ADVERTISEMENT

First one Fired

bkmtnittany1

Jan 12, 2014
Jones at UT or Riley at Nebraska...my bet is on the Cornhusker guy going first. No way an interim takes UT into Tuscaloosa

Reactions: ram511
Tennessee still seems in reasonably good shape to make a bowl game with games against UK, Southern Miss, Mizzou and Vandy left. Jones is probably toast regardless but need to keep that goal in mind.

If Riley isn't fired this week he'll probably be around for duration of season. I'm not sure there's a game left on their schedule they can win except maybe Minnesota. The bye week would have been the perfect time to make a move like this but there's really no upside to making a coaching change in season unless your choice to replace is currently unemployed in the profession. Otherwise, recruiting will take a major hit regardless.

I think it is a flip-of-the-coin situation between those two.

The real interesting aspect of firing a coach moving foward is how/if the early NOI december date plays into all of this?

Jones at UT or Riley at Nebraska...my bet is on the Cornhusker guy going first. No way an interim takes UT into Tuscaloosa

Think they'll pull the trigger on either of these guys before the end of the season? That seems to be a trend of late, in order to get a leg up on the search.

Both have been, but are not currently, big-time, high-level jobs. Both will want someone who can restore their program to their desired level.

Nebraska seems to already have its eyes on Scott Frost, if the widespread assumptions come to be.

Tennessee is an interesting one to watch. Do they go with the hottest current HC at a smaller program? The hottest current Coord at a big-time school? Do ties to Tenn. matter? Tee Martin is the OC at USC, and has been mentioned as a hot candidate for 2018 openings.

Both programs will get a lot of resumes sent their way. And in the meantime, their staffs are left to scramble, starting sooner than later. That part of it is a harsh reality that really sucks.

James Franklin.

He has to trip up on some week’s “Akron” one of these days... and when he does, some idiot somewhere will be handed a microphone to suggest Franklin and Jim Harbaugh should be run outta town.

Tennessee still seems in reasonably good shape to make a bowl game with games against UK, Southern Miss, Mizzou and Vandy left. Jones is probably toast regardless but need to keep that goal in mind.

If Riley isn't fired this week he'll probably be around for duration of season. I'm not sure there's a game left on their schedule they can win except maybe Minnesota. The bye week would have been the perfect time to make a move like this but there's really no upside to making a coaching change in season unless your choice to replace is currently unemployed in the profession. Otherwise, recruiting will take a major hit regardless.

Do you think, when Riley is fired, he will get to go back to Oregon State for the 3rd time?
Remember, he left OSU for the San Diego Chargers. And, when he lost that particular job, Dennis Erickson left OSU, and Riley found a soft landing spot. It seems to be setting up that way again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT