ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: The next great American tennis player? And she looks like Kournikova...?!

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Amanda Anisimova (Freehold, NJ) made it to the 2016 French Open junior finals and did one better today after winning the U.S. Open Girls Final. U.S. women's tennis certainly looking very good lately! And doesn't she bear a striking resemblance to someone we know?

fl-orange-bowl-tennis-1206-20161205

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Well, unlike Kournakova, maybe she could win something of significance.

Kournikova won a ton of tournaments at the junior level and a couple of Grand Slam Championships (as a doubles player). She didn't live up to her hype as a singles player, but had a decent career. Actually the #1 ranked doubles player in the world in November 1999. Anyway - yeah, Amanda seems to be off to a great start but junior wins don't always translate. Here's hoping they do for her!

Kournikova won a ton of tournaments at the junior level and a couple of Grand Slam Championships (as a doubles player). She didn't live up to her hype as a singles player, but had a decent career. Actually the #1 ranked doubles player in the world in November 1999. Anyway - yeah, Amanda seems to be off to a great start but junior wins don't always translate. Here's hoping they do for her!
Dude, if doubles titles meant anything the Williams sisters would be unquestionably the greatest athletes (not just tennis players ever). If looks got you success on the court, she would have 23 pro majors. However, I am not sure if she ever made a majors final.

Dude, if doubles titles meant anything the Williams sisters would be unquestionably the greatest athletes (not just tennis players ever). If looks got you success on the court, she would have 23 pro majors. However, I am not sure if she ever made a majors final.

She didn't. Still had a good if not spectacular career. The Williams sisters aren't even close to a fair comparison.

Well, unlike Kournakova, maybe she could win something of significance.

Dude, you have no sense of perspective. Kournikova, at one point, was the 6th ranked female tennis player in the world. IN.THE.WORLD.

How many other tennis players, female or male, or athletes in their sport, or workers in their profession, can say they were the 6th best at what they do ON.THE.PLANET in that profession at any given time? You think every tennis player in high school, college and or professional would have liked to have reached as high as 6th ranked in the world? Are you the 6th best in your profession in the world?

No, you think she was a failure because she didn't win something of significance. She did win two majors as in doubles and reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon in singles. Having played tennis in college, you think I would of liked to have reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon or won two doubles titles in majors? How many other tennis players would like to reach the semi-finals at Wimbledon?

Man, you need some perspective.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt

I know they're great athletes and all, but geez. A debate about women's tennis?? I don't think I can visit this board anymore.

Reactions: m48tank
Dude, you have no sense of perspective. Kournikova, at one point, was the 6th ranked female tennis player in the world. IN.THE.WORLD.

How many other tennis players, female or male, or athletes in their sport, or workers in their profession, can say they were the 6th best at what they do ON.THE.PLANET in that profession at any given time? You think every tennis player in high school, college and or professional would have liked to have reached as high as 6th ranked in the world? Are you the 6th best in your profession in the world?

No, you think she was a failure because she didn't win something of significance. She did win two majors as in doubles and reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon in singles. Having played tennis in college, you think I would of liked to have reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon or won two doubles titles in majors? How many other tennis players would like to reach the semi-finals at Wimbledon?

Man, you need some perspective.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt
And yes, she still didn't win anything of significance. No one said she is a terrible athlete. I said that I wish this "young phenom" who happens to be attractive to Midnighter actually wins something of significance. I would love for another women to be able to continue the dominance that the Williams sisters have for USA. Hopefully Sloane Stevens can do it. Don't be butt hurt because I stated that Kournakova never won anything of significance, as I am right about that statement!

The next great american tennis player just won the US open. Was she too old for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: smealpsu2005
The next great american tennis player just won the US open. Was she too old?

Certainly not - but Stephens has been a pro since 2010 (and before that on the junior circuit). She's 24. Consider Venus Williams turned pro at 14 and won her first Grand Slam at age 20. She's 37 now and still going pretty strong. Would love to see the next wave of U.S. Women's Tennis players (Stephens, Vandeweghe, and Keys) keep up the good work. Also nice to see more talent waiting in the wings - and winning the U.S. Open Girls Title is significant - for a 16 year old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT