ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Jeremy Clarkson out at BBC/Top Gear. Full report linked.

And on that bombshell, it's time to end. RIP Top Gear

One of my favorite shows. Clarkson put the BBC in this position, they had little choice. But I will miss the show. The chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May far exceeds the US Top Gear, and Clarkson's edgy and occasional inappropriateness added a lot of humor to the show.

Absolutely agree

Originally posted by PSUSignore:
One of my favorite shows. Clarkson put the BBC in this position, they had little choice.
Based on the facts provided in the report, there was exactly one correct course of action in this (and it is the one the BBC chose.)

For the popularity of Top Gear? Not so good.

I am not a regular viewer, but when I tune in, I always enjoy the show, and Clarkson. That said, I agree with the firing. I hope the show will continue. The Brits are resilient bunch, and I think they can find a suitable replacement for Clarkson.

Rumor is May and Hammond have refused to film w/o Clarkson

That was at least while he was suspended, pending investigation. I'm not sure if they'll change their tune now that he's officially gone. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them find another network or forum (Netflix?) to create their own spinoff show. I believe UK's Top Gear was the most watched TV show in the world. Someone will certainly pursue keeping the hosts together in an effort to maintain that success, and revenue stream.

Re: Rumor is May and Hammond have refused to film w/o Clarkson

Apparently May made a comment today about them being a 'group deal&#39. All their contracts are up at the end of this month. I could see all 3 doing the program on another network.

The whole situation was just a mess and handled so poorly from the beginning. The producer apparently took himself to the ER for a swollen lip (?) and reportedly would not even open the door when Clarkson came to apologize to him. He basically refused to talk to him from behind a closed locked door. The head of the BBC compared Clarkson to a famous pedo over there last week which was an unbelievably low blow (and done anonymously). It sounds like there are a lot of personalities in this decision.

This post was edited on 3/25 1:20 PM by psu00

The show had run its course

Although it was the most profitable show on the BBC. I suspect Jeremy will resurface on the Sky network over there, but he needs to come to grip with his problems first. I suspect he may have some sort of substance abuse issues, but that is just my speculation.

wrong.

Bombastic Claskson is as big as the show itself... is not as simpke like replacing Trapper John McIntyre , Frank Burns, or a MCLean Stevenson (each of those replacements were either dreadful, or, in the cas of Harry Morgan, merely adequate at best compared to the original character imho

Re: And on that bombshell, it's time to end. RIP Top Gear

Originally posted by PSUSignore:
One of my favorite shows. Clarkson put the BBC in this position, they had little choice. But I will miss the show. The chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May far exceeds the US Top Gear, and Clarkson's edgy and occasional inappropriateness added a lot of humor to the show.
Agree. It's unfortunate but all three of them are irreplaceable. If they bring in a replacement for Clarkson there's no way the show will ever be as good. I hope they do the right thing and just pack it in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT