ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 6/1/18

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
one question that includes DT, one question that includes PSU, one question & answer that includes CS in the question and Zain, Nolf, DT, and CS in the answer

For those keeping track, this is week 87, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Mike C. continues to be the Mailbag's main questioner, as he had 4 of the 8 questions, including the last question that may be one of the dumber questions ever included in the Mailbag (IMHO).

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

Would Cael really be able to win a US Open folkstyle tournament if it were to be held today. At his peak, sure, but now? Does he wrestle guys like Bo Nickal and Shakur Rasheed in practice and regularly beat them, or even dominate them? Just curious as a Mizzou and J'Den Cox fan.

Does he wrestle guys like Bo Nickal and Shakur Rasheed in practice and regularly beat them, or even dominate them? Just curious as a Mizzou and J'Den Cox fan.

Neither the coaches nor the wrestlers discuss this type of stuff, and those that have access to the program are smart enough to know that their access would no longer exist if they publicly disclosed such information. In short, very few of us know the answer to your specific question, and those that do know the answer won't post about it.

On a broader scale, we do know that CS wrestles guys in the program.

I don't have the time to find it now, but in one of the rare comments CS made about his wrestling with guys on the team, a few years ago he basically said that he doesn't get taken down by college wrestlers. Was that bravado, humor, or fact? Again, very few know the answer, and those that do won't post about it.

Would Cael really be able to win a US Open folkstyle tournament if it were to be held today. At his peak, sure, but now? Does he wrestle guys like Bo Nickal and Shakur Rasheed in practice and regularly beat them, or even dominate them? Just curious as a Mizzou and J'Den Cox fan.
If it were a one- or two-match event, absolutely. The questions would be at what weight, conditioning, time to prepare, etc. He doesn't have any significant injuries and has old man savvy. I'd say definitely able at either 197 or 285.

Likelihood of either weight depends on the draw ... Snyder, Gwiz, or Coon might get him, and of course he stands no chance against Downey.

In any case, great question, and also good prompt for one of our favorite board jokes:

I don't think anyone has ever said definitively that Cael "regularly" beats anyone, but I've heard guys on the team suggest even Casey could. I imagine Cael and Casey have both lost a step of quickness, and I also imagine their conditioning isn't peak simply because it hasn't had to be for years, but that they'd be a threat to beat anyone in their class in one short match. But I suspect conditioning would catch up to them over a tournament run. Would be interested to hear the wrestlers respond to that question.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. That's interesting stuff and a testament to the level of wrestler Cael is. In the end, an interesting hypothetical that we'll never see played out.

Another question. If you put Mike C. In the room with Jammenz, could Mike ask questions faster than Jammenz can concoct wacked-out, irrelevant, side-skew non answers?

When Quentin Wright won his first national championship, post match interview he made a comment along the lines of "it is easy to stay humble when coach can pin you in 30 seconds".

I think Cael still dominates the room.

I don't think anyone has ever said definitively that Cael "regularly" beats anyone, but I've heard guys on the team suggest even Casey could. I imagine Cael and Casey have both lost a step of quickness, and I also imagine their conditioning isn't peak simply because it hasn't had to be for years, but that they'd be a threat to beat anyone in their class in one short match. But I suspect conditioning would catch up to them over a tournament run. Would be interested to hear the wrestlers respond to that question.
World class competition conditioning equal to what they had at 25 no. 40 year-olds in better shape, probably something like 1 in 100 million.

Another question. If you put Mike C. In the room with Jammenz, could Mike ask questions faster than Jammenz can concoct wacked-out, irrelevant, side-skew non answers?
not sure about Jammenz, but I would put a hundred on SPYKER!

of course, spyker would answer in own questions with wacked-out, irrelevant, side-skew non answers.

Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT