ADVERTISEMENT

Flynn named new coach at WVU

Edinboro, as well as all the PSAC schools, are a mess right now. Budget crisis and mismanaged funds - the Boro is on it's 3rd president in 7 years. Cutting academic programs left and right - wouldn't be surprised to see some sports programs go. Baumgartner and athletic department in a nasty (but meritful) lawsuit gender inequality among coach's salaries.

I hate to lose him but think it's a great move for Flynn.

Good hire by WVU. Flynn is a good coach and recruiter. And as noted above PSAC schools are a mess thanks to Gov. Wolfe. Fertile grounds for recruiting in southern District 7.

Sounds like Iowa right now. We're rapidly heading toward Kansas and Louisiana budget territory if we don't figure out a way to bring in revenue for once.

Not a good situation, so I can empathize.
I don't know about the situation in Iowa but Edinboro's is not like what you're describing. And it pre-dates the current PA governor (it's not about his predecessors either). Poor academics meant nobody wanted to go there, caused them to admit everybody just to fill their seats (seriously, 99% acceptance rate earlier this decade). Now they're being undercut by cheaper alternatives (online classes, community college, etc.). Real bad fiscal situation.

I don't blame Flynn one bit for finding a more stable employer. Especially after he interviewed with Pitt last year.

That said, this is a good opportunity for a younger coach. But chances are they'll never have another 20+ year head coach.

Bleak days for all higher education institutions are on the horizon. There are going to be a lot of schools going out of business in the not-so-far-off future.

Reactions: 1AA
Yes, there are too many kids with large student loan debt working at Starbucks or The Gap.
Correct. That is what happens when student loan debt is not dis-chargeable in bankruptcy. If it was, banks and governments would not loan 50 to 100K so kids could study psychology, fashion design or sociology or any such major where it is difficult to find meaning employment at a nice salary. The college does not care, they get their money upfront.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul and Ski
Yes, there are too many kids with large student loan debt working at Starbucks or The Gap.

It's more a matter of shrinking demographics, inadequate endowments and the subsequent relaxing of admissions standards (not to mention poor academic and placement performance) from the schools' end.

Just last week the NYT just had a lengthy writeup on Edinboro's financial woes, and it isn't pretty. If nothing else, WVU offers much better job security.
September 11, 2013: $5.5 million deficit. "Changes are going to be made!". http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/23409189/edinboro-university-facing-drastic-cuts
February 16, 2017: $6.2 million deficit. "Changes are going to be made!". http://www.goerie.com/news/20170216/edinboro-university-assessment-changes-will-be-made.

Reactions: Brian LB-U
Congratulations Tim!!!! Can’t wait to get your mailings and the start of the new “Lionheart” scholarship for the WVU team, funded by all the PSU alumni that support you and the sport of wrestling!!

I like the way this transfer thing is taking hold

I listened to the Matt Talk podcast on my morning run with the NCState interview with new transfer Justin Oliver from CMU. Kind of threw the CMU wrestling program under the bus in the interview. Doesn't sound like a bad kid at all, but pretty much trashed the coaching (not changing techniques year to year to better peak), training partners (never trained with any AAs), and the town (nothing but cornfields in all directions). He needs three on-line classes to finish his degree, so he is not technically a grad transfer until end of summer, but is in Raleigh now. A bit worrisome that all of these transfers (yes, I understand where Keener is from) will make it hard to recruit kids at these institutions and some AD goes Boise or EMU on the program. That would be bad.

First Podcast was with Chuck Yagla, 2 time NCAA champ with Iowa in the 70s. Totally weird that he went to Iowa with NO WRESTLING SCHOLARSHIP, because he knew he wanted to wrestle for Dan Gable (assistant coach there). He got one after he won the starting spot later. Iowa did dig deep into their Slush Fund and got him an Academic Scholarship as an incoming freshman until his Athletic one kicked in. I think this really needs to be investigated deeply, as Academic scholarships are very rare at PSU, and I think only Van Cura (?) received any $s this way. I need Vodka to start looking into this, as this certainly looks like a gray area, to go along with the illegal 7+ scholarships that were used.

Finally, the third podcast started with Kevin Emily interviewed with Jason Bryant. He is a coach in South Carolina High Schools. He is nothing but huge inspiration and joy. Has a two part book out called PATHFINDER that has individual chapters about African-American wrestlers and their history. I'm certainly going to buy and read them. His stories about SC getting high school wrestling, and competing with football/basketball (actually supplementing them), him and his son using wrestling to get a college degree each, to the challenges of his African-American wrestlers and the singlets. Very, very entertaining.

So a great run in beautiful Round Rock Texas and 2.5 wrestling podcasts this morning. Give them a listen!!

I listened to the Matt Talk podcast on my morning run with the NCState interview with new transfer Justin Oliver from CMU. Kind of threw the CMU wrestling program under the bus in the interview. Doesn't sound like a bad kid at all, but pretty much trashed the coaching (not changing techniques year to year to better peak), training partners (never trained with any AAs), and the town (nothing but cornfields in all directions). He needs three on-line classes to finish his degree, so he is not technically a grad transfer until end of summer, but is in Raleigh now. A bit worrisome that all of these transfers (yes, I understand where Keener is from) will make it hard to recruit kids at these institutions and some AD goes Boise or EMU on the program. That would be bad.

First Podcast was with Chuck Yagla, 2 time NCAA champ with Iowa in the 70s. Totally weird that he went to Iowa with NO WRESTLING SCHOLARSHIP, because he knew he wanted to wrestle for Dan Gable (assistant coach there). He got one after he won the starting spot later. Iowa did dig deep into their Slush Fund and got him an Academic Scholarship as an incoming freshman until his Athletic one kicked in. I think this really needs to be investigated deeply, as Academic scholarships are very rare at PSU, and I think only Van Cura (?) received any $s this way. I need Vodka to start looking into this, as this certainly looks like a gray area, to go along with the illegal 7+ scholarships that were used.

Finally, the third podcast started with Kevin Emily interviewed with Jason Bryant. He is a coach in South Carolina High Schools. He is nothing but huge inspiration and joy. Has a two part book out called PATHFINDER that has individual chapters about African-American wrestlers and their history. I'm certainly going to buy and read them. His stories about SC getting high school wrestling, and competing with football/basketball (actually supplementing them), him and his son using wrestling to get a college degree each, to the challenges of his African-American wrestlers and the singlets. Very, very entertaining.

So a great run in beautiful Round Rock Texas and 2.5 wrestling podcasts this morning. Give them a listen!!
My aunt, uncle and cousins moved to Round Rock in 1979. Round Rock used to be about 24 miles outside of Austin. Now adays without any magical movement it is part of Austin. I have visited the area a dozen times, even with all the growth the area is still beautiful.

Reactions: CentexLion
My aunt, uncle and cousins moved to Round Rock in 1979. Round Rock used to be about 24 miles outside of Austin. Now adays without any magical movement it is part of Austin. I have visited the area a dozen times, even with all the growth the area is still beautiful.
Yup. Growth is crazy. I moved to Austin in 84 after graduating, and moved to Round Rock in 1994, when my oldest was starting kindergarten. Was in the middle of nowhere, until Dell built their headquarters 2 miles from us. Now, the 5th high school is running full speed and the 6th is in the plans for this small town. Still a great town to live in.

Next time you are in town, ping me and I'll buy you many beers at the local brewery, Bluebonnet. In a small warehouse behind the post office, but they roll out the picnic tables and a great place to sit down for a few and talk with many people. They always have 6-8 beers on tap and a wide selection range. We can then take an Uber to Flo and crash the CP and Couch show.

Reactions: nitlion6
I saw a rumor about that Dakota Geer is transferring to OSU. Also saw rumor that the new coach at Boro could be named today.

I sensed some sarcasm in there.

Yup. Growth is crazy. I moved to Austin in 84 after graduating, and moved to Round Rock in 1994, when my oldest was starting kindergarten. Was in the middle of nowhere, until Dell built their headquarters 2 miles from us. Now, the 5th high school is running full speed and the 6th is in the plans for this small town. Still a great town to live in.

Next time you are in town, ping me and I'll buy you many beers at the local brewery, Bluebonnet. In a small warehouse behind the post office, but they roll out the picnic tables and a great place to sit down for a few and talk with many people. They always have 6-8 beers on tap and a wide selection range. We can then take an Uber to Flo and crash the CP and Couch show.
That is something I would love to do. I haven't been for a few years. Aunt and Uncle are now retired in Boca and their kids (my cousins) live in Raleigh and Boone NC. The one in Boone is married to an Austin girl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT