ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 4/13/18

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
no questions of answers involving PSU wrestlers or coaches. There is a question about PSU alum Tim Flynn

For those keeping track, this is week 80, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Mike C. is in his glory, as he got one third of the questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

you guys have any 3" binder worthy gold intel about the "big plans" at cornell?

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to take notice of T.R.'s comments:

"I had a quick conversation with Coach Koll at the World Cup and though he'd have preferred to keep Hahn on staff (who wouldn't?) he outlined a future for the program that is nothing short of remarkable. I'll let Cornell release all the plans in due time, but I think Koll and his supporters are going to once again change the landscape of the sport. Big moves."

once again?

How bout the tidbit that Drexel asked Desantis to leave, not his idea?
I have also heard this from inside the program and from a source that is certainly not hating on the kid. It ended up being a mutual parting of the ways, but they had a mini-revolt on their hands to squelch if he was staying. And not all of this is on the kid, although he certainly rubbed a lot of veterans on their squad the wrong way.

I feel bad for the Drexel staff. Program probably not at the point where they have the resources in the room to deal with the situation which is probably caused by multiple factors. Other programs may have, but it remains to be seen how that is handled by Austin.

Last edited:
I have also heard this from inside the program and from a source that is certainly not hating on the kid. It ended up being a mutual parting of the ways, but they had a mini-revolt on their hands to squelch if he was staying. And not all of this is on the kid, although he certainly rubbed a lot of veterans on their squad the wrong way.

I feel bad for the Drexel staff. Program probably not at the point where they have the resources in the room to deal with the situation which is probably caused by multiple factors. Other programs may have, but it remains to be seen how that is handled by Austin.

I played on a really competitive over-40 men's soccer team (in the league there were men that played with the old New York Cosmos - Berkenmeier, Escardian, Bogicevic) in the early 2000s. We had a guy on the team that was so toxic that I and a couple other guys said we're not playing if he's on the squad next year. The manager kept him - we left. A year later, they got rid of the poison because the entire team took the position we did. One guy can do a lot of damage in a team sport.

"Toxic" individuals don't affect just sports. They can affect work, social organizations, church, community service groups, you name it, even this board at times. And for perspective, it's the borderline or truly sociopathic, as a variety of views and candid discussion is great learning. It's unfortunate that the bad apples, so to speak, normally don't understand the impact of their behavior.

It was clear while watching Desanto and his coaches interact at NCAA's that that relationship was over. Desanto showed absolutely no respect for them and as a coaching staff I don't blame them for moving on.

I don’t get the women wrestling pieces every week. Am I the only one who isn’t excited for this?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT