ADVERTISEMENT

FC/SIAP: CFP Chaos

I hope that scenario plays out. Having the BIG, Big 12 and PAC 12 miss the playoffs would hopefully motivate the powers that be to expand the playoffs to 8. If it does play out like that, I hope that fans of those conferences and the non power five conferences could organize a boycott of all the playoff games. I wonder what the ratings would be if they could pull it off. I know that I won't watch a single playoff game if the four teams are Alabama, Georgia, ND and Clemson.

Reactions: BBrown
They need to do away with independents and go to 8 conferences. That would give you a 16 team playoff (top 2 from each conference playing in their CCG), then you have a two week bye - the quarter finals would be hosted at mid-tier bowls two weeks before New Years. The semi-finals would be held either NYD or the day after. The final the week after NYD. It really wouldn't impact the other bowls either as you could have the conference runner-ups still playing in Major Bowl games.

It is funny to ponder expanding the playoff because certain P5 conferences weren't good enough to earn a spot in the top four.

MONEY. :eek:

They need to do away with independents and go to 8 conferences. That would give you a 16 team playoff (top 2 from each conference playing in their CCG), then you have a two week bye - the quarter finals would be hosted at mid-tier bowls two weeks before New Years. The semi-finals would be held either NYD or the day after. The final the week after NYD. It really wouldn't impact the other bowls either as you could have the conference runner-ups still playing in Major Bowl games.

Give me independents or give me death

If the playoffs expand to include a round of on campus games do the losers still go to a bowl game? Do the losers not get the extra practice time from a bowl game?

I'd rather see 6 teams with top 2 getting a bye. 2 games on campus the week after conference title games. That would get you the P5 conference winners plus an at large. If you lose your title game then you still have a shot at the at large. Send the 1st round losers to a bowl game to face each other.

Reactions: Zenophile
If the playoffs expand to include a round of on campus games do the losers still go to a bowl game? Do the losers not get the extra practice time from a bowl game?

I'd rather see 6 teams with top 2 getting a bye. 2 games on campus the week after conference title games. That would get you the P5 conference winners plus an at large. If you lose your title game then you still have a shot at the at large. Send the 1st round losers to a bowl game to face each other.
I don't see why you couldn't do exactly what you said but with 8. No byes.

Reactions: bison13
The inclusion of only 4 teams in the CFP allows every game to still matter, which is a key imgredient to the success of college football overall. If expansion is truly inevitable, then include no more than 6 (p5 conference champs + 1 at-large).

If you guaranteed p5 champs get in - they would have to guarantee a non p5 gets in. That is the only way they would get it passed. No way would the SEC/etc sign off on a system which limits it to only 1 team. 8 is the only way to go if they will guarantee champs in

giphy.gif

The inclusion of only 4 teams in the CFP allows every game to still matter, which is a key imgredient to the success of college football overall. If expansion is truly inevitable, then include no more than 6 (p5 conference champs + 1 at-large).

You could make a case right now that every game doesn't matter- and expanding to 8 would matter more. The Iron Bowl will be meaningless as far as the playoffs go. If Bama wins that they are in. If they lose the Iron Bowl but beat Georgia - they are in.

An 8 team playoff would be 1) Bama 2) Clemson 3) ND 4) Michigan, 5) Georgia 6) Oklahoma 7) Washington St 8) UCF

With an 8 team playoff - the Iron Bowl would matter more this year. If the 1st round was at home - the top 4 would be MORE meaningful. Right Now - Bama has to play UM/ND and then Clemson (likely) to win the title - if they lose the Iron Bowl, and beat Georgia - they will have to play Clemson and then UM/ND or UM/ND and then Clemson - all in neutral site games. No different.

No with an 8 team playoff - a loss would change the 1st round game for Bama from Hosting UCF to either hosting UM/ND or traveling to one of those 2. Big difference.

This year - the ND/UM game is essentially meaningless. ND having won - will play Clemson and then Bama - neutral Site instead of Playing Bama then Clemson - neutral site. With an 8 team - it is hosting Oklahoma/WVU/WSU depending on how things play out vs hosting Georgia. Big Difference.

There would be 2 wildcards coming from 5 conferences+ND - so more games would matter. Plus there would be HUGE difference being in the top 4 - hosting vs traveling.

The other thing it could potentially help in is better OOC matchups. Right now - SOS is important if things are close - but wins matter more. If all p5 champs got in - SOS would take on more weight - as it could be the difference between home/away game - or playing non P5 champ vs playing a heavyweight - so teams might be willing to schedule heavier in the OOC to get the edge - as loss wouldn't kill you as you still get in. The better matchups can help you prepare for the 3 game gauntlet that would be the playoffs.

Reactions: bmw199

I would love to see a southern school come up to B1G school and play in December.

Reactions: Langmuir
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT