ADVERTISEMENT

FLO and PSU

pish69

Jan 11, 2016
NJ--The Shore
Did anyone catch the FRL on Tuesday? Pyles and Willie made it very clear PSU wasn't very accomodating as far as pictures, access, etc.

I don't get it. I love PSU, Cael and trust 100% in what he's doing, but I just can't wrap my head around why they act like this towards the media?

What is the purpose? You have the best team of last decade, tons of interest from fans and future wrestlers, and they continually close the door to the media.

They had a huge USA event in State College. PSU wanted it there, so why wouldn't you want the media that comes with it?

I never like to question Cael and co, but on this, I have to disagree 100%. Media will only help the program. You continue to snub the media, eventually kids will be turned off by that. These kids now a days live on social media, like the attention, etc. You have an outgoing kid that's looking to brand himself, you think he'll choose PSU? We've been very fortunate that we are SO good that kids are overlooking this piece. But eventually I can see it biting us in the you know where. I hope I'm wrong

Whereas Rutgers is featured on Flo every time you turn around. I love in the Ashnault feature, the interviewer says to Ashnault "you are a top ten team now". Really?

Whereas Rutgers is featured on Flo every time you turn around. I love in the Ashnault feature, the interviewer says to Ashnault "you are a top ten team now". Really?

Man you HATE Rutgers, lol. You bring them up any time you can. I know you're from Jersey, what gives? I'm a jersey guy myself.

Did anyone catch the FRL on Tuesday? Pyles and Willie made it very clear PSU wasn't very accomodating as far as pictures, access, etc.

I don't get it. I love PSU, Cael and trust 100% in what he's doing, but I just can't wrap my head around why they act like this towards the media?

What is the purpose? You have the best team of last decade, tons of interest from fans and future wrestlers, and they continually close the door to the media.

They had a huge USA event in State College. PSU wanted it there, so why wouldn't you want the media that comes with it?

I never like to question Cael and co, but on this, I have to disagree 100%. Media will only help the program. You continue to snub the media, eventually kids will be turned off by that. These kids now a days live on social media, like the attention, etc. You have an outgoing kid that's looking to brand himself, you think he'll choose PSU? We've been very fortunate that we are SO good that kids are overlooking this piece. But eventually I can see it biting us in the you know where. I hope I'm wrong
I can understand it only in the context of: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

If it does get broke, I could see a loosening up similar to Iowa’s slightly altered program culture (I.e. moving away from the dour, serious all the time image).

Reactions: nerfstate
I can understand it only in the context of: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

If it does get broke, I could see a loosening up similar to Iowa’s slightly altered program culture (I.e. moving away from the dour, serious all the time image).

Agree with you. I think that's what Cael and co's thinking is. Another words.."we're silent assassins and we do our talking on the mat." I just think it's gonna catch up with them.

But the thing that really got me here is that it wasn't PSU per say, it was USA wrestling and I would think they'd be more accomadating in that setting

Maybe he wasn't snubbing the media in general, but maybe he snubs Flo and Pyles and Willie specifically? I wouldn't let either of those guys around my program and I'd make sure Flo kept their distance as well.

Agree with you. I think that's what Cael and co's thinking is. Another words.."we're silent assassins and we do our talking on the mat." I just think it's gonna catch up with them.

But the thing that really got me here is that it wasn't PSU per say, it was USA wrestling and I would think they'd be more accomadating in that setting

It will hurt him if they quit churning out team and individual titles. At the end of the day it's all about winning titles. Do you think these kids want to win an NCAA title or be featured on Flo? Cael does this for a reason and I'm sure he has a pretty good reason behind it. It looks like half the team cares more about playing Fortnite than being on Flo. Just win baby.

Reactions: kirbycroft

disagree 100%?? Got to be kidding. The more you open up, the more opinions made, the more speculation, and the more BS that goes around. However it does go against the 'reality series' craze that America is 'into'... Think Cael just wants to ensure control and not create a zoo. There is access, just not on a whim.

to be clear, someone wrote in for FRL questions asking why we didn't do more w/ PSU and that it seems PSU gave us limited access.

of course we wish we could do more with PSU, but Cael/Casey/Cody...they are all very nice to me.

The thing that stuck with me, is you or CP said you wanted to take a picture of RBY and you weren't allowed. That's strange to me.

Listen..I realize I may be taking the unpopluar stance here, but if I feel this way, I'm sure there are others.

Again..Cael is the MAN, he's winning at a rate only Gable had. The short term..everything is great, we're winning, kids are bought in. I got that.

I'm thinking long term (I don't want this streak to ever end).

So let me get this straight:

At midnight on July 1, Cael shows up in Erie with an envelope in his hand. Carter Starocci opens the envelope, reads the offer, and then tells Cael:

Thank you for your generous offer. I love the school and the guys on the team. Rec Hall is awesome. You have the best program and best RTC in the country, and it's close to home. As coach you've won 7 of the last 8 team titles, 20 individual titles, 4 Hodge Trophies, and had several world team members. DT and Zain both have marketing deals.

But I'm going somewhere else because you don't talk with the media enough.

images

I have no problem with Cael limiting access to what essentially are high school kids turning into young men and amateur Athletics. I could just see Flo taking pictures of RBY with an article titled "Penn State's next big thing - the next Zain Retherford". On balance the Press can do more damage than good especially when you're trying to focus your kids on a singular goal. The last thing they need is to think they're bigger than who they are before even stepping on a collegiate matt. Yes you and I both suffer because our curiosity is never satisfied but I'd rather have Cael focus on excellence and continuing to develop championship teams than to be picking up the phone and giving interviews and having pictures taken inside our room

... The more you open up, the more opinions made, the more speculation, and the more BS that goes around. ... 'reality series' craze ...
... On balance the Press can do more damage than good especially when you're trying to focus your kids on a singular goal ...
I agree. I like Jerry Sloan’s quote that went something like: you want attention, go out and get 20 rebounds.

Don’t invite distractions (e.g., opinionators/gossipers) into your own house.

Last edited:
Willie's post above is the closest-to-factual post of the thread, so I'm drawing a blank on what's so distressing.

There have been ruffled feathers in the past, between the coaching staff and Flo, but nothing more than that from my understanding.

And re. picture-taking (since it was mentioned), I know first-hand how serious the University is regarding student-athlete likenesses, and care given to prevent any NCAA impropriety (compliance). It's changed dramatically over the past decade or so. Not saying it's the reason, just that it's possible.

I'm with the chicken man, focus on what you need to change to get better. If something is working, keep doing it. As a fan, I wish I had more "access" but there's a bit of a mystique around the program, and that's not necessarily bad.

Reactions: dbldoofus

I would be exceedingly surprised if Cael was the one restricting access to Flo. The only thing I'll say in going further on the matter is that FLOFieldHockey and FLOFencing would have the same issues FLOWrestling does if they existed (and there's a reason I mention those sports specifically)

Last edited:
It's a valid question to raise. My guess would be it's a question of focus and concentrating on what is important. Very different from the Tom Ryan limelight seeking, self promotional approach, I would imagine that Cael views the Media as more of a distraction to his wrestlers. Don't get caught up in reading headlines, focus on what you need to do to win on the mat. Winning is the best self-promotion for any program.

Reactions: tabenn
Listen..I realize I may be taking the unpopluar stance here, but if I feel this way, I'm sure there are others.

Again..Cael is the MAN, he's winning at a rate only Gable had. The short term..everything is great, we're winning, kids are bought in. I got that.

I'm thinking long term (I don't want this streak to ever end).
Valid point, imo, but I think others are right. Media access is an afterthought with this program other than in-house. And not that I care, nor should you, but I asked for an interview to help promote that FS event and got nothing. I seem to get along with the coaches in person, so not sure if it’s more on the SID end or what, but stuff like that is pretty much the norm anymore. I’ve basically stopped trying

Reactions: pish69
I might be a little more sympathetic if Flo didn't put so much of their stuff behind a pay-wall.

Personally though, I much prefer PSU's 'heads down' countenance over tOSU self promotion ... Nolf: "we worry about what we're doing, not what others are doing".

The ESPN feature with each one of the Buckeyes talking about the 2 team race ... no PSU response ... showed the contrast in styles.

IMO, Ryan's preoccupation with PSU and the team race was a big reason his team wrestled tight Friday night.

I'm a little late to the conversation but are you all talking about the pod cast on FLO on Tuesday that I had to stop listening to because the back ground noise was so bad I could not understand what was being said!
Willie maybe it's just me but it seems the audio part of the pod casts are always a problem with one mic., back ground noise or someone talking to far away from the mic.
As my grand kids say "i'm just sayin"!

Valid point, imo, but I think others are right. Media access is an afterthought with this program other than in-house. And not that I care, nor should you, but I asked for an interview to help promote that FS event and got nothing. I seem to get along with the coaches in person, so not sure if it’s more on the SID end or what, but stuff like that is pretty much the norm anymore. I’ve basically stopped trying

That's unfortunate, Tim. It seems Cael and staff have more of a Paterno-like approach when it comes to the media. I'd prefer more of a Franklin-like approach, but at this point I doubt we'll ever see it.

Reactions: pish69
nitlion6, it's like Beetlejuice, if you say it too many times, he will reappear. I urge caution conjuring his name henceforth.
Goldie
I had to laugh out loud at your post.
As I was typing that post I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes I can"t help myself though and I just have to spit into the wind.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
That's unfortunate, Tim. It seems Cael and staff have more of a Paterno-like approach when it comes to the media. I'd prefer more of a Franklin-like approach, but at this point I doubt we'll ever see it.
I think Franklin had to be more aggressive with the promotion because he was trying to raise a program up out of the aftermath of devastating sanctions. He knew he wasn't going to win right away, so he had to regain interest in the program by being more present in all media realms.
Cael, while certainly a very different personality type then Franklin, has no need for self-promotion because the results speak for themselves. Top wrestlers want to come and wrestle for the top program.

Maybe the athletes don't want it... don't want the distraction... maybe don't want to be singled out compared the their teammates? I don't know.

I do know that the athlete's families chose to watch the finals as a team in their section, and turned down the special seats offered to some of the other wrestler's parents. Apples fall from trees.

Reactions: Dogwelder

Maybe Cael has something to hide.

Maybe the athletes don't want it... don't want the distraction... maybe don't want to be singled out compared the their teammates? I don't know.

I do know that the athlete's families chose to watch the finals as a team in their section, and turned down the special seats offered to some of the other wrestler's parents. Apples fall from trees.

I did not know that, that's awesome and kudos to the parents.

Yeah, maybe.... and maybe Minny will win NCAA’s this year to stay Big Three.... yeah, right....
Minnesota is in hiding. I looked at a list of past decade champions and there are 3 teams on the list, all Big10 teams. Strangely no Minnesota.
Maybe the year they host nationals in the indoor stadium somebody might remember Minnesota wrestling.

Reactions: D3wrestler
... IMO, Ryan's preoccupation with PSU and the team race was a big reason his team wrestled tight Friday night.
Yup. Leave the storylines to the storyline people and fans. Coaches and especially athletes should stay clear.

Gable tried to embrace the inevitable storyline in seeking his team’s 10th straight title and ended up outsmarting himself, according to one analysis. So, it seems safest and simplest for participants to stick to avoiding storylines.

Last edited:
You have an outgoing kid that's looking to brand himself, you think he'll choose PSU?

If that brand is based on winning championships then yes. If it isn't who cares where they go?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT