ADVERTISEMENT

First amateur wins PGA event since Phil M

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Michelson won in 1991. Nick Dunlap, sophomore at Alabama wins.

Winning check is $1.5 million. …. But he can’t accept it since he is an amateur. Money goes to the second place finisher.

Absolutely tremendous feat. It can't be understate how difficult this is to perform. Tiger and Nicklaus couldn't do it. This may be the top sports moment of this fresh new year come December. I started following Mickelson in 1991 when he achieved this same feat and watched his entire career grow. Dunlap has the goods. The final round of US Amateur when Dunlap beat Pittsburgh's Neal Shipley, was one of the greatest short game performances I have ever witnessed. I put it right there with Spieth and Harman's wins at the British which also displayed some of the greatest short game play I have ever seen in a round.

I played nearly every day of my life for many years with a former PGA Tour player back in my day. What Dunlap did was just remarkable. Golf is such an amazing sport. The ultimate test of mind and body.

Dunlap is a perfect example of why I hate the LIV model, and the PGA's newest attempt to appease the bigger name players with the signature events. It's unfortunate that we won't be able to see similar stories this year at Pebble, Riviera, Harbor Town, etc. It seems that many like the idea of these smaller field, no-cut events, but I hate them (and hate anything that forces Bill Murray out of the Pebble Beach Pro-am).

Reactions: dailybuck777
Sounds like no. But don’t feel too bad for him. He will quickly get lots of lucrative endorsements and appearance deals.
And in addition to the endorsements and all of the tour events where he'll need to make cuts to earn $, he's in Signature events (ie, next week at Pebble, and 3 weeks from now at Riviera) where there isn't a cut and he'll make $ regardless. He won't be hurting for $.

Reactions: lazydave841
Good that he gets entry into the major events. But it said he will be in the US Open as the reigning US Amateur winner……. so if he wins or places well will he get paid? Or considered an amateur for that one event?
He's a pro from this point forward, so he'd get paid. Turning pro doesn't impact an Amateur's invitee status in the US Open, but it does make him lose his Masters Invite (Amateurs would need to stay am Am to keep the invitation)....however, it doesn't apply for Dunlap since winning the event qualified him for the Masters via another criteria, so now he's ok to turn pro and keep his invite.

Good that he gets entry into the major events. But it said he will be in the US Open as the reigning US Amateur winner……. so if he wins or places well will he get paid? Or considered an amateur for that one event?
Dunlap accepted his invite to the Tour yesterday, so he's now a full PGA Tour pro. I'm sure LIV called him this week to offer him the bag.
The way the prize purse works in golf is you maintain the status you had when registering/entering the event until the competition is final. You can't wake up on final day and say I'm turning pro to get the purse. Well, you could but your status until the completion of that event is still amateur and the purse distribution would not be altered.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT