ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT and here I use to laugh at Dan Snyder, now Jeff Lurie is picking the Eagles QB..

The Eagles drafted Hurts because the brain trust already had doubts about Wentz. Those doubts were realized this past season. Not a surprise at all that Hurts will get a bona fide chance at being 'the guy'

Pitts at TE or a WR with the 6th pick.... Guess we have to see if the rumors of trading Ertz are true....
If the Eagles draft a TE at #6, then the Philly PD had best declare a curfew. Eagles fans will burn the city.

The Eagles drafted Hurts because the brain trust already had doubts about Wentz. Those doubts were realized this past season. Not a surprise at all that Hurts will get a bona fide chance at being 'the guy'
What brain trust? Why would they have doubts? 2019 Wentz started 16 games had a 63.9% completion average threw for over 4000 yds with 27 TD's and 7 ints. So why would they have doubts? Howie or JF out smarted them selves. IIRC Howie stated they drafted Hurts because the Eagles manufactured QB's, they would develop him and trade him for more than what they had in him. Or words to that effect. I highly doubt Doug was on board drafting him.

Wentz was injury prone. He held the ball too long in the pocket and the Eagles didn’t have an OL to protect him. Hurts was good insurance.

Last edited:
that is the new generation Iggles fan base. Those of us that have been around much longer understand that not every year we will have a super bowl run and there will be down years. We lived thru Marion Campbell, Rich Kotite, etc. Heck we are used to let downs season in and season out. The Superbowl win was fun but up until the last play I thought they were going to let us down once again. What is the ongoing joke, I want some Eagles players to be my pall bearers so when I die they can let me down one last time before I am buried!

BTW, don't break your ankles jumping off the band wagon. :cool:
Some of us real old timers even remember the dismal Joe Kuharik (spelling?) years :(

Wentz was injury prone. He held the ball too long in the pocket and the Eagles didn’t have an OL to perfect him. Hurts was good insurance.
IMO.....as last season progressed and the Eagles Oline continued its injury plagued regression, Wentz became reluctant\ shell shocked. In fact, several opposing players spoke about how much he regressed and essentially said that he was nervous In the pocket. All of that said.....I think that Hurts just may turn out to be a pleasant surprise next season. Does he have Wentz’s arm ? No....but his mobility and leadership qualities are a good equalizer . At draft position 6 there will be several top flight offensive players on the board and of course defensive stars as well. Of course...I am assuming that Howie gets his head out of his butt etc.

Doug speaks as expected, he says his relationship with Wentz wasnt that bad, it seems he did not like working for a hands on owner.....

Lurie, in January, said that Pederson didn’t necessarily “deserve” to be fired three years after winning a Super Bowl, and just a year after making the playoffs. He said that the coach’s desire to win in the short term would be at odds with the Eagles’ need to build for the long term.

“I would have loved an opportunity to really fix the season last year and get things back on track, and really turn that thing around,” Pederson said. “I understand where [Lurie] is coming from and the situation moving forward.”

There had been some belief from sources close to Pederson that he no longer wanted to coach the Eagles under the constraints of having to work with the hands-on owner. When he met with Lurie after the season, Pederson said that he wanted to promote quarterbacks coach Press Taylor to offensive coordinator, among other in-house promotions.

Lurie wanted a leaguewide search for coaches with top credentials.

Doug speaks as expected, he says his relationship with Wentz wasnt that bad, it seems he did not like working for a hands on owner.....

Lurie, in January, said that Pederson didn’t necessarily “deserve” to be fired three years after winning a Super Bowl, and just a year after making the playoffs. He said that the coach’s desire to win in the short term would be at odds with the Eagles’ need to build for the long term.

“I would have loved an opportunity to really fix the season last year and get things back on track, and really turn that thing around,” Pederson said. “I understand where [Lurie] is coming from and the situation moving forward.”

There had been some belief from sources close to Pederson that he no longer wanted to coach the Eagles under the constraints of having to work with the hands-on owner. When he met with Lurie after the season, Pederson said that he wanted to promote quarterbacks coach Press Taylor to offensive coordinator, among other in-house promotions.

oooooooh this quote scares me.... not surprised as we all knew Lurie was more hands-on, but everything i've been hearing has be thinking Al Davis or Jerry Jones, and we all know how well those organizations worked out recently. Please jeffrey.... don't go there

Reactions: sluggo72

Lurie had meetings during the season with Pederson every Tuesday to review the previous week's game. Lurie would ask a lot of questions about why plays were called in certain situations, and how analytics factored into game planning and play calling. Talk about hands-on ownership.....

Lurie had meetings during the season with Pederson every Tuesday to review the previous week's game. Lurie would ask a lot of questions about why plays were called in certain situations, and how analytics factored into game planning and play calling. Talk about hands-on ownership.....
That’s Dan Snyder’s SOP, just so you know. It might be SOP throughout the league, though, no idea.

That’s Dan Snyder’s SOP, just so you know. It might be SOP throughout the league, though, no idea.
From watching Hard Knocks, it appears it might happen more than we know. FWIW in Hard Knocks it seemed they only listened Its when they speak up, there’s a problem. IMO

Reactions: LionJim
I am not a big fan of Marcus Hayes writings but I found this interesting ....on how Carson Wentz saved everybody's job and JL interference...

Dysfunction and hubris has been the cornerstone of Jeffrey Lurie’s front offices in the 26 years that he has owned the Eagles. This dynamic supplies endless tales of mismanagement, bad decisions, and showdowns. Here’s one more.

According to two sources no longer with the team, Lurie was convinced that offensive coordinator Frank Reich should be fired after the 2016 season. Reich and head coach Doug Pederson, who called the plays, managed only the 22nd-ranked offense, with the 24th-ranked passing attack. Lurie found that unacceptable, even with rookie quarterback Carson Wentz running the offense.

In the week following the 7-9 season, Lurie had made up his mind to order Pederson to fire Reich and promote quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. If Pederson refused, Pederson would be fired, too. That week, Lurie had spent three hours meeting with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, a former head coach, and considered Schwartz a ready replacement if he fired Pederson.

It never came to that.

I wouldn't jump off the bridge just yet.
Dan Snyder has 22 years of malfeasance under his belt.
Lurie has proven himself to be among the most competent owners in the league in his 26 years. He has pretty much left football decisions to football people.
Howie is still there of course, but there is an entirely new coaching staff.

This isn't Al Davis making the decision to draft an average WR from UMD in the top 5 because he ran a 4.2 at the combine. This is bigger picture. Hurts looked competent last year as a rookie and the Eagles have a lot of needs at core positions. Hurts is also making 1.5M/yr and the eagles have a TON of dead money to contend with. At this point, the Eagles will be better served if they can focus on building a young core on the lines and better protecting the QB vs stuffing the QB room and throwing them to the wolves again. With a new staff, I think they would lean to bringing in a new QB, whether it is best or not.

Time will tell. Maybe Lurie is ageing and growing less patient, but this is one incident against 26 years of competent ownership. If it continues, I will be at the head of the line criticizing him, but I don't think it's warranted just yet.
Al Davis and the Raiders had a much, much better overall track record than the Eagles over the past ~ 60 years. David was a football guy and a great one.

Al Davis and the Raiders had a much, much better overall track record than the Eagles over the past ~ 60 years. David was a football guy and a great one.
Whatever track record you're referring to from back before John Madden was in broadcasting, that was not the case in the final 25+ years of Al Davis' ownership. He was the poster child for bad decisions and meddling from the owner's box.
In his last 25 years of ownership, the raiders had 7 winning seasons and only 5 with 10+ wins.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of Marcus Hayes writings but I found this interesting ....on how Carson Wentz saved everybody's job and JL interference...

Dysfunction and hubris has been the cornerstone of Jeffrey Lurie’s front offices in the 26 years that he has owned the Eagles. This dynamic supplies endless tales of mismanagement, bad decisions, and showdowns. Here’s one more.

According to two sources no longer with the team, Lurie was convinced that offensive coordinator Frank Reich should be fired after the 2016 season. Reich and head coach Doug Pederson, who called the plays, managed only the 22nd-ranked offense, with the 24th-ranked passing attack. Lurie found that unacceptable, even with rookie quarterback Carson Wentz running the offense.

In the week following the 7-9 season, Lurie had made up his mind to order Pederson to fire Reich and promote quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo. If Pederson refused, Pederson would be fired, too. That week, Lurie had spent three hours meeting with defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, a former head coach, and considered Schwartz a ready replacement if he fired Pederson.

It never came to that.
Oh boy. The sewage just continues to spill out. The Super Bowl was lightning in a bottle, but you have some big egos who all want to believe it was their doing.

We’ll see how the next couple of years go. There’s a chance to rebuild if they don’t blow it.

Oh boy. The sewage just continues to spill out. The Super Bowl was lightning in a bottle, but you have some big egos who all want to believe it was their doing.

We’ll see how the next couple of years go. There’s a chance to rebuild if they don’t blow it.

Interesting for sure... I had heard and read numerous reports and news articles the opposite of what Hayes wrote. Reich prepared Wentz mentally for pro football and was able to help him with the mind set it took to be a qb in the NFL. It was DiFillippo the qb coach who was a stickler on qb mechanics. He never let Wentz get away with the tiniest of flaws. In fact read there was some friction between the two since DiFillippo was militant about steps and mechanics and rode Wentz so hard at times they argued openly. Hard to tell which is true as both coaches left the same time and Wentz's fall off was drastic. Will be interesting to see how Reich rebuilts Wentz mentally as well as mechanically.

Interesting for sure... I had heard and read numerous reports and news articles the opposite of what Hayes wrote. Reich prepared Wentz mentally for pro football and was able to help him with the mind set it took to be a qb in the NFL. It was DiFillippo the qb coach who was a stickler on qb mechanics. He never let Wentz get away with the tiniest of flaws. In fact read there was some friction between the two since DiFillippo was militant about steps and mechanics and rode Wentz so hard at times they argued openly. Hard to tell which is true as both coaches left the same time and Wentz's fall off was drastic. Will be interesting to see how Reich rebuilts Wentz mentally as well as mechanically.
I wonder if Flip winds up in Indy at some point. You can't argue with the results Wentz produced in 2017. And if the three of them are required to get there, then why not get the band back together?

An earlier post brought up Al Davis and his poor results in the final 25 years of his life. I'm hoping that Lurie isn't headed down a similar path after the championship.

Reactions: sluggo72 and bwifan
I wonder if Flip winds up in Indy at some point. You can't argue with the results Wentz produced in 2017. And if the three of them are required to get there, then why not get the band back together?

An earlier post brought up Al Davis and his poor results in the final 25 years of his life. I'm hoping that Lurie isn't headed down a similar path after the championship.

Exactly I also call it the Jerry Jones syndrome... where you believe the press clippings at how great you are and meddling gets worse and worse every year. Ever since Jerry basically took over the draft that team has fallen deeper and deeper its only been the last couple of years they have shown growth as Jerry seems to have taken a lesser role in the personnel on the team. Lurie scares me if he keeps meddling more and more with this team.

Exactly I also call it the Jerry Jones syndrome... where you believe the press clippings at how great you are and meddling gets worse and worse every year. Ever since Jerry basically took over the draft that team has fallen deeper and deeper its only been the last couple of years they have shown growth as Jerry seems to have taken a lesser role in the personnel on the team. Lurie scares me if he keeps meddling more and more with this team.
Not to defend Jerry, but at least he played the game at a high level. Lurie doesn’t have that same experience.

Many people who played pro sports at high levels including many in the Hall of Fame but are horrible coaches and GM's. In fact its usually the guys with less talent and hard workers that make better coaches and GM's.
This premise would make a good thread.

Ted Williams was a very good manager for the Washington Senators, though.

I think that It will eventually come out that Carson’s grandfather, Prince Philip, was the one who helped him with his footwork as well as his ability to see downfield when being blitzed. Let’s give Carson time to grieve and fix his relationship with his brother and see how this season plays out!

Reactions: WestSideLion
Many people who played pro sports at high levels including many in the Hall of Fame but are horrible coaches and GM's. In fact its usually the guys with less talent and hard workers that make better coaches and GM's.
As a former movie producer, I don't think Jeff Lurie can judge football talent. But hey, he's the owner and can do whatever he wants, even employ an army of scouts to assess college players and ignore their draft recommendations in favor of his own choices.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT