ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 7/12/19

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
A question about PSU, in which Foley shows how uninformed he is with his answer

For those keeping track, this is week 145, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Mike C was on his game once again, as this week he got 4 of the 8 questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

Maybe it's just me, but the following doesn't seem all that controversial.

"So does this mean there is a Penn State lightweight problem overall? No. But there is little denying that they aren't seeing the success from 125-141 that they are 149-285."

"So does this mean there is a Penn State lightweight problem overall? No. But there is little denying that they aren't seeing the success from 125-141 that they are 149-285."
It’s BS.... no problem but who does coach the lightweights as we know what Cody, Casey, and Jake work with?

Foley is basically correct. There hasn't been as much comparative (relative) success from 125-141 over an extended recent period of time (say, a decade). It's incontestable. Nico was a four year exception. There have been sporadic outcroppings for a year or two (Conaway, Guilibon, Nick Lee), but the middle weights and upper weights and heavy weights (or however you want to demarcate the divisions) have performed much better. There is too much organized touchiness in response to Foley's views. He seems to speak honestly about how he sees things. Folks can and arguably should learn from thoughtful positions of observation and criticism.

Foley is basically correct. There hasn't been as much comparative (relative) success from 125-141 over an extended recent period of time (say, a decade). It's incontestable. Nico was a four year exception. There have been sporadic outcroppings for a year or two (Conaway, Guilibon, Nick Lee), but the middle weights and upper weights and heavy weights (or however you want to demarcate the divisions) have performed much better. There is too much organized touchiness in response to Foley's views. He seems to speak honestly about how he sees things. Folks can and arguably should learn from thoughtful positions of observation and criticism.
Yeah, well he's a communist, so there's that.

Top Guns, lol. He is basically right, but you can always count on some glaring factual errors to stay warm with.

Of course we haven't done as well at 125-141 as we have at 149-197 (285 it was only the past year that should be included), but then NO other team has done as well as we have at 149-197 in the Cael years, and only a handful of teams have done better at 125-141 so what point exactly was Foley trying to make? Oh right, it was just to get people riled up. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The problem with this is: that isn't the question that was asked.

The question was if PSU has a problem retaining top lightweights. Through his response, we learned that Suriano and Teasdale left because it is so difficult to prove yourself in a room full of national champs as a lightweight. Because that's so much harder than upper weights having to do it? Suriano and Teasdale are more emotionally fragile than Zain, Jason, and Bo -- AND it's because of their measurements on the scale?

(PS, Suriano couldn't prove himself in the room? Interesting theory.)

Is that what passes for "speaking honestly" and "thoughtful positions" that people should learn from?

Regarding Nico: with top lightweight retention being the actual question, Nico was not a 4-year exception. Teasdale is the exception -- nobody knows yet if he is a top lightweight, since he has yet to step on a college mat and by his own admission has behavior and attitude issues.

Last edited:
Top Guns, lol. He is basically right, but you can always count on some glaring factual errors to stay warm with.

1470319450-gallery-1469722136-top-gun.jpg

Yeah, well he's a communist, so there's that.
"I couldn't begin to tell you why they [Dagestan, Chechnya, Ossetia] weren't being targeted for growth sooner, but my guess is that once Communism took hold in the Caucuses and coaching support meant more opportunity the lifestyle of the people in the area was helpful. The Caucuses are filled with very faithful people, whether Muslim or Christian. That has long been a binding attribute of many successful wrestling cultures."

They always had the right attributes -- they just needed communism to get them over the hump.

Of course we haven't done as well at 125-141 as we have at 149-197 (285 it was only the past year that should be included), but then NO other team has done as well as we have at 149-197 in the Cael years, and only a handful of teams have done better at 125-141 so what point exactly was Foley trying to make? Oh right, it was just to get people riled up. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't care which weights are most impactful in bringing the team titles, whether they change from year to year or are generally the same. As long as the majority of weights are strong, the team and program are healthy.

It's like claiming to be a perennial power at a couple of weight classes has somehow become an award of its own . . . I guess I might understand how that came about, but it really has little significance and actually does more to signal flaws in a program than it does strengths.

I don't care which weights are most impactful in bringing the team titles, whether they change from year to year or are generally the same. As long as the majority of weights are strong, the team and program are healthy.

It's like claiming to be a perennial power at a couple of weight classes has somehow become an award of its own . . . I guess I might understand how that came about, but it really has little significance and actually does more to signal flaws in a program than it does strengths.
What if you only lay claim to one weight, and your consensus best ever at that weight loses twice to a guy who was barely recruited?

Not controversial at all. You may recall: https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/its-not-all-recruiting.170252/page-2#post-2717682
125:
Cael: 1,2,2,3,6,8 Thank you #3 Mega (1,2,2,3), unheralded Conaway was 6,8
MN:...2,2,3,5,5,6,7 are #15 D Ness, #15 Sanders, #60 Lizak, #30 D Thorn

Cael: 2,3,5,7 from #3 Gulibon, Long, Slayton, & Fanthorpe
MN....1,2,3,4,4,5,5,6 #15 D Ness, #81 C Dardanes, Reiter, and #30 D Thorn

Cael 1,3,5,8 from #3 Zain, #13 Gallick, #68 Molinaro
MN...3,5,7,7,8 from #51 Mike Thorn, #20 N Dardanes, Manny Rivera

Not controversial at all. You may recall: https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/its-not-all-recruiting.170252/page-2#post-2717682
125:
Cael: 1,2,2,3,6,8 Thank you #3 Mega (1,2,2,3), unheralded Conaway was 6,8
MN:...2,2,3,5,5,6,7 are #15 D Ness, #15 Sanders, #60 Lizak, #30 D Thorn

Cael: 2,3,5,7 from #3 Gulibon, Long, Slayton, & Fanthorpe
MN....1,2,3,4,4,5,5,6 #15 D Ness, #81 C Dardanes, Reiter, and #30 D Thorn

Cael 1,3,5,8 from #3 Zain, #13 Gallick, #68 Molinaro
MN...3,5,7,7,8 from #51 Mike Thorn, #20 N Dardanes, Manny Rivera
I think you could help me. I'm trying to convince some Steeler fans that my favorite team, the Houston Oilers, were better than the Steelers. Should I go with the punter argument? Luv Ya Blue.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Have used statistics my entire career. "Stats", done right, are powerful!! In the wrong hands, it looks more like this...

"Lies, da__ed lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

Have used statistics my entire career. "Stats", done right, are powerful!! In the wrong hands, it looks more like this...

"Lies, da__ed lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.
9 out of 10 people will believe whatever numbers you make up on the spot! :)

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT