ADVERTISEMENT

FC OT: The 10 Best Places to Live in Pennsylvania

I LOL'd at "There's two types of people who live in Camp Hill. Either the old hold outs who have lived there forever and are watching their home values skyrocket, or those d who can afford to buy a $212,900 home there."

$219K seems really, really cheap to me. Where I live that would get you a studio condo in a terrible neighborhood.

I'm not sure if I missed a discussion on this (or whether it warrants one) but I felt this was interesting:
THE 10 BEST Places To Live In Pennsylvania For 2020
Oddly, for me anyway, Bucks County got no love.

One time, when I was a little kid (maybe 10) I asked my mom where is the best place in the world to live. I thought she might say Paris or Rome. She said "The best place to live is where you are happy, and I am very happy right here, so this is the best place in the world for me to live." My mom passed away 20 years ago, but I still live just a few miles from the place she said those words to me and, just like she said, I am happy, so this is the best place in the world for me to live.:)

I LOL'd at "There's two types of people who live in Camp Hill. Either the old hold outs who have lived there forever and are watching their home values skyrocket, or those d who can afford to buy a $212,900 home there."

$219K seems really, really cheap to me. Where I live that would get you a studio condo in a terrible neighborhood.

Yeah I read that and it had me scratching my head.

Yeah I read that and it had me scratching my head.

Not sure which school dist they are looking at. $212K in Camp Hill will get a young person or couple a decent starter home. Most of the nicer homes are more in the $450K-600K+ range. I know you can get a nice home near Cedar Cliff for $350K+.

Not sure which school dist they are looking at. $212K in Camp Hill will get a young person or couple a decent starter home. Most of the nicer homes are more in the $450K-600K+ range. I know you can get a nice home near Cedar Cliff for $350K+.
homes in the Camp Hill school district for way less than that.

Actually it is an extremely small section of town where prices are north of 450k

And historically it has been viewed as a great school.

Looking at the data table is VERY interesting. While the place I grew up isn't on there (dairy farm in Lower Chanceford Township, not on this list) the place I went to high school and spent a lot of time (Red Lion) is middle of the road overall (91), however 3rd in unemployment and 28th in poverty level. I never would have guessed.... very cool datasets for sure.

Looking at the data table is VERY interesting. While the place I grew up isn't on there (dairy farm in Lower Chanceford Township, not on this list) the place I went to high school and spent a lot of time (Red Lion) is middle of the road overall (91), however 3rd in unemployment and 28th in poverty level. I never would have guessed.... very cool datasets for sure.

When did you graduate from Red Lion? I'm currently sitting at my desk in Dear Ole Red Lion High!

When did you graduate from Red Lion? I'm currently sitting at my desk in Dear Ole Red Lion High!
Red Lion I'd love to go......
8626ea70395f0cc94c8150958fdfebbb

I am originally from ch. a very very nice place to grow up. But 10 best in pa?

Best county in the whole state; and yes, I'm biased :D
I lived and worked there for almost 3 years back in the 90’s and hated it but then again I’m a hick born and raised in south central pa. The crime rate and cost of living there at the time was a culture shock to me.

Funny how Wyomissing is “just about as perfect as you can get”

And checks in at 10.

And Wyomissing borders Reading that is ranked #8 on Worst Places to Live. Wyomissing is a nice place but I think gets a comparison bump because Reading is just so awful. Sort of like when a 5 stands next to a 2 she becomes a 7.
8 of 10 in southeast pa .... lost me with that alone.

Well western Pa picks up 5 of the top 10 worst places to live if that makes ya happier.

Northampton being #22 on the best does and doesn't come to a surprise. Lived there all my life but feel the cement plant across the river in Cementon always gives it an sore view. The rural area of Northampton is very nice with some historic locations.

I'm not sure if I missed a discussion on this (or whether it warrants one) but I felt this was interesting:
THE 10 BEST Places To Live In Pennsylvania For 2020
Oddly, for me anyway, Bucks County got no love.
Bucks and Chester are the two best counties in PA and it’s not even close. Along with the more congested Montgomery county they are very expensive to live in and they should be. Name a great place to live anywhere in the Notheast that’s not expensive. I’ll pay more for schools, culture and access to beaches and big cities. I laugh at these ranking that eliminate towns based on cost of living.

So typical of these "ratings"...

Look at the criteria used...

"Population density (higher better)".

Not if you hate traffic and congestion and like, you know... nature and tranquility.

Doofis - raised in the former Garden Spot of the World (now an outlet mall). Now on a dirt road off of another dirt road. The dirt gets old fast... but i hear nothing but nature at night...zero crime...i can hunt out my back and front doors... and have good Amish buddies... etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Spackler
Bucks and Chester are the two best counties in PA and it’s not even close. Along with the more congested Montgomery county they are very expensive to live in and they should be. Name a great place to live anywhere in the Notheast that’s not expensive. I’ll pay more for schools, culture and access to beaches and big cities. I laugh at these ranking that eliminate towns based on cost of living.
Which is why I live in Montco! They are. Ice but expensive as all get out.

Collegeville got the love. It is nice, I am one town over. Great location, great amenities, close enough to the city without the riff raff! Love it in this area.

they are smoking crack on Conshohocken! That place is a hole, unless you like major highways in your back yard.

Reactions: gregoryj95
So typical of these "ratings"...

Look at the criteria used...

"Population density (higher better)".

Not if you hate traffic and congestion and like, you know... nature and tranquility.

Doofis - raised in the former Garden Spot of the World (now an outlet mall). Now on a dirt road off of another dirt road. The dirt gets old fast... but i hear nothing but nature at night...can hunt out my back and front doors... and have good Amish buddies... etc.

But if the population density is that low should it qualify as a city or “place” for inclusion in a list like this.

And the houses aren’t worth that much. Most overrated place to live anywhere in Central Pa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT