ADVERTISEMENT

Foley's Friday Mailbag for 10/21/16

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
No mention of PSUers in the Mailbag

For the third week, nothing from Foley on Vais/CP's Flo article about the ref assignment corruption at the Olympics, despite Foley's tweet promises after the Flo article appeared. Foley does give a long lecture about how Americans have not embraced and supported women in wrestling. And then there's a "parting words" post (not from Foley) that takes a shot at Flo.

You can read this week's Mailbag at THIS LINK.

For the third week, nothing from Foley on Vais/CP's Flo article about the ref assignment corruption at the Olympics, despite Foley's tweet promises after the Flo article appeared. Foley does give a long lecture about how Americans have not embraced and supported women in wrestling. And then there's a "parting words" post (not from Foley) that takes a shot at Flo.

Spoiler alert: Foley set himself up for someone to point out his intellectual inconsistency. Again. (Which I cough cough might do after work.)

I have to ask a question. Is Foley on the side of Truth, Justice, and the American Way? Or is he a lobbyist for the other team?

I don't have a problem with Mr. Foley. He writes it, I read it, thoughtfully but quietly agree or disagree with what he writes, then move on. Even the Zain stuff years ago was like water off a duck's back. In a way, I admire him...anyone that puts himself or herself "out there" is going to get criticized by many and crucified by some. Doubt many people that do that would be willing to do what he does.

I'm confused> At the Iowa dual do we have to bring the lion mascot to wrestle herky and they both get participant awards?

I have to ask a question. Is Foley on the side of Truth, Justice, and the American Way? Or is he a lobbyist for the other team?

take a look at foley on twitter this afternoon trying to trigger pat toci. I dont agree with some of pats employers positions/practices/proposals, but he/they are great for the sport overall. Certainly didnt deserve the foley/SJW treatment out of nowhere

Reactions: Dogwelder

Tom, Wyoming Seminary is looking to add women's wrestling. So Foley is wrong.

Spoiler alert: Foley set himself up for someone to point out his intellectual inconsistency. Again. (Which I cough cough might do after work.)

El-Jefe with a brilliant comment on Intermat that really takes Foley to task. Really well crafted, El-Jefe. Top notch.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
El-Jefe with a brilliant comment on Intermat that really takes Foley to task. Really well crafted, El-Jefe. Top notch.
Tom, flattery will get you everywhere!

Foley needs to be held accountable by someone more influential than nobody me. I both share his desire to include more women and minorities, and loathe his approach of othering people. It's not persuasion, it's bullying, and more often than not it's not true -- it's a projection -- their real sin is offending him in some unrelated way. It doesn't take a big bad wolf to blow down his house of straw.

Plus, his approach to discussing the corruption issue is

cool-Dug-Up-dog-squirrel.jpg

Reactions: jtothemfp
Why give Foley his own thread each week just to bash him? I personally like his column and agree with most of his views, but you guys know they just count clicks, right? They don't care if you love him or hate him, they want the traffic. That's why those living caricatures Bayless and Smith got so much love from The Mothership.

Why give Foley his own thread each week just to bash him? I personally like his column and agree with most of his views, but you guys know they just count clicks, right? They don't care if you love him or hate him, they want the traffic. That's why those living caricatures Bayless and Smith got so much love from The Mothership.

Because he has a pretty good soap box to stand on so it would be nice for him to put it to better use.

Why? Simple and not intended to be argumentative answer....because we can.

Foley can make all the points he wants, but until he answers for his employers dereliction of responsibilities as a "journalist" he by association is culpable and needs called on it.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Why? Simple and not intended to be argumentative answer....because we can.

Foley can make all the points he wants, but until he answers for his employers dereliction of responsibilities as a "journalist" he by association is culpable and needs called on it.

I get where you're coming from, but instead of being a thorn in his side you guys are giving him more bargaining chips with his current and future employers. As in "look how much traffic I generate," you know?

Reactions: jtothemfp
Foley has a very interesting background and has put in the work. And he has the platform.

He just needs to understand that being an expert isn't enough. You still have to persuade, and it isn't always easy. People don't automatically genuflect at credentials. And disagreement doesn't inherently make one stupid or evil.

I don't have a problem with Mr. Foley. He writes it, I read it, thoughtfully but quietly agree or disagree with what he writes, then move on. Even the Zain stuff years ago was like water off a duck's back. In a way, I admire him...anyone that puts himself or herself "out there" is going to get criticized by many and crucified by some. Doubt many people that do that would be willing to do what he does.
That why I is a SPYKER fan TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom, Wyoming Seminary is looking to add women's wrestling. So Foley is wrong.

I tried to verify this when you first mentioned it over the summer. A source not associated with Wyoming Sem but plugged into the local wrestling scene said it was more then a rumor however I could't get any confirmation from one of the assistant coaches I know. Suspect it is being considered but no final decision has been made.

I agree 100%.

I'm not sure how I missed this story at the time, but was Sharon Taylor trying to get rid of wrestling, for another woman's sport or what was her rationale for getting rid of wrestling?

I tried to verify this when you first mentioned it over the summer. A source not associated with Wyoming Sem but plugged into the local wrestling scene said it was more then a rumor however I could't get any confirmation from one of the assistant coaches I know. Suspect it is being considered but no final decision has been made.

No timetable yet Tiger, but they want it to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT