ADVERTISEMENT

FLR Short: PSU vs. Iowa Whiteboard War, last 10 years

@WildTurk
Naming a child is one of the most important things a parent does. The name strongly impacts first impressions for the rest of their lives. Choose wisely.

On our first, my wife was sure (no testing involved) she was having a girl so we were unprepared for our son's name. We took two days and tried many names out until one just felt right. We liked this process so we did that on the two that followed.

Reactions: WildTurk
@WildTurk
Naming a child is one of the most important things a parent does. The name strongly impacts first impressions for the rest of their lives. Choose wisely.

On our first, my wife was sure (no testing involved) she was having a girl so we were unprepared for our son's name. We took two days and tried many names out until one just felt right. We liked this process so we did that on the two that followed.
My brother and his wife lived in Saudi Arabia and they were pregnant with their second at the same time we were with our third. We were fully on board with the name Bryce, even having our other two say the name from time to time. Nineteen days before our's was born came word that my new nephew's name was, you guessed it, Bryce. I immediately called my wife to tell her not to go into labor, because we needed a new name.

@WildTurk

Go with Stalin, nobody F's with a kid named Stalin

For our second, we were at the hospital with my wife in labor. She is not good at making decisions, so I told her that she couldn't have the baby until she picked a name. I think she wanted to see what he looked like first in order to decide, sort of like how we decided on the dog.
She did make a last minute decision.
So your son is named Spot?

@WildTurk

So with that in mind, I think the posters of BWI should take it upon ourselves to nominate suitable names and then put it to a vote so as to take all the pressure off the soon to be parents. I nominate "Cael";)

I was a huge Metcalf fan when he was competing, but I'd have a tough time picking him over a junior or senior ZR.

Granted, Metcalf won that insane bracket as a sophomore. I can't imagine anyone will ever have the chance to win a bracket like that again - but, someone had to win it. There's no way that any of ZR's brackets can compare to that one. But, ZR also beat a 4x NCAA champ- as a true freshman, no less. Metcalf doesn't have a win of that quality. ZR didn't lose a single match over his last three years. However, Metcalf lost three. The spladle pin by Caldwell could probably be overlooked given how dominating Metcalf was the rest of that season. However, the domination suffered at the hands of Caldwell in the next season's NCAA finals is difficult to overlook. Zain never had a loss like that. Then, losing as a senior in the B1G finals could be overlooked as a "bad" match if the NCAA final against the same opponent wasn't such a close match. ZR had some close matches, too, over those last three years. But, he never lost. And, ZR was a 2x Hodge winner over the likes of Snyder, Nolf, Nickal, Lee, Zahid - all of whom are really, really good. Metcalf's Hodge was won in a season in which he had one loss and none of the other leading candidates that year were as highly-touted as those ZR beat out.

Metcalf's edge typically came from superior conditioning matched with a tenacity in neutral that broke people. ZR would be able to match BM's conditioning and pace. Even if ZR was scoreless from neutral, ZR had a decided edge on the mat. I don't think BM would be able to neutralize ZR's top game as well as ZR would be able to neutralize BM's takedown game.

It would definitely had been a great battle with the fans being the true winners, but I think there is more evidence that ZR would win this match than there is that BM would emerge victorious. The fact that BM lost to a 1x champ as a junior and a 0x champ in the B1G finals as a senior lends support that a 3x champ, 2x Hodge trophy winner would have beaten him head-to-head.

would it be too much of a flame to suggest that the only reason DSJ is a NCAA champ is because DT vacated his weight class?

Reactions: diggerpup
I was a huge Metcalf fan when he was competing, but I'd have a tough time picking him over a junior or senior ZR.

Granted, Metcalf won that insane bracket as a sophomore. I can't imagine anyone will ever have the chance to win a bracket like that again - but, someone had to win it. There's no way that any of ZR's brackets can compare to that one. But, ZR also beat a 4x NCAA champ- as a true freshman, no less. Metcalf doesn't have a win of that quality. ZR didn't lose a single match over his last three years. However, Metcalf lost three. The spladle pin by Caldwell could probably be overlooked given how dominating Metcalf was the rest of that season. However, the domination suffered at the hands of Caldwell in the next season's NCAA finals is difficult to overlook. Zain never had a loss like that. Then, losing as a senior in the B1G finals could be overlooked as a "bad" match if the NCAA final against the same opponent wasn't such a close match. ZR had some close matches, too, over those last three years. But, he never lost. And, ZR was a 2x Hodge winner over the likes of Snyder, Nolf, Nickal, Lee, Zahid - all of whom are really, really good. Metcalf's Hodge was won in a season in which he had one loss and none of the other leading candidates that year were as highly-touted as those ZR beat out.

Metcalf's edge typically came from superior conditioning matched with a tenacity in neutral that broke people. ZR would be able to match BM's conditioning and pace. Even if ZR was scoreless from neutral, ZR had a decided edge on the mat. I don't think BM would be able to neutralize ZR's top game as well as ZR would be able to neutralize BM's takedown game.

It would definitely had been a great battle with the fans being the true winners, but I think there is more evidence that ZR would win this match than there is that BM would emerge victorious. The fact that BM lost to a 1x champ as a junior and a 0x champ in the B1G finals as a senior lends support that a 3x champ, 2x Hodge trophy winner would have beaten him head-to-head.

I am not a big PSU fan at all. No hometown bias here.

Zain beats metcalf. Zain’s run of dominance (three years without a loss?? Or did he lose one as a sophomore?) was impressive. A 70% bonus rate his last two years with no real challenges?? Unreal.

As far as his competition goes... I mean the top 1% of HS seniors wrestle D1. Even fewer qualify for nationals. We’ll never know what could have been if Pico wrestled Zain but that can’t be held against Zain. Zain was the most dominant wrestler I have seen, and his propensity to turn guys over and over made his matches exciting (even if predictable).

No disrespect to BM, but I am not sure this one is in doubt. Zain probably wins 5-1 or so.

I am not a big PSU fan at all. No hometown bias here.

Zain beats metcalf. Zain’s run of dominance (three years without a loss?? Or did he lose one as a sophomore?) was impressive. A 70% bonus rate his last two years with no real challenges?? Unreal.

As far as his competition goes... I mean the top 1% of HS seniors wrestle D1. Even fewer qualify for nationals. We’ll never know what could have been if Pico wrestled Zain but that can’t be held against Zain. Zain was the most dominant wrestler I have seen, and his propensity to turn guys over and over made his matches exciting (even if predictable).

No disrespect to BM, but I am not sure this one is in doubt. Zain probably wins 5-1 or so.

Zain's stats:
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/11781/retherford-zain/profile

FLO thought Nolf would defeat St John by decision.

I would say it’s better than 50/50 that Nolf would bonus St John.

1. We haven’t seen the senior version of Nolf yet.
2. DSJ regressed a tad - Realbuto rag dolled DSJ at NCAAs.

I think Nolf could break DSJ in the 3rd and get the major.

they said he was a good scrambler... did he ever scramble for points against DT? I don't recall...

they said he was a good scrambler... did he ever scramble for points against DT? I don't recall...

Yes, once, he got the first takedown in the Big Ten finals against Taylor. Those two had some unreal scrambles in that match and the NCAA quarterfinal match.

Last edited:
Reactions: a_mshaffer
It's just my opinion fellas. You can quote my comment all you want but my mind won't change. Btw the boy is due in 4 days! I feel sorry for momma because she is pretty uncomfortable. Won't be long now!:)

Congratulations! We have a brand new member of the family as well. My wife named her Emmy; she's a goldendoodle.

Reactions: tikk10

Tell Nolf HR insists St John closed the gap and watch the magic as Jason Nolfizes St John into Micah.

Last edited:
Congratulations! We have a brand new member of the family as well. My wife named her Emmy; she's a goldendoodle.

Is that Eastern European? I know a lot of the countries....but not familiar with that ethnicity...…. :)

Zain was a beast but he didn't wrestle half the talent Metcalf did in college.

That could be because Zain was only about 10 at the time Metcalf wrestled them and I would assume most had graduated by the time Zain hit college. Kind of an easy one Turk :)

PS: How close to naming that precious one are you now?

If Jason could tech Jordan with one leg, surely he could major St John with one eye.

Reactions: danoftw
would it be too much of a flame to suggest that the only reason DSJ is a NCAA champ is because DT vacated his weight class?

Didn't DSJ also lose to Dake in the NCAAs?

DSJ was a tough wrestler. Taylor never seemed to be in danger of losing to him but their matches were battles. DSJ was better than most (if I recall correctly) at keeping the loss to DT to a decision.

Didn't DSJ also lose to Dake in the NCAAs?

DSJ was a tough wrestler. Taylor never seemed to be in danger of losing to him but their matches were battles. DSJ was better than most (if I recall correctly) at keeping the loss to DT to a decision.
1 major, 2 decisions, I believe, between DT and DSJ.

As far as the white board, it’s speculation, and is based on the most likely result, given that all results are possible. A decision for Nolf vs DSJ isn’t outrageous as the “most likely” result.

It's just my opinion fellas. You can quote my comment all you want but my mind won't change. Btw the boy is due in 4 days! I feel sorry for momma because she is pretty uncomfortable. Won't be long now!:)
I'm not trying to be a d***, but your best wrestler on your team loses. That's something you wouldn't expect. Zain's credentials in college are better than Metcalf's. I was actually surprised it came out to be 6-4 initially based on PSU's team success, but looking at it on paper I don't see many other issues.

Congrats on baby. My favorite part of life's moments were being part of my children coming into life. I saw the world as a different place walking out of the delivery room. I did not see Brent Metcalf beating Zain, though. That won't change.

“Roar” is a good first name ;).

Seriously, congrats again!!
We have two boys. 4 and 16 months. For the 16 month old, I wanted to name him Cael. My wife, who I met via wrestling, said no. Not because she didn't want to name him after Cael Sanderson, but my buddy had already did it. That's the world we live in.

Reactions: nerfstate
We have two boys. 4 and 16 months. For the 16 month old, I wanted to name him Cael. My wife, who I met via wrestling, said no. Not because she didn't want to name him after Cael Sanderson, but my buddy had already did it. That's the world we live in.
Casey would've been a good choice.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
We live in a loft over looking Old man River. We decided on River William for my son's name. Even if nobody else likes it we love it, and it is quite meaningful for us. He is definitely the most handsome baby boy ever btw! I'm a lucky dad

We live in a loft over looking Old man River. We decided on River William for my son's name. Even if nobody else likes it we love it, and it is quite meaningful for us. He is definitely the most handsome baby boy ever btw! I'm a lucky dad

congrats and best of luck WT!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT