ADVERTISEMENT

FC: Judge gives NCAA permission to file new response in Paterno lawsuit(updated w/ new NCAA filing)

just so I understand the michigan math here

if I kick michnit in the left nut, but it's his ONLY nut (hey prove to me it is not! show me some medical evidence from 7 hospitals that he does, in fact, possess BOTH testicles!!)

have I kicked him in one nut? some nut? some of his nuts?? all his nuts?? :rolleyes:

just so I understand the michigan math here

if I kick michnit in the left nut, but it's his ONLY nut (hey prove to me it is not! show me some medical evidence from 7 hospitals that he does, in fact, possess BOTH testicles!!)

have I kicked him in one nut? some nut? some of his nuts?? all his nuts?? :rolleyes:

All except "some of his nuts" :)

I think some of your claims above are a bit of a stretch (Tom Bradley, Larry Johnson and the unnamed-thus-far John Thomas have definitely been at equal-level jobs post-PSU), but fine, I'll play along. I'll speculate that jobs that Jay was considered for prior to July 2012, he is no longer being considered for.

Now let's take a look at Jay's lawsuit. Let's look specifically at this quote: Before the execution of the consent decree, Jay Paterno was a top candidate for open head coaching positions at comparable universities."

The challenge to Jay --- name those schools. Name what schools, prior to July 2012, where Jay Paterno was a "top candidate for an open head coaching position."

If you read the NCAA's court-filing earlier this week, the NCAA called Jay out themselves on this specific claim (reference paragraph 147 in the link at the very beginning of this thread).

OK Jay --- you were once a top candidate for open head coaching positions, and now the likes of UConn, BC, James Madison and Colorado won't even interview you? Go prove that. Go prove that you were "a coach in demand" in the pre-July 2012 era.
John Thomas does not have an equal job, he's not even listed on the FB site as being a S & C for FB. http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061210aaa.html So if you are not a S & C for FB, and you were, you have taken a step down. S & C for ex, track, aint the same as S & C for FB. I said LJ made a lateral move, and don't forget TB spent 2 yrs out of the game before a lawyer read the Freeh report twice, before he was considered, and at that time, he took a big step down ( DC to DL is a huge step down, all the other titles were noise)

well I guess Jay has to subpoena those schools and ask them, all one of them has to say is, 'we considered Jay, but due to things at PSU we crossed him off our list'. Or heck even if they him and haw about it, 'well nothing really specific, but well you know at that time...' Game over. That's all I'd need.

How about a newspaper article or internet article on Jay as a head coach candidate? Shoot, that would suffice as well.

Big-time college football these days, there's all kinds of speculation when a coaching position comes open. People write articles, speculate, et cetera, et cetera.

I put in the effort and just did a google search. Jay Paterno head coaching candidate. The only thing I could find was him being considered for the Toledo job in December 2000.

http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2000/12/08/Northern-Iowa-AD-lauds-UT-coach-candidate.html

Now maybe this is what Jay is referring to? Shoot, Toledo did beat us that year, so I guess they would be a "comparable university."

I'd be interested in seeing other internet links and/or articles ........ if they exist.

What if I have eaten less than one cookie? Two-thirds of a cookie?

Isn't that a case of eating "some" of the 10 cookies? So "some" covers numbers less than 1, AND greater than 1, but not the number 1 itself?

Seriously, I hope Jay has a better argument than a Bill-Clinton-esque argument about the word "some." Because that doesn't seem to be a winning argument.

tumblr_inline_mziq22rPwR1rzeh4e.gif

How about a newspaper article or internet article on Jay as a head coach candidate? Shoot, that would suffice as well.

Big-time college football these days, there's all kinds of speculation when a coaching position comes open. People write articles, speculate, et cetera, et cetera.

I put in the effort and just did a google search. Jay Paterno head coaching candidate. The only thing I could find was him being considered for the Toledo job in December 2000.

http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2000/12/08/Northern-Iowa-AD-lauds-UT-coach-candidate.html

Now maybe this is what Jay is referring to? Shoot, Toledo did beat us that year, so I guess they would be a "comparable university."

I'd be interested in seeing other internet links and/or articles ........ if they exist.
Actually Jay's name was mentioned as a HC candidate here at Marshall at one time. Most of the time this stuff is just made up, or an agent will call the local newspaper to try to pump up his guy. (Newspaper writers are lazy so if somebody writes a story for them, it just means more time for them to drink!!) So that speculation means nothing.

here's one from JMU http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=3450, if you want can add more as I find them. This one took all of 30 seconds

Isn't that a case of eating "some" of the 10 cookies? So "some" covers numbers less than 1, AND greater than 1, but not the number 1 itself?

Seriously, I hope Jay has a better argument than a Bill-Clinton-esque argument about the word "some." Because that doesn't seem to be a winning argument.

how about this one about Jay going to Yale as HFC?? http://www.yurasko.net/wfy/2011/12/tom-williams-out-at-yale-could-jay-paterno-be-a-candidate.html
yes the JMU one was as an asst, but if you cant even get a sniff as an asst, how could you has a HC?? All the article talks about is the stink.

here's one from JMU http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=3450, if you want can add more as I find them. This one took all of 30 seconds

Not to be a jerk, but if you're going to "add more as you find them", please confirm they're actually speculating about JayPa as a head coach. That's Jay's claim in the lawsuit--- he was a Head Coach candidate. That article was talking/speculating about JayPa as a QB Coach --- NOT as Head Coach.

JMU had Mickey Mathews as Head Coach in January 2012 and he remained there until his December 2013 firing. JMU wasn't in the market for a Head Coach at the time of this article --- as opposed to my article, where there is proof Jay specifically put his name into the hat for the then-open Head Coaching position at Toledo.

how about this one about Jay going to Yale as HFC?? http://www.yurasko.net/wfy/2011/12/tom-williams-out-at-yale-could-jay-paterno-be-a-candidate.html
yes the JMU one was as an asst, but if you cant even get a sniff as an asst, how could you has a HC?? All the article talks about is the stink.

Jay is the one who used the phrase "comparable university" in his lawsuit.

If Jay is prepared to use the "meaning of the word some" argument, he better be prepared for equal levels of precision as involves the way HE words things.

So, head football coach at Yale is "comparable" to head football coach at Penn State? I must disagree.

Much like the JMU article, I'm throwing this one out too.

Last edited:
Jay is the one who used the phrase "comparable university" in his lawsuit.

If Jay is prepared to use the "meaning of the word some" argument, he better be prepared for equal levels of precision as involves the way HE words things.

So, head football coach at Yale is "comparable" to head football coach at Penn State? I must disagree.

Much like the JMU article, I'm throwing this one out too.
Yale is not a division 1 university?? They play in the FCS of division 1 just like JMU, and Toledo for that matter.

Last edited:
Yale is not a division 1 university?? They play in the FCS of division 1 just like JMU.

Do we want to go into word-smithing again?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comparable

Well, I guess by definition 3, Yale football is "comparable" to Penn State football. They are "similar" in that they both compete at the Division 1 level!

How about another school. Lock Haven football is "comparable" to Penn State football. They are "similar" in that they both play their home games in Central Pennsylvania!

Of course, there are many MORE ways in which Penn State football is DIS-similar to Yale football and Lock Haven football.

But, fair enough ---- if you want to ignore those dis-similarities and want to argue that Yale is a "comparable university" to Penn State ----- such is your right. I think that's a bad argument.

Working against Jay is the fact that the majority of our 2011 assistant coaches are currently working in the football field. E.g., many people did not take the wording in the Consent Decree and think "Coach Johnson/Vanderlinden/Bradley/et cetera misbehaved as regards Sandusky."

Perhaps...but none of the coaches you listed have the last name "Paterno". And Joe "Paterno" was specifically listed in the CD. That in itself implies that if there was a cover up orchestrated by Joe his son, who was on his coaching staff, would be part of the "some coaches" statement in the CD. Forget about the coaching jobs, before the CD Jay would have at least gotten some work in broadcasting, in game analyst, etc....but after the CD he couldn't even sniff a job from anyone in coaching or broadcasting. It will be quite easy for Wick and team to show this.

Reactions: simons96

Well, I guess by definition 3, Yale football is "comparable" to Penn State football. They are "similar" in that they both compete at the Division 1 level!

How about another school. Lock Haven football is "comparable" to Penn State football. They are "similar" in that they both play their home games in Central Pennsylvania!

Of course, there are many MORE ways in which Penn State football is DIS-similar to Yale football and Lock Haven football.

But, fair enough ---- if you want to ignore those dis-similarities and want to argue that Yale is a "comparable university" to Penn State ----- such is your right. I think that's a bad argument.
Lock Haven does not play in Division 1, Yale does. Now who is word smithing? You asked if there was even 1 article somewhere someplace mentioning Jay as a candidate to be HFC, and I showed you 1. Heck the JMU story actually proves his point, he was so smeared (and that's why the editor went back and said this was all BS) he couldn't even get a sniff for an assistant job, let alone HC. Jay applied to be HFC at PSU along with Bradley, why didn't PSU hire either of them?? Because they weren't qualified?? they hired a guy who was never a HC ? sure he coached in the pros, but still he was never a HC at any level just like JP and TB. So why weren't they hired?? Because PSU wanted to 'go in a different direction??' what the heck does that mean?? That's what Jay is trying to find out, and I applaud him for that.

It's Yale. Not Pitt.

Reactions: 91Joe95

IIRC, there's a line of case law in PA where if a group is defamed and the group in question is sufficiently small, any member of the group can sue for defamation even though they were not specifically named.

The BOT was considered small enough and Clemons's case was allowed to go forward.

Obviously, PSU football coaches is a smaller group than the BOT, so I don't see not being specifically named in the Freeh Report as an impediment to Jay's defamation suit.

His problems lie elsewhere.

Even with him on my Ignore List, I am getting a clear sense of michidiot's stupidity.

I'm delighted by his verbal gymnastics. I'm still pondering the existential quandary of a fraction of a coach being the same as "some coaches". seriously, what exactly is "some of one coach"? LOL

I'm delighted by his verbal gymnastics. I'm still pondering the existential quandary of a fraction of a coach being the same as "some coaches". seriously, what exactly is "some of one coach"? LOL

One should ask Mike Mauti whether he has ever experienced a "fraction of a coach."

Maybe not, as per the "technical dictionary definition" of "fraction", 0 divided by 1 is not a "fraction."

noun
(maths)
  1. a ratio of two expressions or numbers other than zero
  2. any rational number that is not an integer

I think some of your claims above are a bit of a stretch (Tom Bradley, Larry Johnson and the unnamed-thus-far John Thomas have definitely been at equal-level jobs post-PSU), but fine, I'll play along. I'll speculate that jobs that Jay was considered for prior to July 2012, he is no longer being considered for.

Now let's take a look at Jay's lawsuit. Let's look specifically at this quote: Before the execution of the consent decree, Jay Paterno was a top candidate for open head coaching positions at comparable universities."

The challenge to Jay --- name those schools. Name what schools, prior to July 2012, where Jay Paterno was a "top candidate for an open head coaching position."

If you think that the attorneys put that line in a filing without being sure that they have institutions they can name and proof to back it up, then... well... you really don't understand how this works.

If you think that the attorneys put that line in a filing without being sure that they have institutions they can name and proof to back it up, then... well... you really don't understand how this works.

that dummy don' even unnastan how FRACTIONS work!!

I look forward to being proven wrong.

Perhaps...but none of the coaches you listed have the last name "Paterno". And Joe "Paterno" was specifically listed in the CD. That in itself implies that if there was a cover up orchestrated by Joe his son, who was on his coaching staff, would be part of the "some coaches" statement in the CD. Forget about the coaching jobs, before the CD Jay would have at least gotten some work in broadcasting, in game analyst, etc....but after the CD he couldn't even sniff a job from anyone in coaching or broadcasting. It will be quite easy for Wick and team to show this.

After November 2011 I don't think Jay would have been considered for a tv/radio media job of any national exposure. Before then would be pretty unlikely as well. Outside of some regional appeal, nobody really wants to hear anything he has to say.

I also don't think it will be that "easy for Wick and team" to directly attribute his lack of market appeal directly to the CD. He has many more negatives associated with him than anything the CD may (or may not) have done.

IIRC, there's a line of case law in PA where if a group is defamed and the group in question is sufficiently small, any member of the group can sue for defamation even though they were not specifically named.

The BOT was considered small enough and Clemons's case was allowed to go forward.

Obviously, PSU football coaches is a smaller group than the BOT, so I don't see not being specifically named in the Freeh Report as an impediment to Jay's defamation suit.

His problems lie elsewhere.

Would think this is especially so when the parties who conducted investigation and issued indictments (the PA OAG) say ZERO of the PSU coaches on the 2011 staff were involved in the wrongdoing alleged by Freeh and NCAA!

Of course it is. All of us can error in life.

Sort of why building statues of people still alive is a risky endeavour.

Huh? So according to Mich-nitwit, if you have had a statue of your effigy erected it is clear certification that you were of spotless, unblemished, perfect and completely without human faults???

Learn something new everday - none of it of any quality or good - listening to this blithering moron....

Of course it is. All of us can error in life.

Sort of why building statues of people still alive is a risky endeavour.

It was to coincide with a win level, I believe. It was funded by private funds. The BoT had no right to touch it.

and to think, I started this thread....apologies to everyone......

I don't think you anticipated the utter jackassery of michnit, really digging into new levels of alternate realities and fractals of football coaching. it really has been a long strange trip, like a long painful Jerry Garcia guitar exploration . . .:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT