ADVERTISEMENT

Fans of crime/mob films - Sexy Beast (2000)

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
I was rewatching the Departed yesterday and one of its actors, Ray Winstone, had a big part in Sexy Beast, a very underappreciated British crime film also starring a frightening Ben Kingsley and Ian McShane.

Worth watching if only for Kingsley's turn as Don Logan - earned him an Oscar Nomination. Here's a great scene:

And a classic string of profanity:

I was rewatching the Departed yesterday and one of its actors, Ray Winstone, had a big part in Sexy Beast, a very underappreciated British crime film also starring a frightening Ben Kingsley and Ian McShane.

Worth watching if only for Kingsley's turn as Don Logan - earned him an Oscar Nomination. Here's a great scene:

I've seen the movie. It's a good one. Winstone always makes an impression.

KIngsley gives one of the most chilling performances I ever watched. And he rightly earned an Oscar nomination. Sexy Beast is probably the best of the wave of British crime dramas.

The Limey is SOOOOO underrated. Soderbergh's next film after the vastly underrated Out of Sight. Stamp is a damn force to be reckoned with . . .

KIngsley gives one of the most chilling performances I ever watched. And he rightly earned an Oscar nomination. Sexy Beast is probably the best of the wave of British crime dramas.

The Limey is SOOOOO underrated. Soderbergh's next film after the vastly underrated Out of Sight. Stamp is a damn force to be reckoned with . . .

The really scary thing about Out of Sight was seeing how good of an actress Jennifer Lopez is. Sad that she's hellbent on the whole singing thing - she could have been really, really great.

I made a pitch for folks of British crime films to check out Tom Hardy in 'Legend'; a true story about the Kray Twins who were notorious London crime bosses in the 60's. Reggie was the cool, laid back brother and Ronnie was the unhinged psychotic. Great clip of Hardy doing justice to both roles - see it if you get a chance (some salty language, so may have to log in/verify your age to view).

The really scary thing about Out of Sight was seeing how good of an actress Jennifer Lopez is. Sad that she's hellbent on the whole singing thing - she could have been really, really great.

she held her own against Clooney, Ving Rhames, and Don Cheadle. Then she seemed to disappear into crappy roles in third rate films . . .

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I liked both, but to be honest preferred Ritchie's restraint in TMFU. Kingsman was just too gratuitous (if not enjoyable otherwise) - even for me. Also, love Alicia Vikander...

the church massacre in KM (to Lynyrd Skynyrd!) was one of the best and most brutal action scenes of the past 10 years

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
the church massacre in KM (to Lynyrd Skynyrd!) was one of the best and most brutal action scenes of the past 10 years

Agree - was a bit much for me though. Vaughn really impressed me with Kick Ass - the 'rescue' of Big Daddy was unlike anything on film to that point. He's great when not bogged down with studio interference.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
This guy would kick all their asses!

qISgS88.gif

I agree that Sexy Beast is underrated. Another good crime film that is underrated is Layer Cake.

Sexy Beast is very good. I've never seen Layer Cake so I'll have to check it out.
2 other British "crime" dramadey that I love are Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and Snatch. Snatch may be, INMO, Brad Pitts best film and its loaded with good actors. Benicio Del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones, Jason Stratham and Morgan from Walking Dead, Lennie James.

LOL and then it was onto The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert and he just killed it in that role too. Plus it has Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce. All good.:)

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT