ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 11/8/19

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
PSU is part of an answer (concern RTCs), and there is a Q & A about Berge (more focused on the ref)

For those keeping track, this is week 162, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Mike C got off to a slow start, but ended up with 4 of the 7 questions in this week's Mailbag.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

@Tom McAndrew Looks like Intermatwrestle.com moved Foley's Friday Mailbag behind the pay wall. Or am I late to the party realizing this?

Not behind a paywall for me (and I'm notoriously stingy w/ my subsciption dollars).

If you can't access, try registering with the site (no fee required). Maybe that's what is at play?

EDIT: I'm now finding it is labeled as behind the paywall on the website, and I cannot access it from there. But @Tom McAndrew 's link above worked just fine for me.

EDIT2: Nevermind -- that link took me to the 11/8 Mailbag, not today's.

Last edited:
Not behind a paywall for me (and I'm notoriously stingy w/ my subsciption dollars).

If you can't access, try registering with the site (no fee required). Maybe that's what is at play?

EDIT: I'm now finding it is labeled as behind the paywall on the website, and I cannot access it from there. But @Tom McAndrew 's link above worked just fine for me.
Perhaps you can apply your satire skills to what this week's Foley Friday Failbag might have looked like.

We know the topics -- they're on the Intermat home page

Foley themes:
freestyle good, folkstyle bad
singlets bad
pushout rule good
<3 Mike C
make up own facts that =/= Google
(plus many more)

Perhaps you can apply your satire skills to what this week's Foley Friday Failbag might have looked like.

Foley themes:
singlets bad
pushout rule good
<3 Mike C
(plus many more)

Thanks for the prompt . . . I'm afraid the creative juices just haven't been flowing for a while now. :(

Reactions: Dogwelder
I don't like Foley's political commentary when it is free. I am sure as hell not paying for it. Maybe now he will tone it down and not alienate half of his base.
Double the pain! Now it’ll hurt so good when you read the article and also when you pay for it!

Reactions: danoftw
hard to believe they'd put the Mailbag behind a paywall.

I shudder to think how Mike C will respond to this.
As the students scream at Ice Hockey games after a PSU goal, at the opposing goalie...

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!

He can't take your forum calling out any longer!!:):);):confused::p:rolleyes::oops:o_O

Foley themes:
singlets bad
pushout rule good
<3 Mike C
(plus many more)
The 1st bit has to be that Foley has gone full capitalist on us. Oh, sweet irony.

Hate like heck to point out the obvious, but putting Foley behind the paywall means his schick is popular enough to provide evidence it will produce more revenue as part of the paid for features versus as click bait.

Hate like heck to point out the obvious, but putting Foley behind the paywall means his schick is popular enough to provide evidence it will produce more revenue as part of the paid for features versus as click bait.
I think you're making an assumption that isn't necessarily true. Lots of times people start charging for things that used to be free, or at least cheaper, and a significant portion of the population goes elsewhere.

Let's be honest: a large percentage of the folks who dislike (name call, pick on, troll, etc.) T.R. Foley are animated or triggered by differences with his political views.

He writes an opinion column that mostly offers non-political views on wrestling, but occasionally he feels free to speak about figures like Hastert or Jordan or particular issues that do in fact affect the sport like race or Title IX. That's his prerogative.

If you don't appreciate his views, why not either ignore him or offer substantive responses instead of calling him a Communist (which he is not), or whatever?

Most of the wrestling community is right-wing and often very, very conservative. It's also tends to be very religious and rural on the whole. That generates its own biases and blindness as well.

I don't see any (or at least many) calling out Askren or Saylor or Schultz or so many, many others for interjecting their very right-wing or authoritarian views on Twitter or podcasts or interviews. Pyles too gets very nationalist and even jingoistic in his political views on international wrestling. It would be easy to provide additional examples.

Why not also be aware that most of the top wrestling countries are currently ruled by authoritarians, even tyrants, and often have very regressive theocratic tendencies? Maybe there is actually a connection with wrestling here, one that few arguably like to think about.

Some folks are going to miss Foley as their punching bag. A few of us might actually miss his more informed, cosmopolitan and educated experiences and positions that add something to the discussions and debates.

... A few of us might actually miss his more informed, cosmopolitan and educated experiences and positions that add something to the discussions and debates.
Good point. Foley does make good thought-provoking points sometimes. (When he’s not getting in his own way by being outlandish.)

Let's be honest: a large percentage of the folks who dislike (name call, pick on, troll, etc.) T.R. Foley are animated or triggered by differences with his political views.

He writes an opinion column that mostly offers non-political views on wrestling, but occasionally he feels free to speak about figures like Hastert or Jordan or particular issues that do in fact affect the sport like race or Title IX. That's his prerogative.

If you don't appreciate his views, why not either ignore him or offer substantive responses instead of calling him a Communist (which he is not), or whatever?

Most of the wrestling community is right-wing and often very, very conservative. It's also tends to be very religious and rural on the whole. That generates its own biases and blindness as well.

I don't see any (or at least many) calling out Askren or Saylor or Schultz or so many, many others for interjecting their very right-wing or authoritarian views on Twitter or podcasts or interviews. Pyles too gets very nationalist and even jingoistic in his political views on international wrestling. It would be easy to provide additional examples.

Why not also be aware that most of the top wrestling countries are currently ruled by authoritarians, even tyrants, and often have very regressive theocratic tendencies? Maybe there is actually a connection with wrestling here, one that few arguably like to think about.

Some folks are going to miss Foley as their punching bag. A few of us might actually miss his more informed, cosmopolitan and educated experiences and positions that add something to the discussions and debates.
If we are truly honest, people dislike Foley because he is a hack.

Far too often (which is virtually every column), his opinions are based on faulty premises -- his underlying facts are easily refuted by Google. That's when he's not regurgitating stock answers such as pushouts and singlets.

Frankly, his articles read like transcripts of media executive cocktail parties. It's far more important to sound like you know what you're talking about, than to actually know what you're talking about.

It's a shame, because his earlier work on various regional styles across the world was really good. The sport needs and deserves more of that, and less of what he has become.

PS, what kind of wrestling journalist lived in Chicago for years and did not once go to Iowa City?

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I’ll miss the comedy. My beef with him has mostly been over how lazy he seems to be in writing the column. As Jefe said, he is factually wrong pretty often. I definitely don’t mind someone who stretches my thinking, introduces me to new perspectives. He may occasionally actually do that, but usually his own incompetence gets in the way, and does more damage than good. He seems smarter than that, so I have to chalk it up to a lack of trying at best, or worse his own dogmatic blindness.

That, and #singlets4eva

@dmm53 your theory about a correlation between autocracy and wrestling popularity is interesting to me. Curious to know more of your thoughts. I always saw it as a class division—Ol Mrs DuPont would surely have preferred her boy to obsess over polo, I’m sure. It’s a pretty primal sport, but that’s not to say it isn’t cerebral. I can see Autocrats liking a sport that exhibits domination, but you’d think a free republic with a relatively large middle class would also.

Last edited:

Interesting takes.

Oops, sorry wrong forum. Wait, this is the Penn State wrestling forum. Now I’m confused. Such a plethora of esoteric rhetoric I thought I had stumbled into a philosophy forum. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT