ADVERTISEMENT

FC: ESPiN's List of College Football Bluebloods....

If you want to believe the '68 Buckeyes were the best team in the country, I have no qualms about that. They were very good. Ohio State's '69 team was even better but God Bless Bo Schembechler from saving us from an eternity of hearing how Ohio State's '68-'69 teams would of been the greatest cfb team ever.

In 1973 they were a lot of really good football teams that year. We were definitely one of them.

In 1969, with the maturity of a returning undefeated squad, and with the increased additions/development and involvement of Lydell Mitchell, Franco Harris and Jack Ham, Penn State was the best team in the country with the best defense and the best head coach not named Bear Bryant in the country. Richard Nixon's opinion and the Texas Longhorns be damned.
Unfortunately, Paterno declined the opportunity to play Texas in the Cotton, which would have settled that argument.

Unfortunately, Paterno declined the opportunity to play Texas in the Cotton, which would have settled that argument.

Paterno did not "decline to play" Texas in 1969. The bowl matchups were set up a couple weeks before the end of the season. At the time PSU accepted the trip to Miami, Ohio State was ranked #1 and they were defending national champs. No one predicted that they would lose to a rebuilding Michigan team. So, figuring PSU would be locked out of a national championship, he figured the Orange Bowl in sunny Miami was a better destination than a trip to cold, dreary Dallas. Yeah, ultimately it came back to bite him in the a** but he wasn't "ducking" anyone. If anything, the team he played in the Orange Bowl was arguably just as good or better than Texas.

Reactions: john4psu
1968 NC OSU beat #1 Purdue #4 Mich #16 MSU - PSU did not play a ranked team
1969 NC Texas beat #8 Oklahoma and #2 Arkansas - PSU beat #17 WV
1973 UPI NC Bama beat #7 LSU and #10 Tenn - PSU beat #20 Pitt at home
1973 AP NC ND beat #6 USC and #20 Pitt at Pitt

Your stats are wrong. In 1969, Oklahoma did not finish #8. They may have been #8 when the game was played but that does not mean jack. In reality, OK went 6-4 in 1969 and didn't even go to a bowl game so they aren't a great example of the so called tougher schedule that Texas played that season.

When was the last time we were nationally relevant? 2006 orange & 2009 rose? Are you under 30?

I am not saying the name Penn State doesn't hold a lot of weight; I am just stating that when it comes to competing for championships and BCS bowl's, you'd probably be hard pressed to find the younger generation putting Penn State in that category.

2006, I thought that 2009 team wasn't very strong. We really played one great team and that was the rose bowl and got out butts handed to us.

Paterno did not "decline to play" Texas in 1969. The bowl matchups were set up a couple weeks before the end of the season. At the time PSU accepted the trip to Miami, Ohio State was ranked #1 and they were defending national champs. No one predicted that they would lose to a rebuilding Michigan team. So, figuring PSU would be locked out of a national championship, he figured the Orange Bowl in sunny Miami was a better destination than a trip to cold, dreary Dallas. Yeah, ultimately it came back to bite him in the a** but he wasn't "ducking" anyone. If anything, the team he played in the Orange Bowl was arguably just as good or better than Texas.

crm114 seems to be one of these presumed PSU fans that has never met an argument that he can't spin in the light LEAST favorable to PSU. There are a few board regulars who are like that. Him being so new to the board, the possibility of him being a troll can't be discounted.

Reactions: pandaczar12
1968 NC OSU beat #1 Purdue #4 Mich #16 MSU - PSU did not play a ranked team
1969 NC Texas beat #8 Oklahoma and #2 Arkansas - PSU beat #17 WV
1973 UPI NC Bama beat #7 LSU and #10 Tenn - PSU beat #20 Pitt at home
1973 AP NC ND beat #6 USC and #20 Pitt at Pitt

Another thing about Texas in 1969. I don't know why they got so much credit for beating Arkansas. Sure, Ark was undefeated going into the game but Ark did not beat 1 team with a wining record that season- not one. The, after losing to Texas, they promptly lost to a 3 loss Ole Miss team in the bowl game. Yeah, they really deserved to be ranked #2 going into the game with Texas.:rolleyes:

Reactions: john4psu and biacto
Unless you go team by team and look at their schedules, that's a really hard claim to make. I'll admit, I don't anything about the schedules that those other teams played but before I concede that PSU's schedule was markedly weaker, I'd like to see some analysis of the other teams' schedules.
I loathe USC, but have to say that the Toejams have historically had a tougher schedule than most of the other teams on that list. Their OOC schedule has never been the collection of cupcakes that many other blueblood teams play.

I'm not going to argue that PSU should be above any of the teams in the top 8....maybe tied with a few, but not necessarily above......nevertheless, there is no way in hell that LSU is above PSU in any way, shape or form.

Let's not ever forget 1994 when the inbred Midwestern B1G sportswriters voted for a Big 12 team instead of PSU. The biggest robbery in the history of college football.

Seriously, what do the number of Heisman winners really have to do with program success? Paterno's philosophy was always team - the Heisman is an individual award which is really not an indication of team success. After all, didn't Paul Hornung win it after ND went 2-8 one season? But hey, PSU is in the to 10 all time - that is blue blood in my book. Again, thank you Joe Paterno!

Alabama is the bluest of blue and only have Heisman winners in the last seven years.

Do they define "blue blood" somewhere?

To me, the most important variable in determining "blue blood" is the sheer level of interest in said program. That is why Miami often isn't considered a blue blood despite their success. So, even though we've had some down years over the past decade and a half, we still have the second largest stadium in the land, seventh highest attendance last year with only one big-time home game (and will most certainly increase this year with a good season), and have one of the most positive impacts on our opponent's TV ratings.

The fact that our popularity is still so high even during this "down" time cements us more more than anyone as a "blue blood" (note that is not the same as saying we're the "most blue blood").

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT