ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 11/16/18

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
RBY, Brady Berge, and Jarod Verkleeren in a Q&A, Teasdale and Teske in the same Q, and DT is mentioned in one answer

For those keeping track, this is week 111, and despite promises he tweeted, no response to Flo's article about Olympic reffing corruption from Foley.

Once again it's the Mike C Mailbag, as he got 4 of the 7 questions.

You can access this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK

Just curious. Has anyone from this board sent a question to Foley and not had it posted? Or even better, has anyone sent multiple questions and never had any of them posted?

My reason for posting this question is that the predominance of questions by Mike C is definitely odd. It tells me one of two things is true. Either Foley doesn't get many questions so Mike C is just filler material to have a full column. The other possibility is that Foley has already decided what he wants to discuss, and the Mike C "questions" are just a pretense for creating a forum for his own ideas. Either way, it doesn't appear that Foley is really creating an environment for some really open discourse with his viewers.

Reactions: Ski and diggerpup
Just curious. Has anyone from this board sent a question to Foley and not had it posted? Or even better, has anyone sent multiple questions and never had any of them posted?

My reason for posting this question is that the predominance of questions by Mike C is definitely odd. It tells me one of two things is true. Either Foley doesn't get many questions so Mike C is just filler material to have a full column. The other possibility is that Foley has already decided what he wants to discuss, and the Mike C "questions" are just a pretense for creating a forum for his own ideas. Either way, it doesn't appear that Foley is really creating an environment for some really open discourse with his viewers.

Odd as it may sound, not many folks send questions ...

I've done it a few times over the years, he answered --- one was about moving NCAA wrestling to spring only ...

Ive sent questions and tweeted questions/comments.....many are not answered. Although, if you hit a sweet spot with him, he will stay engaged past the boil point.

Mike C is a guy from intermat accounting (jk)....since they dont seem to be doing much lately, accounting has the time to put the balls on the T for the world traveler.

Ask Foley if Tehran is safer than Iowa.

Reactions: diggerpup
I'm Mike C and you're not!! (just had to quote that from the old SNL days)

How about the comment about the trolls being gone. Did thye do something to eliminate comments from some people?

All the trolls are gone -- until the 4th commenter, who went on an unprovoked political bender that was wholly unrelated to the content of Foley's column.

I emailed him directly about an obvious error he made. Don't remember what it was, but he replied with a cordial email acknowledging the mistake.

I emailed him directly about an obvious error he made. Don't remember what it was, but he replied with a cordial email acknowledging the mistake.

Good for him. Could you please ask him about Olympic officiating corruption too? Maybe you have a rapport. Tell him that you love freestyle and compression shorts.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Good for him. Could you please ask him about Olympic officiating corruption too? Maybe you have a rapport. Tell him that you love freestyle and compression shorts.

Say what you will about foley but he is right about the shorts instead of singlets. I volunteer coached and Lots of kids said “i ain’t wearing spandex coach”

Reactions: Dogwelder
Say what you will about foley but he is right about the shorts instead of singlets. I volunteer coached and Lots of kids said “i ain’t wearing spandex coach”
He's right -- up to his solution. But like all good, right-thinking totalitarians, he can't help himself. Must ban the singlet altogether, cannot allow each team to choose for itself and let the singlet phase out over time.

except he acts like it's an all or nothing. The NFHS changed the rules that govern folk wrestling in the US in 2017, to permit shorts. Some youth teams switched to shirts and shorts for the 2017-18 season, others offered the new styles as an option, and thus there were two style of unis that their wrestlers wore, and some teams stayed with singlets.

He's right -- up to his solution. But like all good, right-thinking totalitarians, he can't help himself. Must ban the singlet altogether, cannot allow each team to choose for itself and let the singlet phase out over time.

it is an impediment to some kids to enter the sport. however, as I noted above, singlets are no longer a requirement, and youth teams are modifying their unis at different speeds. the kids that like wrestling don't seem to care about the singlet/shorts issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT