ADVERTISEMENT

FC: syracuse university suspends frat for racist video

good-morning-america-what-are-we-offended-by-today.jpg

Reactions: fizzyskittles
sounds like somebody in the administration needs to look up "parody"

Why am I not at all surprised that this thread is already full of people trying to justify this fraternity’s racism?

The fact is that the fraternity should be shut down permanently and the students’ punishment will be richly deserved. There’s no possible context or “parody” that can justify this behavior.

Because some folk think that words and thoughts while offensive , aren’t grounds for a hissy fit every time someone says something stupid.

Why am I not at all surprised that this thread is already full of people trying to justify this fraternity’s racism?

The fact is that the fraternity should be shut down permanently and the students’ punishment will be richly deserved. There’s no possible context or “parody” that can justify this behavior.

I'm sure you're just as outraged when every single black comedian does their white person impressions.

if you can't see the difference between mocking racism and practicing it, maybe you need to look up "parody" too

If you are going to do something like this, don't be stupid enough to record it. If you are going to record it, don't be stupid enough to post it!

Reactions: BBrown and Nitt1300

How can a Fraternity be racist?

LdN

Reactions: Madsol

I'm sure you'll be happy to be the one to come up with proper punishments for thoughts that you disagree with.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan

You are an idiot

Wow, you think that was parody? For who? That hugely diverse crowd in the video?
The fraternity said that each semester, new members are given a chance to write a skit to roast the active brothers. One skit was meant as a parody in order to roast a brother who is a conservative Republican. A new member pretended to be a racist conservative character.

"It was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person. The young man playing the part of this character nor the young man being roasted do not hold any of the horrible views espoused as a part of that sketch," Theta Tau said.

The fraternity added that it has a diverse membership, but that "many bright lines were obviously crossed. The language used in this sketch is disgraceful, and it made the active brothers very uncomfortable." The group added that it would "maintain a dialogue" with fellow students.

The fraternity said that each semester, new members are given a chance to write a skit to roast the active brothers. One skit was meant as a parody in order to roast a brother who is a conservative Republican. A new member pretended to be a racist conservative character.

"It was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person. The young man playing the part of this character nor the young man being roasted do not hold any of the horrible views espoused as a part of that sketch," Theta Tau said.

The fraternity added that it has a diverse membership, but that "many bright lines were obviously crossed. The language used in this sketch is disgraceful, and it made the active brothers very uncomfortable." The group added that it would "maintain a dialogue" with fellow students.

Brothers? :eek:

Im guessing he pointed out that being a University frat is a privilege, not a right.

if you can't see the difference between mocking racism and practicing it, maybe you need to look up "parody" too

After watching the video this is where I land too. There seems to have been a point the frat was trying to get across; some kind of social commentary on ignorance and racism and stereotypes using skits as a vehicle for that message - I don't know that they were ultimately successful in that endeavor but this wasn't 'Blackface Night at Theta Tau' or anything. Still, dumb to share or post online without any context.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror

Well said. Don't let the racists and bigots, who are criticizing you (and I'm sure all voted for Trump) get to you.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
Actually it is a right at public schools.
Well, freedom of speech and freedom of association are rights. This could potentially be an interesting situation if Syracuse were a public school, which I don't think it is.

Huh. I would be interested to see how that is so.
Fraternities, like other private organizations, have First Amendment "free association" rights. Some local fraternities (and even a few local chapters of national fraternities) have elected to rely upon their "free association" rights and remain active and open on some college campuses without signing the "Association Agreement" or "Recognition Agreement" the local University demands as a condition of University recognition. (These Agreements have become steadily more onerous and one sided over time.) If a local fraternity or chapter refuses to sign, it typically means the local fraternity or chapter cannot participate in formal rush (since formal rush is typically University sponsored and organized), it cannot get lists of entering male students from the University, and it cannot participate in Interfraternity Council (IFC) activities and events.

More ominously, in many cities it also means that use of the fraternity's chapter house, already zoned by the city as a "non-conforming" use which is legal if the fraternity is officially recognized by the University, becomes an illegal "non-conforming" use. This gives the City ostensible authority to shut down use of the property as a fraternity house. The legality of this zoning maneuver has not been, to my knowledge, litigated since a Rhode Island Supreme Court decision first suggested it as a viable tactic for cities and universities seeking more leverage over fraternities. But in the wake of the Rhode Island Supreme Court decision, MANY municipalities where universities are located (including State College and Berkeley) quietly amended their zoning ordinances to make fraternity houses legal non-confirming uses provided the subject fraternity is university recognized. So one may reasonably expect that litigation will at some point occur, and make it to the point where an appellate court weighs in, meaning that a court opinion will be published and legal precedent will be created.

Fraternities, like other private organizations, have First Amendment "free association" rights. Some local fraternities (and even a few local chapters of national fraternities) have elected to rely upon their "free association" rights and remain active and open on some college campuses without signing the "Association Agreement" or "Recognition Agreement" the local University demands as a condition of University recognition. (These Agreements have become steadily more onerous and one sided over time.) If a local fraternity or chapter refuses to sign, it typically means the local fraternity or chapter cannot participate in formal rush (since formal rush is typically University sponsored and organized), it cannot get lists of entering male students from the University, and it cannot participate in Interfraternity Council (IFC) activities and events.

More ominously, in many cities it also means that use of the fraternity's chapter house, already zoned by the city as a "non-conforming" use which is legal if the fraternity is officially recognized by the University, becomes an illegal "non-conforming" use. This gives the City ostensible authority to shut down use of the property as a fraternity house. The legality of this zoning maneuver has not been, to my knowledge, litigated since a Rhode Island Supreme Court decision first suggested it as a viable tactic for cities and universities seeking more leverage over fraternities. But in the wake of the Rhode Island Supreme Court decision, MANY municipalities where universities are located (including State College and Berkeley) quietly amended their zoning ordinances to make fraternity houses legal non-confirming uses provided the subject fraternity is university recognized. So one may reasonably expect that litigation will at some point occur, and make it to the point where an appellate court weighs in, meaning that a court opinion will be published and legal precedent will be created.
Driving, they say, is a privilege, not a right. You can earn a license to drive, but they can take it back if you f it up.

The privilege of being a UNIVERSITY frat has nothing to do with 1st Amendment rights.

You can join any frat, but your frat only gets University sanction if you are granted that privilege.

Last edited:
Dtiving, they say, is a privilege, not a right. You can earn a license to drive, but they can take it back if you f it up.

The privilege of being a UNIVERSITY frat has nothing to do with 1st Amendment rights.

You can join any frat, but your frat only gets University sanction if you are granted that privilege.
Yes, well, if the state tries to take away your drivers license because it doesn't like what you say, who you associate with, or what religion you practice, then the state is going to have a problem on its hands.

Dtiving, they say, is a privilege, not a right. You can earn a license to drive, but they can take it back if you f it up.

If you are saying that being a "university recognized fraternity" is a privilege rather than a right, I agree with you completely. My point was that there are plenty of fraternities which have elected to forego university recognition and instead operate as an unrecognized fraternity, relying on their First Amendment "free association" rights as protection from being shut down. I believe you are agreeing with me, and also hope so, because what I noted in the preceding sentence is simply a fact.

Last edited:
A frat house without University connections is just a rented house with funny secret handshakes.
It is the University connection that makes it have cachet, and that's a privilege.

Regarding parody, a Jewish film group created clever parodies of “unspeakable” words and “unseeable” actions, in a landmark comedy that helped to positively transform a generation.

It played in packed college town movie houses, across the nation.

Narrow-minded Administrative PC censorship would have shut down the parodies of non-PC actions that viewers internalized, while they were laughing at likable lampooning and learning long lasting lessons.

Last edited:
Yes, well, if the state tries to take away your drivers license because it doesn't like what you say, who you associate with, or what religion you practice, then the state is going to have a problem on its hands.
Yes. And? The right to be free from discrimination on those bases is a right, not a privilege. Go get a driver's license if you are totally blind.

A frat house without University connections is just a rented house with funny secret handshakes.
It is the University connection that makes it have cachet, and that's a privilege.
You're definitely oversimplifying this. It's a privilege to be recognized as a University club. What happens if a University refuses to recognize the Muslim club, because it doesn't like Muslims?

Yes. And? The right to be free from discrimination on those bases is a right, not a privilege. Go get a driver's license if you are totally blind.
Stop deflecting. We're talking about speech here, not vision.

Stop deflecting. We're talking about speech here, not vision.
Wow. You can lose your privilege to be associated with Syracuse by being racist assholes. It just happened. It won't be overturned. Guess what? They can kick you out of school, too.

Reactions: nittany dave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT