ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Penn State Cultural Interest Survey! Did you get one?

A

anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

I did. And, it provides another excellent opportunity to tell Penn State - specifically - why you have no faith in their ability to practice good fiscal stewardship. While I like this idea in principle (and would love to see more art/science collections on campus), I have no faith in our leadership to execute this without some major issue.

---

kgYVM8mxvWJDbYJ-bKKPOwCMr4-wGMmtoB6H9LT30ura_9eMZFs2vYNjcuic6CajGeREpAiwYPxm_-QUqdAngEmZRTWER6fnX8CGXumqFXEv3mgLqNgxeA=s0-d-e1-ft

Are you interested in the intersection of art and science at Penn State? Please take our survey.

Penn State is seeking the views and input of its community as the university considers the development of a world-class collection of arts and science institutions, as well as unique public spaces within Penn State's flagship campus in State College.

The opinions of alumni and friends are very important to us as we deepen our understanding of Penn State’s role in the world. We have commissioned Grenzebach Glier and Associates (GG+A) to conduct this survey on our behalf.

The survey should take about five to ten minutes to complete. Your privacy and candor are important to us; your responses will be held in strict confidence by Penn State and will not be shared with anyone else.

If you have any technical issues or questions regarding this survey, please contact GG+A at surveylab@grenzglier.com or by phone at (312) 372-4040 and ask for the Survey Lab. For any other questions, please contact Karen Helsley at klh50@psu.edu or (814) 863-0694.

Thank you for your participation.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I filled it out just to point out a lot of the problems with the University, mainly the outrageous price of tuition. I let them know they missed 2 really good students because I couldn’t afford to send my daughter’s to PSU, both whom were accepted to the UP campus. The older one has a doctorate in NucE and the younger graduated summa cum laude from OSU.

I filled it out just to point out a lot of the problems with the University, mainly the outrageous price of tuition. I let them know they missed 2 really good students because I couldn’t afford to send my daughter’s to PSU, both whom were accepted to the UP campus. The older one has a doctorate in NucE and the younger graduated summa cum laude from OSU.

I also thoughtfully filled out the survey and explained my issues with their governance.

Reactions: Zenophile
I did. And, it provides another excellent opportunity to tell Penn State - specifically - why you have no faith in their ability to practice good fiscal stewardship. While I like this idea in principle (and would love to see more art/science collections on campus), I have no faith in our leadership to execute this without some major issue.

---

kgYVM8mxvWJDbYJ-bKKPOwCMr4-wGMmtoB6H9LT30ura_9eMZFs2vYNjcuic6CajGeREpAiwYPxm_-QUqdAngEmZRTWER6fnX8CGXumqFXEv3mgLqNgxeA=s0-d-e1-ft

Are you interested in the intersection of art and science at Penn State? Please take our survey.

Penn State is seeking the views and input of its community as the university considers the development of a world-class collection of arts and science institutions, as well as unique public spaces within Penn State's flagship campus in State College.

The opinions of alumni and friends are very important to us as we deepen our understanding of Penn State’s role in the world. We have commissioned Grenzebach Glier and Associates (GG+A) to conduct this survey on our behalf.

The survey should take about five to ten minutes to complete. Your privacy and candor are important to us; your responses will be held in strict confidence by Penn State and will not be shared with anyone else.

If you have any technical issues or questions regarding this survey, please contact GG+A at surveylab@grenzglier.com or by phone at (312) 372-4040 and ask for the Survey Lab. For any other questions, please contact Karen Helsley at klh50@psu.edu or (814) 863-0694.

Thank you for your participation.

Didn't get it. What do they mean by "world class collection of arts and science institutions" and "unique public spaces" on campus? For a university that perpetually cries poor and has very high tuition, I'm not sure this is the priority.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Didn't get it. What do they mean by "world class collection of arts and science institutions" and "unique public spaces" on campus? For a university that perpetually cries poor and has very high tuition, I'm not sure this is the priority.

Had a similar reaction. When reading it, the first thing that came to my mind was "Exactly what is it that you are trying to say?" The crafting of a clear,simple, declarative sentence must be a lost art if pablum like this is coming from an ostensibly great institution of higher learning.

Because faculty are paid to teach, not send out questionnaires, collect, collate, and interpret data.

Um, do you realize how little PSU tenure track faculty teach and how much research they do? Faculty are "paid to teach" at Centre County Community College and Lock Haven, but at schools like PSU they are paid mainly for their research skills

Outrage don't cut it with those gherkins. Tell them you ain't giving any money. That might get their attention, but don't bet on it.

I did. Told them we prioritized other universities (GW, LSE, Oxford) as far as giving goes.

Um, do you realize how little PSU tenure track faculty teach and how much research they do? Faculty are "paid to teach" at Centre County Community College and Lock Haven, but at schools like PSU they are paid mainly for their research skills

Doesn't matter. They aren't paid to conduct surveys on behalf of PSU. So until it's put in their job description, it ain't happening....or if it is it will be done at an incremental cost that will likely exceed what the outside firm is charging.

Art that is good. It's true of course, I kinda thought the same as KS at first.

It's still cash out the door though. How complicated a survey could it be though? Perfect class project for the Marketing Department.

You could do that. Probably need a two term course and lots of patience from the clients. Does Indiana Fats strike you as the patient type?

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
These surveys are typically outsourced to promote a sense objectivity and anonymity.

These surveys are typically outsourced to promote a sense objectivity and anonymity.

And professionalism and efficiency. Surveys are what these firms do. Don't even want to think about the fire drill that would take place if someone tried to, ad hoc, cadge together resources from the University.

Now, one can question the need for such a survey, but that's a different matter.

And professionalism and efficiency. Surveys are what these firms do. Don't even want to think about the fire drill that would take place if someone tried to, ad hoc, cadge together resources from the University.

Now, one can question the need for such a survey, but that's a different matter.

All true.

Did anyone else get the Penn State E-survey on the arts and sciences?

They asked a question about my positive/negative feelings about PSU with a place for a relpy. This is what I said:

The handling of the Sandusky situation buy the then BOT was a textbook example of how not to handle such things. Accepting responsibility--nay blame--on behalf of our alumni, fans, and culture, as opposed to the individuals responsible, was a grave error. It was a difficult time, and one can legitimately disagree on how other areas were handled, such as the firing of individuals, but this specific reaction left a stain on every alumni that likely will not be erased in my lifetime. Second, the way the McQuery termination was handled exposed the University to serious financial exposure, simply because it was not handled like every other termination was handled when the new coach came on board, which is normal for any coaching change. Third the recent changes in the Alumni Association to remove Roberts Rules of Order and pack the Alumni Council have left me with no confidence in this organization. Yet Penn Staters do rise to the challenges presented and I am proud of those who did.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
The survey was too focused on where our charitable contributions are directed. I wonere what the underlying cause for the survey really was.

Did anyone else get the Penn State E-survey on the arts and sciences?

They asked a question about my positive/negative feelings about PSU with a place for a relpy. This is what I said:

The handling of the Sandusky situation buy the then BOT was a textbook example of how not to handle such things. Accepting responsibility--nay blame--on behalf of our alumni, fans, and culture, as opposed to the individuals responsible, was a grave error. It was a difficult time, and one can legitimately disagree on how other areas were handled, such as the firing of individuals, but this specific reaction left a stain on every alumni that likely will not be erased in my lifetime. Second, the way the McQuery termination was handled exposed the University to serious financial exposure, simply because it was not handled like every other termination was handled when the new coach came on board, which is normal for any coaching change. Third the recent changes in the Alumni Association to remove Roberts Rules of Order and pack the Alumni Council have left me with no confidence in this organization. Yet Penn Staters do rise to the challenges presented and I am proud of those who did.

I posted something about this a couple days ago.

Yes I got it. Rally laid into them in the comments section on what I thought of the BOT and administration - both current and former. And the impact the the BOT / administration's actions have had on the university -- alumni, students and athletic programs. And how realistic is it unless you live in the State College area, to fit in going to an art show or musical event while visiting for a game or weekend.

I still don't understand what they mean by 'world class collection of art and science institutions.' I think artistic/science-y interactive public spaces would be great, but no idea what they have in mind for the whole project. Is this more art museums or a science center? Installations in current buildings? Are they thinking of something like Anish Kapoor's 'Leviathan' installation (which I was lucky enough to see in Paris, below)?

ca436f9942cde69f5537b7a4d45dacc1--installation-art-art-installations.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I still don't understand what they mean by 'world class collection of art and science institutions.' I think artistic/science-y interactive public spaces would be great, but no idea what they have in mind for the whole project. Is this more art museums or a science center? Installations in current buildings? Are they thinking of something like Anish Kapoor's 'Leviathan' installation (which I was lucky enough to see in Paris, below)?

ca436f9942cde69f5537b7a4d45dacc1--installation-art-art-installations.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I think it was intentionally left vague so that the reader can interpret it whatever way they want.

What PSU is really asking is will you give us $$$$?

The shiny object they put in front of you to open your wallets is some vague projects......that will be "world class" of course......and it covers both those interested in the sciences or the more artsy crowd.

IMO, they just can't be forthright and honest up there. If you want to build a "world class" art museum then just say so. I may think that's a horrible idea, (and not worth the focus of the university given its crying poor all the time and high tuition), but at least ask a legitimate question and get an up or down vote.

Got it, wrote lost all confidence with Barron raising his hands and the BOT's failure to defend the University. All of my donation money goes to medical research, specifically Diabetes and Cancer. Nothing to PSU!!

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Well research brings a lot of outside money to the university and does a lot of good academically also. If I have a serious medical problem, I want to go to a good research medical university like U of Penn, not a community hospital where all they do is treat patients.

I received the survey. Rated everything as very low. The survey said I was 2/3rd’s finished and asked me if I give $250 or more to any one organization. I replied “no” and was told the survey was over.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Well research brings a lot of outside money to the university and does a lot of good academically also. If I have a serious medical problem, I want to go to a good research medical university like U of Penn, not a community hospital where all they do is treat patients.

UPMC!

I deleted mine, and while doing so I took some time to remember the BOT assholes who ****ed JVP for their own gain. I remembered the family with multiple football players, and the family with non-football players who rose to the top, and I remembered those who said that there were no do-overs, and I remembered those who ran and hid after it happened. I remember all of them, and I will never forget.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT