ADVERTISEMENT

FLR Short: PSU vs. Iowa Whiteboard War, last 10 years

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
this was an interesting feature, where they took the top wrestler for each school in the past 10 years, and matched them up against one another. You can access it at THIS LINK.

The FLR Short takes 15 minutes. Here's a quick summary:

125: Lee (IA) over Nico (PSU)
133: Ramos (IA) over A. Long (PSU)
141: Montell Marion (IA) over Nick Lee (PSU)
149: ZPain (PSU) over Brent Metcalf (IA)
157: Nolf (PSU) over Derek St. John (IA)
165: DT (PSU) over Morningstar (IA)
174: Ruth (PSU) over Jay Borschel (IA)
184: Bo Nickal (PSU) over Phil Keddy (IA)
197: Q (PSU) over Nathan Burak (IA)
285: Dane Erekson (IA) over Nick Nevills (PSU)

They had it 6-4, PSU, in matches. The final scored varied, based on bonus, but the average was 20-12, PSU.

It's worth a listen.

Reactions: diggerpup
Well, since we have 7 championships in the last 10 years, and they have 2, those results are certainly not surprising.

285 is stretch in my opinion. Smaller heavyweight who finished as a 2 time AA (4th 7th).

Oh well. Gotta toss the Hawks a bone, otherwise HR melts down over the obvious hatred.

I'm not to quick at saying Spencer beats Nico during his Freshman year and Nico's Sr. Probably change my tune when using Spencer's Soph, Jr, or Sr years....

Reactions: TangSoo
How about Zain at 141 and Tank at 149?
Probably a wash. Zain was great at 141 but not as dominant as he was at 149--does he bonus Marion? Maybe but his bonus rate at 141 was under 50%. Peak Metcalf probably beats Frank, but bonus unlikely at 149 in either match.

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Zain was a beast but he didn't wrestle half the talent Metcalf did in college.

That would be a fun match to watch. I could come up with a good argument for either one but even if Metcalf wins and its 5-5 in matches, PSU still has a bonus advantage.

Zain was a beast but he didn't wrestle half the talent Metcalf did in college.

I dont understand how you can say Zain didnt wrestle half his talent. Sure metcalf beat burroughs but metcalf faced burroughs in his second year in college which is far from the best version of jordan burroughs (which is how Flo rated it, the best version of the person). I know Zains victory over stieber was at 141 but still as a freshman took down one of the more dominant college wrestlers we will ever see. Zain didnt just beat opponents but he took their souls while doing it. Hes beaten how many of Hawkeyes including your new toy at 149 Lugo. Zain has amounted a better bonus rate and more points at NCAAs than Metcalf.

Reactions: diggerpup
It's just my opinion fellas. You can quote my comment all you want but my mind won't change. Btw the boy in due in 4 days! I feel sorry for momma because she is pretty uncomfortable. Won't be long now!:)

Congrats on the pending new arrival, Turk! Hope mom and baby stay safe and healthy through the process!

I'm guessing you won't be naming the boy Zain?

I don’t know if this is worth a new thread or just tag along with this one. FLR did a viewer question about a takedown contest, i think using last years champs. I don’t remember the lighter weights, but they had Nolf losing first TD to Zahid then Zahid winning out. Anyone have a better memory than I do and any thoughts. I am not sure about Zahid getting a td over each of the last three weights, i could see Bo doing it for last three.

Thoughts?

Zain did not make the cut on our list. Neither did Brent however. It's a lot harder to name another human than i thought it would be

Congratulations and good luck. We heard the name for our first when we were at our nephews soccer game. A player on the other team had a mom that yelled his name constantly, and we liked the sound....

Last edited:
Reactions: WildTurk
For our second, we were at the hospital with my wife in labor. She is not good at making decisions, so I told her that she couldn't have the baby until she picked a name. I think she wanted to see what he looked like first in order to decide, sort of like how we decided on the dog.
She did make a last minute decision.

Reactions: Gebmo and WildTurk
Congratulations and good luck. We heard the name for our fist when we were at our nephews soccer game. A player on the other team had a mom that yelled his name constantly, and we liked the sound....

I think Iron Fist has a nice ring to it as well. Not as much so now that it has been cancelled.. :) .........….Kidding

It's just my opinion fellas. You can quote my comment all you want but my mind won't change. Btw the boy in due in 4 days! I feel sorry for momma because she is pretty uncomfortable. Won't be long now!:)

All the best to you and your family Turk!

Reactions: WildTurk
I don’t know if this is worth a new thread or just tag along with this one. FLR did a viewer question about a takedown contest, i think using last years champs. I don’t remember the lighter weights, but they had Nolf losing first TD to Zahid then Zahid winning out. Anyone have a better memory than I do and any thoughts. I am not sure about Zahid getting a td over each of the last three weights, i could see Bo doing it for last three.

Thoughts?
they used Jason's score a lot style vs. what we saw last year at NCAAs.... not sure you're taking him down if he wrestles a conservative style...

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Congratulations and good luck. We heard the name for our first when we were at our nephews soccer game. A player on the other team had a mom that yelled his name constantly, and we liked the sound....

You haven't told us what name you chose.....fess up. I got money riding on this :) PS: If it isn't Englebert…..I won't have heat....and my kids won't eat for a month...….and that includes baby Mestophales :)

You haven't told us what name you chose.....fess up. I got money riding on this :) PS: If it isn't Englebert…..I won't have heat....and my kids won't eat for a month...….and that includes baby Mestophales :)

Lol, it was Jordan, sorry, no heat for you! It also was 27 yeays ago....

Reactions: Sportfan2017
they used Jason's score a lot style vs. what we saw last year at NCAAs.... not sure you're taking him down if he wrestles a conservative style...

I agree, they said Jason will allow people to get a takedown just to come back and try new things, if the goal is first takedownthen I doubt he uses that style. It was half in jest how they answered the question, but it would be interesting to see. There are a few intersting matchups. Does Cenzo give a a td, how about Bo if that is what it is riding on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT