ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo 2023

We're getting closer... The pilgrimage is coming.

I was just up a little past Fargo a couple of weeks back for a wedding. I'm thankful that I'm a drive away, but damn is it an awful drive.

Bet that dude has/is a Hammer. ⚡ ⚡
He is dangerous on bottom:
8a0f1143258903.5607449211e20.jpg

Reactions: danoftw
On a PA note, Sierra Chiesa (Northwestern) just dominated her way to a 16U Fargo title at 117lbs. She outscored her opponents 61-2 over her 7 matc

On a PA note, Sierra Chiesa (Northwestern) just dominated her way to a 16U Fargo title at 117lbs. She outscored her opponents 61-2 over her 7 matches
Chiesa = Champion

Reactions: dbldoofus
Gosh dang fargo must be tough. Brock Rothermel lost in the round of 128. I thought he would place easily after watching him a bunch this year. That alone changes my perspective on how hard it is

Reactions: Ski and hlstone
Exciting first rd of boys FS, biggest note I have is Dillard going down in round 1. Also Evanitsky vs Herman is about as good of a rd 1 match you are going to get and I would recommend checking it out
Holy heck Dillard loses first Round.

One of my club athletes took out the Riggins kid out round one. Just lost on R64. Hoping we can make a run on the backside, I guess.

Riggins then lost the following round. Insanity.

Reactions: hlstone
Gosh dang fargo must be tough. Brock Rothermel lost in the round of 128. I thought he would place easily after watching him a bunch this year. That alone changes my perspective on how hard it is
You should never get too surprised about what happens out there. One, it's freestyle. Despite what others may post, it's different. Even discounting par terre, TDs are defended differently than in folk. Secondly, it's easier to upset someone in freestyle. You would hardly ever see someone TF another wrestler in Folk, and then have that result turned around the next match. That happens all the time in FS.

Your takeaways at Fargo are from the wins, not the losses.

PSU commit Kyison Garcia from Utah lost 13-7 to Tahir Parkins. Garcia was up 7-6 with 10 seconds left and gave up a 4 off a restart plus 1 for fleeing. Then gave a last second td as well. 7 points in under 10 seconds is pretty impressive. Tough way to lose

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
Ethan Parco vs Collin Gaj coming up in the round of 32! Top 10 matchup in the round of 32. Got to love Fargo

Reactions: hlstone
Kael Voinovich got DQ’d while winning 6-2 with 25 seconds left in the match. He blatantly headbutted his opponent twice. The kid was down on the mat for close to 10 minutes. Just no need to do something like this in any match but especially one where you are winning with not much time left.

Kael Voinovich got DQ’d while winning 6-2 with 25 seconds left in the match. He blatantly headbutted his opponent twice. The kid was down on the mat for close to 10 minutes. Just no need to do something like this in any match but especially one where you are winning with not much time left.

Disagree 100%
It was a very unfortunate incident, where the kid on the mat turned into the attacking wrestler. When Kael started his 'blast' for pushout point or blast double, the kid was on the edge, (with body parallel to edge) basically in a referees position - head pointing towards his corner coach. Kael aims directly for the kids left torso/ribs as he descends upon him... leading with arms but head a bit behind. Kid turns towards Kael and puts his head directly in the path Kael had towards his side/ribs. Boom. Heads hit. "Blatantly headbutted" is just wrong.

Unfortunate event for the kid on ground, but that was not egregious on Kael.. at all. He did what Jordan Burroughs has been doing for the last 10 years, with freight train attach on edge.

Look at what Willie posted on it, on his Rokfin page. He was matside.

Disagree 100%
It was a very unfortunate incident, where the kid on the mat turned into the attacking wrestler. When Kael started his 'blast' for pushout point or blast double, the kid was on the edge, (with body parallel to edge) basically in a referees position - head pointing towards his corner coach. Kael aims directly for the kids left torso/ribs as he descends upon him... leading with arms but head a bit behind. Kid turns towards Kael and puts his head directly in the path Kael had towards his side/ribs. Boom. Heads hit. "Blatantly headbutted" is just wrong.

Unfortunate event for the kid on ground, but that was not egregious on Kael.. at all. He did what Jordan Burroughs has been doing for the last 10 years, with freight train attach on edge.

Look at what Willie posted on it, on his Rokfin page. He was matside.
Not what I saw at all. Granted from the Flo video posted you can’t clearly see the second one but it was absolutely blatant. He lowered his head and led with it…twice. Burroughs leads with his head/face but almost always catches guys in the chest. This was not that. When I watched it a never saw anything resembling what Burroughs does.

Just rewatched. On the video posted I can’t see what happens after the initial blow. Just Voinovich kind of charging/diving but can’t see where he hits the other kid. So to go back on what I said, I see 1 headbut before they go off screen. Still looks dirty to me

Last edited:
The first one was just hard wrestling. The second one imo was not needed. Was winning 6-2 with short time. Must be the Iowa style coming out in him already. Could it be bad blood from when he lived in Ohio Vs another Ohio kid. Regardless it wasn’t bad until the second one out of bounds.

Reactions: donboy6499
Not what I saw at all. Granted from the Flo video posted you can’t clearly see the second one but it was absolutely blatant. He lowered his head and led with it…twice. Burroughs leads with his head/face but almost always catches guys in the chest. This was not that. When I watched it a never saw anything resembling what Burroughs does.

Just rewatched. On the video posted I can’t see what happens after the initial blow. Just Voinovich kind of charging/diving but can’t see where he hits the other kid. So to go back on what I said, I see 1 headbut before they go off screen. Still looks dirty to me
Are you there? Because I don't think you can say he headbutted him the second time. To me, it looks like he's diving on top to cover for two because the kid bellied down after the first impact. Maybe you're there and saw it live though?

Regardless, the real reason he got DQ'd was because he showed up the bald judge at the bottom. The ref on the mat initially gave nothing (grounded). Then the bald judge was pointing at KV, so he gave caution + 1 to KV (fleeing) thinking that's what the judge wanted. Then the judge calls them over and gives KV an attention and chides him. KV kind of smiles and shrugs his shoulders and walks back to the center with the ref. At this point, the judge sees that, gets mad, and immediately calls the ref back over, changes his mind, and argues for the DQ.

Was first headbutt ill-advised? Maybe, but there's a pretty legitimate attempt to score there on the edge. That's a sequence we see all the time in freestyle. But the bottom line is the bald judge got his feelings hurt, and took it into his own hands.

Are you there? Because I don't think you can say he headbutted him the second time. To me, it looks like he's diving on top to cover for two because the kid bellied down after the first impact. Maybe you're there and saw it live though?

Regardless, the real reason he got DQ'd was because he showed up the bald judge at the bottom. The ref on the mat initially gave nothing (grounded). Then the bald judge was pointing at KV, so he gave caution + 1 to KV (fleeing) thinking that's what the judge wanted. Then the judge calls them over and gives KV an attention and chides him. KV kind of smiles and shrugs his shoulders and walks back to the center with the ref. At this point, the judge sees that, gets mad, and immediately calls the ref back over, changes his mind, and argues for the DQ.

Was first headbutt ill-advised? Maybe, but there's a pretty legitimate attempt to score there on the edge. That's a sequence we see all the time in freestyle. But the bottom line is the bald judge got his feelings hurt, and took it into his own hands.
No I’m not there. I clarified in my second post that I rewatched it and can’t see what happens on the second lunge going out of bounds. I think you are correct about showing up the ref. I still think it was out of line. Definitely not the worst but still not warranted in my opinion

Reactions: js8793
No I’m not there. I clarified in my second post that I rewatched it and can’t see what happens on the second lunge going out of bounds. I think you are correct about showing up the ref. I still think it was out of line. Definitely not the worst but still not warranted in my opinion
Yeah I have no problem with a caution + 1 against him, but brutality was way too far. Ended his tournament. Especially considering the ref decided to do it when he felt disrespected, not because of the actual exchange.

Yeah I have no problem with a caution + 1 against him, but brutality was way too far. Ended his tournament. Especially considering the ref decided to do it when he felt disrespected, not because of the actual exchange.
So him getting DQ’d put him out of the entire tournament? That’s bad. I didn’t realize he wouldn’t be able to continue on in the consi’s

Reactions: js8793
So him getting DQ’d put him out of the entire tournament? That’s bad. I didn’t realize he wouldn’t be able to continue on in the consi’s
Yep, he's done. Equivalent to a flagrant misconduct in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT