that Dave writes and I rarely get bent out of shape by any of it.

Honestly I don’t really see that as much of an accomplishment. His industry is dying in large part due to the attitude he holds about his readership. Without huge national conglomerates propping them up the Patriot would have gone under years ago. People in the mid state can go to any large coastal publication to get the identical take as John Micek on progressive politics or read snark from any number of Philly or New York sportswriters. Jones’ whole existence seems to center on being an asshole. I would say it is schtick but he is such a one trick pony that it has to be just his personality.
You’re right. Entirely.

We want to stop reading him but we can’t stop reading him or focusing on him. He gets more attention than any other “journalist” covering PSU. Until that changes, he’ll continue to dog the program, the university and it’s people (including us) and laugh his way to the bank. Put differently, we’re smart enough to understand and describe EXACTLY why he’s winning and why his paper is winning by supporting his continued journalism. Wearing that shirt was a smart play. It worked. What else can he do to draw that much relevance given EXACTLY what you just wrote.

I don't like Jones because he has a titanic ego and likes to draw attention to himself -- and this is an example of that.

However, over the years I think Jones has added a lot to the discussions about Penn State football. When Jones started, the press corps covering PSU treated Paterno like he was the Dalai Lama of sports. When PSU's performance declined on the field and off the field, most of the reporters ignored it.

And Penn State aggressively encouraged this homerism -- they rewarded the lapdog reporters with access to coaches and players.

Anyway over the years Jones has broken a few stories, and his commentary has been right sometimes and wrong sometimes. He's really not a great football analyst -- he understands basketball a lot better.

But I appreciate that Jones was willing to point out, before almost anybody else, that PSU was in decline and its coaching, conditioning and player development was no longer state of the art.

Meanwhile PSU was putting up up a bronze statue of Paterno while he was still alive? And Paterno went along with it? I loved (and still love) Paterno but that was tacky, and maybe tempting fate....

Reactions: BVSt.Paul
You’re right. Entirely.

We want to stop reading him but we can’t stop reading him or focusing on him. He gets more attention than any other “journalist” covering PSU. Until that changes, he’ll continue to dog the program, the university and it’s people (including us) and laugh his way to the bank. Put differently, we’re smart enough to understand and describe EXACTLY why he’s winning and why his paper is winning by supporting his continued journalism. Wearing that shirt was a smart play. It worked. What else can he do to draw that much relevance given EXACTLY what you just wrote.
The only reason he’s going to the bank is to deal with his overdrawn account. I would guess the dude makes shit for money.

I don't like Jones because he has a titanic ego and likes to draw attention to himself -- and this is an example of that.

However, over the years I think Jones has added a lot to the discussions about Penn State football. When Jones started, the press corps covering PSU treated Paterno like he was the Dalai Lama of sports. When PSU's performance declined on the field and off the field, most of the reporters ignored it.

And Penn State aggressively encouraged this homerism -- they rewarded the lapdog reporters with access to coaches and players.

Anyway over the years Jones has broken a few stories, and his commentary has been right sometimes and wrong sometimes. He's really not a great football analyst -- he understands basketball a lot better.

But I appreciate that Jones was willing to point out, before almost anybody else, that PSU was in decline and its coaching, conditioning and player development was no longer state of the art.

Meanwhile PSU was putting up up a bronze statue of Paterno while he was still alive? And Paterno went along with it? I loved (and still love) Paterno but that was tacky, and maybe tempting fate....

To the crap heap for you SMH

I'm guessing you'll be on the next flight to Tuscaloosa to lecture Alabama about their Saban statue.

The only reason he’s going to the bank is to deal with his overdrawn account. I would guess the dude makes shit for money.
I realize he’s been critical. And I wish he channeled his efforts and energy into doing something else. I also realize I likely opened the door by saying he’s laughing his way to the bank, intending to point out that he makes his money working us into a tizz. But to knock what the guy makes isn’t great form and seems out of bounds. Or should be. Just like some of his remarks.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I realize he’s been critical. And I wish he channeled his efforts and energy into doing something else. I also realize I likely opened the door by saying he’s laughing his way to the bank, intending to point out that he makes his money working us into a tizz. But to knock what the guy makes isn’t great form and seems out of bounds. Or should be. Just like some of his remarks.
Nope...he put himself in the public eye with his career choice and he acts like he knows all. He deserves everything he gets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT