ADVERTISEMENT

FC/OT: Anyone watch the US Open and Djokovic's historic run at the Grand Slam?

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
Was a solid match but clear that Djokovic was in his own head early and the pressure was getting to him (visibly noticeable after smashing his racquet to bits during a game). Crowd didn't seem to like Djokovic either and were clearly rooting for Medvedev. I guess I haven't been playing close attention, but was sort of stunned that Djoker is at 20 GS wins. It is unreal to me that he, Federer, and Nadal account for 60 freakin' GS wins. So, going back to 2003, when Federer won his first GS at Wimbledon (18 years!) they have won 60 out of 73 Grand Slams, with only Murray, Roddick, Wawrinka, Gaudio, Thiem, del Potro, Cilic, Safin, and Medvedev winning the rest (Murray x 3, Wawrinka x 3, everyone else x 1). Unreal. Likelihood of someone going for a GS in the same year two qualifiers reach the Women's Final will likely never happen again.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I don’t watch tennis but did catch the match point and its immediate aftermath. Djokovic was very gracious at the net, very nice to see.

Yeah, I was curious to see how he would react. Better than I would.

Was a solid match but clear that Djokovic was in his own head early and the pressure was getting to him (visibly noticeable after smashing his racquet to bits during a game). Crowd didn't seem to like Djokovic either and were clearly rooting for Medvedev. I guess I haven't been playing close attention, but was sort of stunned that Djoker is at 20 GS wins. It is unreal to me that he, Federer, and Nadal account for 60 freakin' GS wins. So, going back to 2003, when Federer won his first GS at Wimbledon (18 years!) they have won 60 out of 73 Grand Slams, with only Murray, Roddick, Wawrinka, Gaudio, Thiem, del Potro, Cilic, Safin, and Medvedev winning the rest (Murray x 3, Wawrinka x 3, everyone else x 1). Unreal. Likelihood of someone going for a GS in the same year two qualifiers reach the Women's Final will likely never happen again.
I watched an abbreviated broadcast later in the evening. Medvedev is 6-6 and moves like a cat. Awesome serve. Not only his first but also his second. At his height and length, he covers a lot of ground. I am not sure Djokovic had any chance of breaking his serve. Medvedev was in control from the first break in the first set.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I watched an abbreviated broadcast later in the evening. Medvedev is 6-6 and moves like a cat. Awesome serve. Not only his first but also his second. At his height and length, he covers a lot of ground. I am not sure Djokovic had any chance of breaking his serve. Medvedev was in control from the first break in the first set.

Tall guys typically don't have long, successful careers in tennis. The game is harder on their knees and backs; but Medvedev is in a good spot right now - Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal are all at the ends of their careers for the most part and there isn't a lot of good competition in men's tennis IMO (Thiem is really the only other serious contender IMO). He could grab a few GS wins the next couple years before the next 'great one' arrives (and I believe there will be one)...

Reactions: Obliviax
I watched, and found the shouting and other noise when Medvedev was attempting to serve to close the match to be appalling. This is the gentleman’s and ladies game of tennis, not pro wrestling. Djokavik was done at that point. I’m sure his fans (does he have any that don’t share his nationality?) we sorry that he couldn’t wrap up the in year slam, but have some respect for Medcedev and his performance.

Reactions: Midnighter2
I watched, and found the shouting and other noise when Medvedev was attempting to serve to close the match to be appalling. This is the gentleman’s and ladies game of tennis, not pro wrestling. Djokavik was done at that point. I’m sure his fans (does he have any that don’t share his nationality?) we sorry that he couldn’t wrap up the in year slam, but have some respect for Medcedev and his performance.
I thought the same. I was at the first two days of the open and there was no belligerence like there was yesterday. everyone was appreciative of seeing incredible tennis. I'm thinking it's just a few vocal minority at the big matches that ruin it. The first day of the open had the most tiebreak sets ever (over 32).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT