ADVERTISEMENT

FC: PSU's Second Motion to Stay Proceedings in MM Whistleblower Suit - LINK to filing

Someone will have to explain to me why the University doesn't settle with Mike. I don't get it.

They paid out to all these victims that had zero to do with PSU. They torched Tim, Gary, Graham & Joe.

IMO it all circles back to Frank " Slapping Sounds" Fina, Tom "Petty" Corbett and the Commonwealth that really need to pay all these parties they destroyed. Considering the AG's office was cooking Penn State's goose all along, started the shitstorm with a false "rape" narrative AND the state failed to properly oversee Second Mile.

But I don't get the strategy here on the part of PSU. Or are they hell bent on destroying those who were employees?

Someone will have to explain to me why the University doesn't settle with Mike. I don't get it.

They paid out to all these victims that had zero to do with PSU. They torched Tim, Gary, Graham & Joe.

IMO it all circles back to Frank " Slapping Sounds" Fina, Tom "Petty" Corbett and the Commonwealth that really need to pay all these parties they destroyed. Considering the AG's office was cooking Penn State's goose all along, started the shitstorm with a false "rape" narrative AND the state failed to properly oversee Second Mile.

But I don't get the strategy here on the part of PSU. Or are they hell bent on destroying those who were employees?

It defies logic. All I can conclude based on Ira Lubert's statements and settlements that he is hellbent on screwing people over instead of protecting the university. MM is going to get to depose bot members and get access to the Freeh files.

Reactions: step.eng69

I can't answer your key question but I LOVE the Tom "Petty" Corbett moniker! :cool: Outstanding!
"Don't do me like that", Tommy

It defies logic. All I can conclude based on Ira Lubert's statements and settlements that he is hellbent on screwing people over instead of protecting the university. MM is going to get to depose bot members and get access to the Freeh files.
If he does, there will be settlement and quick.

If he does, there will be settlement and quick.

If he's smart he won't settle quick and will instead demand a larger payout than what he is currently asking to keep everything secret and buy his silence. That said, I haven't been terribly impressed with his acumen throughout this whole ordeal.

I would think a problem MM will have is legal fees.

PSU is footing the bill for C and S.

Unless his counsel is working a contingency, he's up into the hundreds of thousand dollars range.

On a big case like this, its probably contingency. Good lawyers usually have a pretty good idea of what they are getting into before they take the case, and if the fees are paid by the loser, its good to rack up the billable hours.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
On a big case like this, its probably contingency. Good lawyers usually have a pretty good idea of what they are getting into before they take the case, and if the fees are paid by the loser, its good to rack up the billable hours.
I love me some "billable hours". Needs to get my hands on some.

BOT is fighting MM because that is protecting themselves. If they settle with MM, than they tacitly admit that they fired him injustly and that would look bad on them. We have already seen they will spend $100's of millions of dollars to protect themselves and their reputation, so what is another $1 million in legal fees to fight MM for the same reason.

Reactions: 91Joe95
BOT is fighting MM because that is protecting themselves. If they settle with MM, than they tacitly admit that they fired him injustly and that would look bad on them. We have already seen they will spend $100's of millions of dollars to protect themselves and their reputation, so what is another $1 million in legal fees to fight MM for the same reason.
Actually, the thing that DOES make this puzzling, is that the "take-away" from settling with MM - - the primary surface take-away, at least - would be:

The "Spanier-Era" PSU leadership was FUBAR and Guilty

Since that is the message that the OG Scoundrels have been pounding away at for five years (at a total cost that has to be approaching - if not surpassing - $500,000,000 by now).....their handling of MM is - on the surface anyway - very incongruent

MM was never "fired" for blowing the whistle on anything so I never understood why he filed a "whistleblower lawsuit" in the first place. He simply wasn't retained when BOB came on board. Plus MM testified no one at PSU told him to keep quiet.

From my understanding the gist of his complaint against PSU is they didn't honor some stipulations in his contract similar to what they did with JayPa, et al., please correct me if I'm wrong though.

It really is baffling why PSU has chosen to nickel and dime/not honor the contracts for MM, JayPa, and others while at the same time hand out money like candy to alleged victims who have yet to prove how ANYONE at PSU was liable for their abuse.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
stay-just-a-little-bit-longer-1024x768.png

MM was never "fired" for blowing the whistle on anything so I never understood why he filed a "whistleblower lawsuit" in the first place. He simply wasn't retained when BOB came on board. Plus MM testified no one at PSU told him to keep quiet.

From my understanding the gist of his complaint against PSU is they didn't honor some stipulations in his contract similar to what they did with JayPa, et al., please correct me if I'm wrong though.

It really is baffling why PSU has chosen to nickel and dime/not honor the contracts for MM, JayPa, and others while at the same time hand out money like candy to alleged victims who have yet to prove how ANYONE at PSU was liable for their abuse.

I'm done calling them victims. They are accusers who have not provided any proof of their claims.

Actually, the thing that DOES make this puzzling, is that the "take-away" from settling with MM - - the primary surface take-away, at least - would be:

The "Spanier-Era" PSU leadership was FUBAR and Guilty

Since that is the message that the OG Scoundrels have been pounding away at for five years (at a total cost that has to be approaching - if not surpassing - $500,000,000 by now).....their handling of MM is - on the surface anyway - very incongruent
So where does this $500 Mil come from? Surely PSU doesn't just have that kind of money laying around.

He wasn't fired unjustly, MM is an idiot

It's more about that he wasn't treated the same as the other coaches who lost their jobs in the coaching change. That will make a court sit up and take notice. Which was incredibly stupid (but not surprising) on Penn State's part. The best way to avoid a lawsuit is to treat every one in a situation exactly the same, excepting for moneys that may be based on years of service and the like. Jay's suit is not about how he was fired, for example, but the loss of potential future income due to the way things were publicly handled.

I know for example in my office when we had a layoff due to outsourcing they were very careful to balance it (as far as we could tell) via age, sex, etc. to avoid even a hint of possible discrimination. Why the PSU legal staff did not take the same care with this, I'll never understand. But I think it was personal for some folks--and that's always a bad idea.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT