ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Podcast To Back You Off The Ledge...

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Sean Fitz and Andrew Callahan's post-game podcast from Lions247.com. Really good, insightful stuff (not unlike what @Judge Smails and @LaJolla Lion continue to try to preach here...) and the cover the current game/loss, recruiting updates, and a preview for Rutgers. Some cool tidbits I discovered were a) Penn State, until this week, was ranked in the Top 10 for nearly a year...,b) McSorley has set the PSU TD passing record - in TWO years, c) Limegrover was worried this spring when the OL couldn't block Givens, d) Michigan State converted FIVE 3rd and 10+ conversions on the day. Wow.

Worth a listen to calm your nerves. You can follow and download on iTunes too.

https://pennstate.247sports.com/Bol...-State-Spartans-recruiting-and-more-110042755

7817316.jpg

Haven't listened but (d) doesn't back me off the ledge. This was, up until Saturday, a pretty bad offense we were playing. Regarding (b), that's good, but when you are forced to throw on every down, you'll get stats that are a bit skewed.

Haven't listened but (d) doesn't back me off the ledge. This was, up until Saturday, a pretty bad offense we were playing. Regarding (b), that's good, but when you are forced to throw on every down, you'll get stats that are a bit skewed.

For the 'win now' set (which I am in because I hate having to always look to the future) it's not very comforting. Losses on the OL and DL force a lot of moving around and having to play more situational players (like Toney) every down. On the other hand, if you have patience, the OL is filling up with a lot of quality prospects as is nearly everywhere else on the team. If that doesn't excite you - and it may not - maybe take a pass.

How is knowing: 1) Our OL can’t block Givens and 2) Our defense gave up five 3rd and 10+ conversions going to back me off of the ledge. If anything, it’s going to move me closer to it.

Reactions: grinagrin
How is knowing: 1) Our OL can’t block Givens and 2) Our defense gave up five 3rd and 10+ conversions going to back me off of the ledge. If anything, it’s going to move me closer to it.

Well, it's a rational, well thought out discussion of the game that isn't overly emotional. It's not full of venom and hyperbole. There are two 'experts' talking about the game and while both think we should have won, they're pointing out valid reasons for our not doing so. Not going to take the sting out entirely, though this should help:

**** Justin Shorter WR Monmouth Junction, NJ 6'3" 220 6 8/6/16
**** Patrick Freiermuth TE North Andover, MA 6'4" 250 5.9 8/16/16
**** Zack Kuntz TE Camp Hill, PA 6'7" 222 5.9 11/26/16
**** Jesse Luketa LB Erie, PA 6'2" 241 5.8 2/4/17
**** Ricky Slade RB Woodbridge, VA 5'9" 190 6 2/4/17
**** Nick Tarburton LB Perkasie, PA 6'3" 246 5.8 2/10/17
**** Trent Gordon DB Manvel, TX 5'11" 171 5.8 3/29/17
**** Antwan Reed OL Muskegon, MI 6'6" 323 5.8 4/22/17
**** Nana Asiedu OL Stafford, VA 6'5" 254 5.9 4/22/17
**** Jordan Miner DB Wesley Chapel, FL 6'1" 180 5.8 7/6/17
**** Judge Culpepper DE Tampa, FL 6'5" 265 5.8 7/14/17
**** Daniel George WR Oxon Hill, MD 6'1" 208 5.8 7/16/17
**** Isheem Young DB Philadelphia, PA 5'10" 204 5.9 7/18/17
**** Juice Scruggs OL Erie, PA 6'3" 270 5.8 8/4/17
**** PJ Mustipher DT Owings Mills, MD 6'4" 292 5.9 8/7/17
**** Aeneas Hawkins DT Cincinnati, OH 6'3" 260 5.8 8/10/17
**** Isaiah Humphries DB Sachse, TX 5'11" 188 5.7 1/1/17
*** Charlie Katshir LB Mechanicsburg, PA 6'2" 202 5.7 2/3/17
*** Bryce Effner OL Aurora, IL 6'5" 286 5.7 5/6/17
*** Will Levis QB Middletown, CT 6'4" 222 5.6 7/15/17
*** S. Anderson-Butts WR Harrisburg, PA 6'0" 197 5.7 7/15/17
** Jake Pinegar K Ankeny, IA 6'3" 195 5.3 7/16/17

I took note of CJF's post game comments stating that we are not a good team up front.

"We are too finesse" he said. “We’re going to become more of a hard-nosed team up front on both sides of the ball."

I may be wrong but this smelled like when CJF fired Donovan. CJF is a CEO type coach. He lets the coaches coach but gets involved when he sees a deficiency. This smelled to me like he was going to go to JoeMo and order up some changes.

We'll see.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I took note of CJF's post game comments stating that we are not a good team up front.

"We are too finesse" he said. “We’re going to become more of a hard-nosed team up front on both sides of the ball."

I may be wrong but this smelled like when CJF fired Donovan. CJF is a CEO type coach. He lets the coaches coach but gets involved when he sees a deficiency. This smelled to me like he was going to go to JoeMo and order up some changes.

We'll see.

that was my reaction to JF's comments as well .... very interested to see if thats the case

Sean Fitz and Andrew Callahan's post-game podcast from Lions247.com. Really good, insightful stuff (not unlike what @Judge Smails and @LaJolla Lion continue to try to preach here...) and the cover the current game/loss, recruiting updates, and a preview for Rutgers. Some cool tidbits I discovered were a) Penn State, until this week, was ranked in the Top 10 for nearly a year...,b) McSorley has set the PSU TD passing record - in TWO years, c) Limegrover was worried this spring when the OL couldn't block Givens, d) Michigan State converted FIVE 3rd and 10+ conversions on the day. Wow.

Worth a listen to calm your nerves. You can follow and download on iTunes too.

https://pennstate.247sports.com/Bol...-State-Spartans-recruiting-and-more-110042755

7817316.jpg

It's been on my Monday listening agenda all year. Very rational and even handed breakdown of the team

They've been sounding the alarm on the OL since August and making it pretty clear this year would not be one for major strides there just given where the talent is on the unit and how defenses are going to be attacking PSU.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
It's been on my Monday listening agenda all year. Very rational and even handed breakdown of the team

They've been sounding the alarm on the OL since August and making it pretty clear this year would not be one for major strides there just given where the talent is on the unit and how defenses are going to be attacking PSU.

Man, I'm late to the game. Just discovered it. Good stuff.

Reactions: nits74
For the 'win now' set (which I am in because I hate having to always look to the future) it's not very comforting. Losses on the OL and DL force a lot of moving around and having to play more situational players (like Toney) every down. On the other hand, if you have patience, the OL is filling up with a lot of quality prospects as is nearly everywhere else on the team. If that doesn't excite you - and it may not - maybe take a pass.
Hear you and the OL should get better. That said, it's probably the most difficult part of a team to project based on recruiting. One thing we know is that it can't get much worse.

Hear you and the OL should get better. That said, it's probably the most difficult part of a team to project based on recruiting. One thing we know is that it can't get much worse.

Right - the list of 4**** OL 'misses' could fill two or three first teams....crazy that some of our best OL in recent history were converted DL.

These guys were forecasting a bad offensive line back in August? That's an interesting development. Wasn't JF talking up the O-line back then? If so, they were right, and he was dead wrong.

Consistently a tremendous podcast.

Great podcast. Makes the Roar Lions Road podcast look silly. I don’t need all the inside jokes and silly comments, just break it down for me and rhe 24/7 guys do an excellent job.

Man, I'm late to the game. Just discovered it. Good stuff.

ST8-14 is good too. The interviews Law has are top notch. Highly recommend the interview with Mauti.

These guys were forecasting a bad offensive line back in August? That's an interesting development. Wasn't JF talking up the O-line back then? If so, they were right, and he was dead wrong.
No, they were saying that the line was a below-average unit in 2016 that was looking to grow into an average unit, but it was not realistic for them to grow into the elite unit that some fans were expecting.

As for Franklin, it's coach-speak - nothing more, nothing less. The offensive line had been lambasted both in the fanbase and nationally for years coming into 2017. Now that there's finally B1G-level raw talent on the offensive line, I suspect Franklin was trying to build their confidence and establish within them a little bit of the "swagger" and self-confidence that he's said for years has been missing in that unit. But if Limegrover was privately mentioning before the season that he was concerned about the line's inability to block Kevin Givens, I guarantee you that the head coach was having the same concerns.

Or Franklin was trying to boost the confidence of a unit he knew needed it. Why on earth would Franklin - or any coach - come out in preseason and say this one unit is still a weak link?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT