ADVERTISEMENT

FC: 5-* Class Of 2016 QB Hunter Johnson Commits To Tennessee

Crimson Lights

May 29, 2001
The nation's #1 pro style QB prospect and Rival's overall #4 chose the Vols over Notre Dame, thereby saving Brandon Wimbush from having to transfer. James Guarantano, who decommitted from Ohio State to verbal with Tennessee, now has to decide what to do. Maybe he'll go to the Fighting Irish on the rebound.

Tennessee is going to be solid in a few years. Butch Jones is turning them around after Fulmer almost killed that program.

The nation's #1 pro style QB prospect and Rival's overall #4 chose the Vols over Notre Dame, thereby saving Brandon Wimbush from having to transfer. James Guarantano, who decommitted from Ohio State to verbal with Tennessee, now has to decide what to do. Maybe he'll go to the Fighting Irish on the rebound.
Lol. CL right in cue

Go ahead and say what you mean CL

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Tennessee is going to be solid in a few years. Butch Jones is turning them around after Fulmer almost killed that program.

They are solid now. They are going to be good this year.

Glad we already have the top QB in Ohio as a 2017 verbal.

Fulmer almost killed the program??? Are you serious? Fulmer won a national title...and he was not the problem. Try Lane Kiffin for a year and Derek Dooley. People just got impatient with Fulmer....when he had a few average years.

Maybe PSU should have held off on the 2017 QB for a few more months.

Reactions: pkg5002
Vols fans are saying Guarantano will move to wideout..that is shocking if true. Kid should pick a different school.

No one has mentioned he is 2017, not 2016. We got our QB. Few thought that HJ was coming here so no big deal.

Brandon Wimbush will be starting for Notre Dame this year, by the 5th game of the season.

No he won't & why should JG transfer because tenn got another highly rated qb no matter where he goes there will be competition

Wimbush should go back home to Jersey. The UCLA head coach just referred to their State team as an alternative to Junior college. He could be a savior there.

Kind of challenging for the big programs to "only" sign a top kid every couple of years. It is too difficult to predict if they can play. Recall when we had three highly rated 4 star QBs at one time (none of them could play as it turned out). A walk-on turned out to be our best option.
So, maybe the best approach is sign "very-good" QB every class (4 star).

Reactions: Blueblood4eva
Kind of challenging for the big programs to "only" sign a top kid every couple of years. It is too difficult to predict if they can play. Recall when we had three highly rated 4 star QBs at one time (none of them could play as it turned out). A walk-on turned out to be our best option.
So, maybe the best approach is sign "very-good" QB every class (4 star).

You are so right and I think it is the most confounding position to predict success for. The pros, who have everything so sophisticated in evaluation, get this one wrong at an unusually high rate. I watch that "walk on" take control in Oakland and still scratch my head. I think I would still get it wrong and pick Dan Marino or Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning every time and lose to Joe Montana or Eli Manning in the Championship Game. It's almost as if all of the other players they depend on, raise their level of play when needed because they are indebted to do their part to help. It is not just luck. It is special, and damn hard to measure. You just know it when you see it, more than once.

Reactions: 81b&w
No he won't & why should JG transfer because tenn got another highly rated qb no matter where he goes there will be competition
OH HELL YES he will. Right after Zaire loses his second game, Kelly will freak out and go to the freshman. In fact write it down an I owe you free beer at my tailgate for the Michigan game if it doesn't happen. PM me!

Hmmm.. Interesting. I thought everyone here pegged him for ND. I am still surprised the staff took a commitment from a QB this early for a cycle that has almost 2 years left till signing day. I personally thought HJ had a lot of interest in us. The Clifford commitment completely threw him off clearly. Now was that because he would face competition here, I do not know. But he is going to face competition any where he goes. Newho, maybe the staff liked Clifford a lot more, who knows. Man imagine if we had gotten HJ and D'AS to start of the class with........ Ohh well!

Not so fast my friend!

Kelly can still end up sleeping on this kids porch the week leading up to signing day!

LOL!!

I love it!

This SCREWED Notre Dame!!

" I think I would still get it wrong and pick Dan Marino or Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning every time and lose to Joe Montana or Eli Manning in the Championship Game."
?

Both Mannings were #1 picks; Rogers (sic) #24, Marino #27, and Montana #82

Um, who is the 2017 QB verbal we have? Must have missed it....

I don't think it was Fulmer that killed the program. It was Lane Kiffen and the crap that was left in his wake after he crawled out of town.
Also don't think the coach that came after him (name escapes me and I don't care enough to google) wasn't very good either.

Crimson, you're not afraid to go out on a limb with bold and presumptuous conjectures.

Midnighter, I just noticed that you changed your avatar. Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (2nd film she ever did, I believe) ... not bad at all.

So if Phoebe (as Linda Barrett) is your avatar, I'm wondering who you would be in the movie. Perhaps Spicoli? Perhaps Brad, who has a thing for Linda? Perhaps Rat? Perhaps Mike? Heck, perhaps you would be Mr. Hand. :D

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I don't think it was Fulmer that killed the program. It was Lane Kiffen and the crap that was left in his wake after he crawled out of town.
Also don't think the coach that came after him (name escapes me and I don't care enough to google) wasn't very good either.

Yeah, Lane Kiffen for one year and then Derek Dooley.

And competition in the SEC is brutal -- for years, Tennessee had some advantages in terms of stadium size, tradition, money, stable coaching situation; Fullmer dropped off some, and opponents came up with bigger stadiums, big-name coaches, stepped-up recruiting, etc. New coach Butch Jones seems to be building program back.

Wouldn't mind seeing Tennessee on some future PSU schedule, though that may not be a strong possibility.

Midnighter, I just noticed that you changed your avatar. Phoebe Cates in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (2nd film she ever did, I believe) ... not bad at all.

So if Phoebe (as Linda Barrett) is your avatar, I'm wondering who you would be in the movie. Perhaps Spicoli? Perhaps Brad, who has a thing for Linda? Perhaps Rat? Perhaps Mike? Heck, perhaps you would be Mr. Hand. :D

Definitely not Spicoli or Mr. Hand (but, getting there....!). Brad for sure; but my wife says my doppelganger (in looks and personality) is Ferris Bueller, which I'm fine with :cool:.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT