ADVERTISEMENT

fc PSU v OSU 1978 in the shoe & what ever happened to Rick Donaldson

I was a Junior in 1978 at Main...PSU won on the road and the goal posts came down in Beaver Stadium, were paraded across campus and down Beaver Avenue...looking forward to another celebration in State College this Saturday.....

Reactions: ChiTownLion
I was there for that game...will never forget that one!

Ohio State fans were quite civil back then.

I was there for that game...will never forget that one!

Ohio State fans were quite civil back then.
It was my senior year & I was there too sitting in the endzone where all the field goals were made and we were in front of the OSU student section being pelted with hot dogs, drinks, etc. so by my viewpoint, not so civil. We did drink for free that night in Columbus due to the generosity of alumni.

I was also there with a much older friend from work who has since passed away. I belie ve Game Day was there. Am I imagining it? We beat them 19-0 on a beautiful Fall day.

I wasn't aware that Donaldson was ever in the doghouse. As I recall, I always heard he was well thought-of by players and coaches. Under-sized, quick, tough player.
Bob thanks- I guess its because as a soph he started 11 games at ILB for an 11-1 team, and as a jr he was second team Hero behind a converted RB. I still don't know how you switch from starting inside LB to back up OLB I guess. His senior year he was starting Hero, but got hurt that ended his season. I guess seeing him start as a true Frosh, I always thought he would go on from there.

I wasn't aware that Donaldson was ever in the doghouse. As I recall, I always heard he was well thought-of by players and coaches. Under-sized, quick, tough player.
Well, maybe, but people thought he'd be the next great linebacker at Penn State and Rich Milot turned out to be the one with the long NFL career.

what did he do to get in the doghouse, I never did know.

Great win for the Lions, but EIGHT TURNOVERS by Ohio State and only 19 points by the Lions. Joe was taking no chances on offense, with that great defense.
My Mom and Dad, now 86 and 84, drove to Ohio for that game.

And I drove from State College to Columbus for that game. Bought a ticket just outside the stadium. I was an intern at the Battelle Columbus labs just across King Avenue on the south side of the OSU campus, but that fall I was back at University Park to continue my junior year. It was definitely a beautiful day as I recall. I visited friends in Columbus after the game and then drove back to PSU.

Wasn't he the 12th man on the punt team on the Alabama shank at the end of the '78 Sugar Bowl?
Down 14-7 with about 5 minutes to play and we would have had the ball deep in Alabama territory.

I love watching these old clips. Check out Millen at around the 6:30 mark taunting the guy he just leveled.

Half those hits would be penalties today.

If PSU is going to stay in the game on Saturday....they are going to need to have Johnson and Zettle do their best impersonation of Clark and Millen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT