ADVERTISEMENT

FC: No more Thon canning?

Yes. It has been phased out with this weekend being the last. Driven by the latest accident with loss of life on a return trip home from a canning weekend several years ago in/around Philadelphia. I don't think it's the right move, but there are multiple sides to this story. I hate to see this go away as my kids just had wonderful experiences canning weekends, plus it enables the everyday person to contribute and see the good our kids are doing for others.

Reactions: psu1969a
Dropped some cash in a can likely for the last time this morning (unless I get hit up again this weekend).

Yes. It has been phased out with this weekend being the last. Driven by the latest accident with loss of life on a return trip home from a canning weekend several years ago in/around Philadelphia. I don't think it's the right move, but there are multiple sides to this story. I hate to see this go away as my kids just had wonderful experiences canning weekends, plus it enables the everyday person to contribute and see the good our kids are doing for others.

I believe the canning process was a positive activity for the students involved. Injury/deaths are tragic in any endeavor. Maybe better training and/or common sense on part of students involved is all that was needed.

I believe the canning process was a positive activity for the students involved. Injury/deaths are tragic in any endeavor. Maybe better training and/or common sense on part of students involved is all that was needed.

The accident happened on the turnpike as students were returning back to campus from a weekend of canning in the philly area. This type of accident could and does happen to kids returning to schools after holiday breaks, start/end of school year, etc.

Reactions: psu2016
The accident happened on the turnpike as students were returning back to campus from a weekend of canning in the philly area. This type of accident could and does happen to kids returning to schools after holiday breaks, start/end of school year, etc.

I know. I donated to these students while in the Philly area that Saturday.

Agreed. This was a school sponsored acrivity though, so a bit different than students coming to or going from school on break, at the end of the school year, etc. I think Penn State was most likely concerned about students arranging their own transportation for a school related activity and potential lawsuits. Kind of sad we live in such a litigious society that it effects philanthropic activities.

Canning is illegal in Maryland. Not related to Thon, but there were several accidents involving people canning for various charities. There were also complaints from drivers about "aggressive canning". Despite it being illegal I still see canning from time to time.

Just dropped a few bucks in a can at a dunkin donuts. They were set up at the end of several drive-thru's nearby. Gave'em a We Are, but no response from them; hoping it's b/c they're branch campus kids who don't get it yet.

My daughter is in the Doylestown area today Canning for Thon. If you see her, drop a few hundred in their can.......Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT