ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Matt Rhule: Pros and Cons

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
There are a fair number of people on the board who, if they had the power to do so, would replace CJF with Matt Rhule today. For some, he is by far the top choice. His coaching record to this point is:

Matt Ruhle
Career: NFL: 8–15 (.348)
NCAA: 47–43 (.522)
Bowls: 1–2 (.333)

His Baylor teams never defeated a ranked team. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a good choice, just that is not based on his coaching record to date. What is the best argument for making Matt Rhule the next head coach at PSU?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
There are a fair number of people on the board who, if they had the power to do so, would replace CJF with Matt Rhule today. For some, he is by far the top choice. His coaching record to this point is:

Matt Ruhle
Career: NFL: 8–15 (.348)
NCAA: 47–43 (.522)
Bowls: 1–2 (.333)

His Baylor teams never defeated a ranked team. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a good choice, just that is not based on his coaching record to date. What is the best argument for making Matt Rhule the next head coach at PSU?

You would think the ‘best’ argument is that we wouldn’t have to worry about him being on every open coaching job candidate list and that he would be a stabilizing force from that perspective. But, could say the same for JH and Michigan - doesn’t seem to help. Anyway - he’d obviously recruit better at Penn State than at BU and Temple and kids love an NFL pedigree. He’s a good ‘coach’ who seems to be actively involved in the game. Baylor and Temple aren’t great places for football (Temple is maybe the most difficult job in college football) and he had to deal with the fallout of scandal at BU.

I don’t know that he’s an upgrade from Franklin whose annual flirt with other programs is tiring and actively being used against him in recruiting. I’m about 50/50 that Allar actually signs with us. Me coaches are a crapshoot but Rhule ticks a lot of boxes. I don’t see him coming here though.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Rhule has built teams and moved on prior to knowing how much higher he could take those teams. You can say his overall record is 47-43 as a college coach. And you’d be accurate. Or you could point out that his first year at Temple his team went 2-10. Then their record improved each of his remaining three seasons there (6-6, 10-4, 10-3). And then point out that his first season at Baylor was 1-11 (following sanctions) but his next two also improved to 7-6 then 11-3.

So his record in years one and two is 16-33 but years three and four (he’s never been anywhere more than four years) is 31-10.

Does this make him much different Franklin bailing on Vanderbilt when his stock was high?

The only difference I can see is that he went straight to the NFL after one good season at Baylor

Take away the fact that he went to Penn State. Would you be super excited to get the former coach of Temple and Baylor?
QI don’t know. Did you read the second half of the sentence you quoted?

Does this make him much different Franklin bailing on Vanderbilt when his stock was high?

The only difference I can see is that he went straight to the NFL after one good season at Baylor

Take away the fact that he went to Penn State. Would you be super excited to get the former coach of Temple and Baylor?
Many are excited to see a new direction. Rhule seems to be as good as any to provide this direction. I’d be willing to bet we’d have a running game that can net 50 yards per game. And manage the clock at a high school level.

Rhule has built teams and moved on prior to knowing how much higher he could take those teams. You can say his overall record is 47-43 as a college coach. And you’d be accurate. Or you could point out that his first year at Temple his team went 2-10. Then their record improved each of his remaining three seasons there (6-6, 10-4, 10-3). And then point out that his first season at Baylor was 1-11 (following sanctions) but his next two also improved to 7-6 then 11-3.

So his record in years one and two is 16-33 but years three and four (he’s never been anywhere more than four years) is 31-10.
The statement in parentheses in the last sentence is a huge con.

Many are excited to see a new direction. Rhule seems to be as good as any to provide this direction. I’d be willing to bet we’d have a running game that can net 50 yards per game. And manage the clock at a high school level.
Or Saban would be awesome too, but we’re not getting either of them.

Or Saban would be awesome too, but we’re not getting either of them.
Of course not on Saban…but time will tell on Rhule. And many other possibilities that can establish toughness so we don’t get the proverbial sand kicked in our faces any more.

I'm saying no, they wouldn't.

Isn't the idea to get rid of Franklin first and then worry about everything else later??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT