ADVERTISEMENT

fc OT and here I use to laugh at Dan Snyder, now Jeff Lurie is picking the Eagles QB..

sluggo72

Aug 31, 2006

Lurie has instructed the team’s decision-makers to prioritize making Hurts successful in 2021, as opposed to creating a quarterback competition, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Mortensen also said that new Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni “understands that what the owner wants, the owner gets.”

Last month, Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported that the Eagles were likely to bring in competition for Hurts. But it sure sounds like anyone the Eagles bring in will be there to back Hurts up, not to compete with him for the starting job.

I always thought the WTF's would be a real threat as long as Snyder was around. Well Eagles fans it looks like we have our own Dan Snyder!! I mean how bad will it get??

Lurie has instructed the team’s decision-makers to prioritize making Hurts successful in 2021, as opposed to creating a quarterback competition, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

Mortensen also said that new Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni “understands that what the owner wants, the owner gets.”

Last month, Mortensen and Adam Schefter reported that the Eagles were likely to bring in competition for Hurts. But it sure sounds like anyone the Eagles bring in will be there to back Hurts up, not to compete with him for the starting job.

I always thought the WTF's would be a real threat as long as Snyder was around. Well Eagles fans it looks like we have our own Dan Snyder!! I mean how bad will it get??

I wouldn't jump off the bridge just yet.
Dan Snyder has 22 years of malfeasance under his belt.
Lurie has proven himself to be among the most competent owners in the league in his 26 years. He has pretty much left football decisions to football people.
Howie is still there of course, but there is an entirely new coaching staff.

This isn't Al Davis making the decision to draft an average WR from UMD in the top 5 because he ran a 4.2 at the combine. This is bigger picture. Hurts looked competent last year as a rookie and the Eagles have a lot of needs at core positions. Hurts is also making 1.5M/yr and the eagles have a TON of dead money to contend with. At this point, the Eagles will be better served if they can focus on building a young core on the lines and better protecting the QB vs stuffing the QB room and throwing them to the wolves again. With a new staff, I think they would lean to bringing in a new QB, whether it is best or not.

Time will tell. Maybe Lurie is ageing and growing less patient, but this is one incident against 26 years of competent ownership. If it continues, I will be at the head of the line criticizing him, but I don't think it's warranted just yet.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Lurie seems to be getting more and more involved with players.
that is not good.
Give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.......

Reactions: psu00 and LionJim
At least in pro football the owner has his money invested and is willing to give you a pretty fair $$$ to take his "advice."
Try being a high school coach, struggling to make ends meet......and having a school board member trying to pull your strings......

I wouldn't jump off the bridge just yet.
Dan Snyder has 22 years of malfeasance under his belt.
Lurie has proven himself to be among the most competent owners in the league in his 26 years. He has pretty much left football decisions to football people.
Howie is still there of course, but there is an entirely new coaching staff.

This isn't Al Davis making the decision to draft an average WR from UMD in the top 5 because he ran a 4.2 at the combine. This is bigger picture. Hurts looked competent last year as a rookie and the Eagles have a lot of needs at core positions. Hurts is also making 1.5M/yr and the eagles have a TON of dead money to contend with. At this point, the Eagles will be better served if they can focus on building a young core on the lines and better protecting the QB vs stuffing the QB room and throwing them to the wolves again. With a new staff, I think they would lean to bringing in a new QB, whether it is best or not.

Time will tell. Maybe Lurie is ageing and growing less patient, but this is one incident against 26 years of competent ownership. If it continues, I will be at the head of the line criticizing him, but I don't think it's warranted just yet.

Mike Mamula says hi.

Mike Mamula says hi.
The Eagles have been far better than not under Lurie. They’ve made the playoffs more than half the time, won the NFC East a bunch, made the Super Bowl twice, winning it in Feb 2018.

That’s not Dan Snyder-level incompetence. Is it possible that Lurie is becoming more meddlesome and detrimental? Of course it’s possible, but his nearly three-decade body of work does not suggest it.

Because everything we hear/read in the media is true right? I refused to get outraged about anything in the media anymore until it is proven. I guess the sports media needs to make shit up to make the Meghan and Harry news go away. :rolleyes:Looking forward to football season.

The Eagles have been far better than not under Lurie. They’ve made the playoffs more than half the time, won the NFC East a bunch, made the Super Bowl twice, winning it in Feb 2018.

That’s not Dan Snyder-level incompetence. Is it possible that Lurie is becoming more meddlesome and detrimental? Of course it’s possible, but his nearly three-decade body of work does not suggest it.
while I agree things have been pretty good, I just see him trying to get more and more involved, and not let his football people do their work. I can't believe the BS reason he gave for firing Doug. I can't believe someone thought it would be a good idea to take a QB in the second round last year (and I do not believe that person's name was Doug) . Coming our publicly and saying their is no QB competition might be the best way to go then trying to run some retread thru there, but I would rather hear that from the HC then the owner.

I think he was letting the world know Howie wasn't picking a QB at number 6. Draft has 4 receiver options that will greatly improve the team and the efficiency of any future QB........

Reactions: WestSideLion
while I agree things have been pretty good, I just see him trying to get more and more involved, and not let his football people do their work. I can't believe the BS reason he gave for firing Doug. I can't believe someone thought it would be a good idea to take a QB in the second round last year (and I do not believe that person's name was Doug) . Coming our publicly and saying their is no QB competition might be the best way to go then trying to run some retread thru there, but I would rather hear that from the HC then the owner.
I am sure there is more we don’t know about why Doug was let go. Since both he and Wentz are now gone, I suspect Lurie saw a lot of behavior he didn’t like from both parties and decided it was best to hit reset.

While Doug will forever be a Philly legend, if it’s true that he went most of the season without speaking to Wentz, then I can see why Lurie fired him. You just can’t have a head coach who is so dig in that he’s unwilling to engage with a player.

It’s a new world in the NFL. Players now have most of the leverage.

Having the choice between Leonard Tose, Norman Braman, or Jeffrie Laurie, I would choose Laurie every time! These have been the Eagle's owners over my life time and Laurie has been the most successful of them all. For those of us that suffered thru the Norman "I don't give a f***" Braman years, Jeff Laurie has been a great owner!!! I have faith in Laurie that he is trying his doing what he can to win more superbowls. The team was broken last year for one reason or another and he seems to be trying to fix it. If nothing changed and the coaching staff and players were all still in place then I would be worried.

Having the choice between Leonard Tose, Norman Braman, or Jeffrie Laurie, I would choose Laurie every time! These have been the Eagle's owners over my life time and Laurie has been the most successful of them all. For those of us that suffered thru the Norman "I don't give a f***" Braman years, Jeff Laurie has been a great owner!!! I have faith in Laurie that he is trying his doing what he can to win more superbowls. The team was broken last year for one reason or another and he seems to be trying to fix it. If nothing changed and the coaching staff and players were all still in place then I would be worried.

This is true. The only good thing to come out of the Norman Braman years was Vince Papale

I am sure there is more we don’t know about why Doug was let go. Since both he and Wentz are now gone, I suspect Lurie saw a lot of behavior he didn’t like from both parties and decided it was best to hit reset.

While Doug will forever be a Philly legend, if it’s true that he went most of the season without speaking to Wentz, then I can see why Lurie fired him. You just can’t have a head coach who is so dig in that he’s unwilling to engage with a player.

I dont buy they didn't speak.

WSL - I agree with one exception - I think it’s the QBs who have the leverage. For now, at least.

I still laugh at Dan Snyder. It’s based on muscle memory.

Reactions: sluggo72
LMS hits again! Laurie needs to take 2 big, or in his case, 5 steps back from trying to be Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder light!

Al Davis has been dead how long?

Your logic is flawed.
Al Davis perpetually meddled. The reference is sound

Lurie has been the owner for 26 years. You point to one example 25 years ago to suggest Lurie is the same? No. Further, I don't recall any suggestion that it was Lurie that pushed or mandated the Mamula pick against the wishes of football people.

Your logic is flawed.
Al Davis perpetually meddled. The reference is sound

Lurie has been the owner for 26 years. You point to one example 25 years ago to suggest Lurie is the same? No. Further, I don't recall any suggestion that it was Lurie that pushed or mandated the Mamula pick against the wishes of football people.
Agreed. Pretty sure that was Ray’s pick.

Reactions: LionJim
Lurie definitely has a problem and it is his strange loyalty to one of the worst GMs in sports.

Howie is definitely perplexing at times, but honest question for you. Here is a list of Howie's positions with the Eagles over the last 21 years. The birds had the highest winning % in the NFL during the Reid years. Chip then blew it up, but 2 years after his firing they win a superbowl.
How do you account for the overall success of the Eagles while he has held senior positions if he is so incompetent? Truly an honest question. I don't have a firm opinion on the subject.

• Philadelphia Eagles (20002002) Salary cap staff counsel
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20032005) Director of football administration
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20062007) Vice president of football administration
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20082009) Vice president of player personnel
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20102014) General manager
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20152018) Executive vice president of football operations
  • Philadelphia Eagles (2019−present) Executive vice president/general manager

Howie is definitely perplexing at times, but honest question for you. Here is a list of Howie's positions with the Eagles over the last 21 years. The birds had the highest winning % in the NFL during the Reid years. Chip then blew it up, but 2 years after his firing they win a superbowl.
How do you account for the overall success of the Eagles while he has held senior positions if he is so incompetent? Truly an honest question. I don't have a firm opinion on the subject.

• Philadelphia Eagles (20002002) Salary cap staff counsel
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20032005) Director of football administration
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20062007) Vice president of football administration
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20082009) Vice president of player personnel
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20102014) General manager
  • Philadelphia Eagles (20152018) Executive vice president of football operations
  • Philadelphia Eagles (2019−present) Executive vice president/general manager
Any objective review of the Eagles this century would say they’ve been a strong success.

Keep in mind that Lurie has effectively “rebuilt” three times. He hired Reid in 1999 and that was a resounding success story...the best stretch in franchise history.

He hired Chip in 2013(?). That led to a playoff appearance, another 10-win season without the playoffs and then the wheels fell off.

He hired Pederson in 2016 and made three playoff appearances with a Super Bow win.

Each time the team made the playoffs. The last time they won a title.

It’s hard to argue that Lurie (and Howie to an extent) is clueless in building and running a successful franchise. I’m sure he’d have loved more longevity from Doug, but it had run its course.

Major dysfunction within that franchise. At first it was reported Wentz went to upper mgmt about Pederson and got him fired. Then they get absolutely fleeced on a trade for Wentz, then they are drafting a QB, and now Lurie wants to go with Hurts.

Major headache trying to figure it out...

Any objective review of the Eagles this century would say they’ve been a strong success.

Keep in mind that Lurie has effectively “rebuilt” three times. He hired Reid in 1999 and that was a resounding success story...the best stretch in franchise history.

He hired Chip in 2013(?). That led to a playoff appearance, another 10-win season without the playoffs and then the wheels fell off.

He hired Pederson in 2016 and made three playoff appearances with a Super Bow win.

Each time the team made the playoffs. The last time they won a title.

It’s hard to argue that Lurie (and Howie to an extent) is clueless in building and running a successful franchise. I’m sure he’d have loved more longevity from Doug, but it had run its course.
I agree with everything you say. I just worry this time it seems they didnt have much of a plan to handle what happened. That said, the last time I think they had a plan, bringing in Chip didnt work out so well. The thing I think they did right with Chip was, cutting him loose early. Another year and they might not have recovered. I thought they would hire Doug because he was from the AR/Eagle tree. Now I am not sure. I think they got rid of the wrong QB, (I would have traded Hurts) and I would have kept Doug. Hoped LJ and BB could be close to what they were, drafted a WR. fixed the D with the rest of the draft, and FA and went on. but we will see!!

Major dysfunction within that franchise. At first it was reported Wentz went to upper mgmt about Pederson and got him fired. Then they get absolutely fleeced on a trade for Wentz, then they are drafting a QB, and now Lurie wants to go with Hurts.

Major headache trying to figure it out...
I’m a lifelong WFT fan and I understand major dysfunction. The Eagles aren’t there yet.

Reactions: heckmans
I’m a lifelong WFT fan and I understand major dysfunction. The Eagles aren’t there yet.

As an Eagle fan who has been in the DMV for 22 years, I went from derision to pity watching the fan base believe a superbowl run was possible EVERY year to not really caring about the team.

As an Eagle fan who has been in the DMV for 22 years, I went from derision to pity watching the fan base believe a superbowl run was possible EVERY year to not really caring about the team.

that is the new generation Iggles fan base. Those of us that have been around much longer understand that not every year we will have a super bowl run and there will be down years. We lived thru Marion Campbell, Rich Kotite, etc. Heck we are used to let downs season in and season out. The Superbowl win was fun but up until the last play I thought they were going to let us down once again. What is the ongoing joke, I want some Eagles players to be my pall bearers so when I die they can let me down one last time before I am buried!

BTW, don't break your ankles jumping off the band wagon. :cool:

Just throwing this out there. There are several Jewish men - Ross (Dolphins), Lurie (Eagles), Kraft (Patriots), or former owners -Tose, Bramen, or coaches or GMs like Roseman, or Marv Levy involved in the NFL. There are probably many others I don’t know about. Do they suffer in a public relations sense from the belief that since they are not former players, that they lack the competence to perform their jobs. Put another way, do people believe that you have to be a former player, or at least a large male, to be a good owner, coach, or GM? In the same way that some people seem unwilling to accept that a lesbian can not be a competent college AD, do Howie, as he is called, and Lurie not get a fair shake from the “public” because of their religion and physical stature? If Bill Bergey was the Eagles GM, would he suffer the same perception? I don’t know the answer to this question but was curious about what others think. Ed Snider, former Flyers owner seemed to be revered by the fans and the public. There was certainly no bias there due to him being Jewish and not a former player.

BTW I was once naked in a hot tub with Bill Bergey, but that’s a long story. Let’s just say the water level rose when he submerged in the tub!

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there. There are several Jewish men - Ross (Dolphins), Lurie (Eagles), Kraft (Patriots), or former owners -Tose, Bramen, or coaches or GMs like Roseman, or Marv Levy involved in the NFL. There are probably many others I don’t know about. Do they suffer in a public relations sense from the belief that since they are not former players, that they lack the competence to perform their jobs. Put another way, do people believe that you have to be a former player, or at least a large male, to be a good owner, coach, or GM? In the same way that some people seem unwilling to accept that a lesbian can not be a competent college AD, do Howie, as he is called, and Lurie not get a fair shake from the “public” because of their religion and physical stature? If Bill Bergey was the Eagles GM, would he suffer the same perception? I don’t know the answer to this question but was curious about what others think.

BTW I was once naked in a hot tub with Bill Bergey, but that’s a long story. Let’s just say the water level rose when he submerged in the tub!
you are correct Bill Bergey is a large man, even in street clothes but that is for another day. The reason the owners get grief is because they not trained in football. Nothing to go with religion. Look no further than Jerry Jones, for years he got it, because he's an oil man not a football man. Marv never got grief because of his religion, just not winning a super bowl. Marc Testman the same way. Howie at least was trained in football, somebody posted his resume earlier in the thread. He did work his way up. Howie gets it for picks like Hurts in the second round when you just gave your QB $130 mil contract. I mean WTF. There will always be a debate between players and non players. There will be a debate between players in the NFL and Non NFLers. Big Red never played in the NFL, but he made his bones otherwise. When you win all this other 'stuff' is forgotten. Doesnt matter how big you are, Jimmy Johnson, what religion you are , if you win people will want to play for you. Right Bill?
Why was Matt Millen at crappy GM while Ossie Newsome a great one? Wins and losses baby, nothing to do with their playing days.

The Eagles are a rebuilding project. Maybe Lurie is playing the longer game. Nobody is going to light it up behind the existing OL- so its premature to draft a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT