ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Sports Illustrated - Penn State 25 Years in the Big Ten....

SI cover:

DM2eS3bXkAAfAkE.jpg

No. I like being able to play the best teams in the country in most sports, and I think we have a lot in common academically with the B10 schools.
There's a reason the best women's volleyball is no longer played on the West Coast. That's the Big 10. Game changer for that sport--especially once Nebraska was added.

Hasn't PSUs academics improved also? Being in the CIC is a massive advantage for B1G schools, academically.

I'd think it would be near 100% in PSUs world of academia for B1G approval ratings 25 years later.
I'll let our resident expert, Art, tear you a new one if he sees this post.

The B1G of the 1970s was considerably overrated --- and so is Bo Schembechler. I definitely believe that.

It was. MSU had beaten Woody Hayes in 71, 72, and 74 costing him huge years and he ratted us out to the ncaa for some infractions and the ncaa dropped the hammer. No tv, no bowl games, etc. we won the big ten in 1978 but no Rose Bowl. It started the 40 years of mediocrity before Dantonio. Purdue was also ok in that era. So you had an ok MSU and an ok Purdue and 6 tomato cans.

Google or YouTube how OSU lost to MSU in 74. Game ended in MSU win but it was final until like half hour after.

Craziness starts like 11-12 minutes into the vid (very ending and subsequent fiasco). Plus Woody forearm shivers an MSU fan. Also on an earlier run MSU had for a td our fans were on the field and hugged the player. Different times.

Last edited:
There's a reason the best women's volleyball is no longer played on the West Coast. That's the Big 10. Game changer for that sport--especially once Nebraska was added.
Plus wrestling, men’s basketball, ice hockey, and some others. Iowa/PSU wrestling matches are huge.

The ACC would have been a better fit for PSU. Playing 2nd fiddle to tOSU & UM is not befitting the success that PSU has earned over decades.

PSU vs Miami, FSU, Clemson would all be great top tier games. I think Pitt, SU, BC, VT, would be better games in terms of fan interest than playing IU, Illinois or Minnesota. I miss watching PSU travel throughout the Northeast. PSU at Iowa just makes no sense to me. If PSU were in the ACC, ND would also be a full member and both would anchor one division with FSU and Miami in the other division.

It's all about the money and the B1G is king of the hill. Delaney did a hell of a job.

Reactions: Gnat91
Hasn't PSUs academics improved also? Being in the CIC is a massive advantage for B1G schools, academically.

I'd think it would be near 100% in PSUs world of academia for B1G approval ratings 25 years later.
Yawn...Don't care what the abuse enablers at MSU have to say about Penn State.

25 Years in the BIG - Commemorative SI Issue

How great would a BCS NC be for the Silvery Anniversary. I know I'll be buying an issue...

looks like I have to do some merging. I believe this is the 3rd thread on this subject.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT