ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT Guess who JoeMo hired as D Cord at MSTU, yup you guessed it, maybe so PSU

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006
can now collect its money...

Mississippi State: Tennessee defensive coordinator Bob Shoop is headed to Starkville in the same capacity reports Adam Rittenberg. We can confirm the planned hire.

Unbelievable......considering Shoops lawsuit claiming a hostile work environment, is this a slap in the face to Franklin by Joemo? Very strange.

There's an open date for a non conference opponent in 2019. What would be better than having JoeMo and Shoop come into the Beav? Schedule it!
Does Mississippi State have an open date on the same date?

Much notice has been made of the fact that JoeMo doesn't have a whole lot of coaching contacts at this level, so not surprising.

However, if Mrs. Shoop wouldn't move to Pennsylvania, is she likely to move to Mississippi?
she might luv it!!

Much notice has been made of the fact that JoeMo doesn't have a whole lot of coaching contacts at this level, so not surprising.

However, if Mrs. Shoop wouldn't move to Pennsylvania, is she likely to move to Mississippi?

That wasn't the problem with his wife. And, its not a slap to CJF in any way, shape or form.

From Shoop's perspective (speculation alert), the environment at PSU had become untenable. Its nobody's fault and had little to do with Coach Shoop and his relationship with the team. Shoop had a choice: his wife or his job. I can't blame him for wanting to keep his wife happy. I feel like he was hopeful PSU would understand. Instead, PSU sued him for the payback commensurate with his contract. So he countersued.

Last edited:
I’m a little surprised at JoeMo’s moves. He takes a current assistant with him, then hires Shoop. Was the relation between Moorhead and Franklin rocky?

The college football world doesn't orbit around PSU. Moorhead is all about MSU now and is obligated to do anything he needs to do to enhance their program. Let's not watch everything he does and make a soap opera out of it. As far as I know he was all PSU for the 2 years he was paid here and now he will be zero PSU for the rest of his career. It is a job.

I’m a little surprised at JoeMo’s moves. He takes a current assistant with him, then hires Shoop. Was the relation between Moorhead and Franklin rocky?
When I got promoted and moved to another state, I took one person with me. It had nothing to do with my relationship with my boss (we had and still have a fantastic relationship). It was just a really good opportunity for the other person and a challenge he wanted to try.

I feel like he was hopeful PSU would understand. Instead, PSU sued him for the payback commensurate with his contract. So he countersued.

Wouldn't you agree that Penn State could understand he needed to be nearer to his wife, while at the same time Shoop needed to understand he did sign a legal contract and knew what he was signing.
If I'm Penn State and a coach approaches me saying it's his marriage or his job, I can't hold that against him. But, yes, he is responsible for upholding the contract.
Can't see any university saying - hey, we understand. Go be with the Mrs. and we hope it all works out for the best. And, you know, let's just waive that big clause where you owe the university thousands (I really don't know the amount) of dollars.
If this was not your meaning in the post, I'll apologize now.

OL

Well, it's certainly consistent with Shoop's desire to become a head co... wait, nevermind.

Reactions: gslachta
Joe is getting a defensive coach who has coached in the SEC at Vandy and Tennessee for a number of years, will help in recruiting and will help allow Joe to focus on his strength: the offensive side of the team.

Shoop has had numerous injuries at Tennessee, he did not suddenly forget how to coach while at Tenn.

Unbelievable......considering Shoops lawsuit claiming a hostile work environment, is this a slap in the face to Franklin by Joemo? Very strange.

Shoop was no longer coaching at Penn State, so how is his hiring an insult or slap in the face to Penn State or Franklin? What if Moorhead was able to convice LJ Sr. to be his D coordinator at MSU... is that an insult to Penn State as well? Maybe its a slap in the face to tOSU? Nah, he's just hiring the best staff that he can, based upon his resources and the attractiveness of MSU.

Joe is getting a defensive coach who has coached in the SEC at Vandy and Tennessee for a number of years, will help in recruiting and will help allow Joe to focus on his strength: the offensive side of the team.

Shoop has had numerous injuries at Tennessee, he did not suddenly forget how to coach while at Tenn.

I know there were a ton of injuries in 2016 and the UTfans gave him a pass. Were there many injuries in 2017? I dont know.

Shoop was no longer coaching at Penn State, so how is his hiring an insult or slap in the face to Penn State or Franklin? What if Moorhead was able to convice LJ Sr. to be his D coordinator at MSU... is that an insult to Penn State as well? Maybe its a slap in the face to tOSU? Nah, he's just hiring the best staff that he can, based upon his resources and the attractiveness of MSU.
Some people are always looking for a negative slant.

This is Joe helping out Penn State. This way Shoop will have the money to pay what he owes to Penn State. :)

I'm sure Barbour could have worked out a payment plan something along the lines of the one used to pay for the stadium retrofit and sundry other doohickies at Cal.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Wouldn't you agree that Penn State could understand he needed to be nearer to his wife, while at the same time Shoop needed to understand he did sign a legal contract and knew what he was signing.
If I'm Penn State and a coach approaches me saying it's his marriage or his job, I can't hold that against him. But, yes, he is responsible for upholding the contract.
Can't see any university saying - hey, we understand. Go be with the Mrs. and we hope it all works out for the best. And, you know, let's just waive that big clause where you owe the university thousands (I really don't know the amount) of dollars.
If this was not your meaning in the post, I'll apologize now.

OL
its an edge case. PSU has some responsibility in the matter, although it is tangential. I don't have an opinion either way. Its just one of those unfortunate things that can happen in group dynamics. (assuming what I've been told is true) I don't blame CJF and I don't blame Shoop. But I can also understand both PSU's and Shoop's position. Not knowing the day to day details, I have no opinion other than to not blame either one.

No, it's called bringing in a staff.. The guy is at Miss State, not at Penn State. If he feels Shoop and PSU coaches are his best option then he is more then allowed to take them if they wanna go. I don't see a big deal.

Reactions: m48tank and Frank3
1. Can't really blame Shoop for running away from the dumpster fire at Hee-Haw U quickly.
2. No guarantee that he would be retained by the new coach anyway and his stock, right or wrong, has to to have dropped after this last season.

Smart move imo.

Reactions: odshowtime
Moorhead about the hire:

“Our defense likely will struggle, but with my offense, we’ll be scoring a hundred points a game. Defense, shmefense.”

Reactions: Connorpozlee
Does Mississippi State have an open date on the same date?
It appears so:

Penn State
Date Opponent
Aug. 31 IDAHO
Sep. 7 BUFFALO
Sep. 14 PITTSBURGH
Sep. 21 TBA *
Sep. 28 at Maryland
Oct. 5 PURDUE
Oct. 12 at Iowa
Oct. 19 MICHIGAN
Oct. 26 at Michigan State
Nov. 2 TBA *
Nov. 9 at Minnesota
Nov. 16 INDIANA
Nov. 23 at Ohio State
Nov. 30 RUTGERS
Dec. 7 Big Ten Championship Game (Lucas Oil Stadium; Indianapolis)

* NOTE: Team will have two bye weeks.
One non-conference game to be scheduled.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-19/2019-mississippi-state-bulldogs-football-schedule.php

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT