ADVERTISEMENT

Famous (popular) films you have never seen...

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
just a feeble attempt to get our minds of the Virus, and argue about other things...

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic
...any 'kids" movies within the last 20 years - i.e. Frozen, Frozen II, etc

Reactions: BBrown
just a feeble attempt to get our minds of the Virus, and argue about other things...

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic
Green Mile
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic
any of the Star War movies after the first one
none of the 'super hero' movies other than spider man years ago.

I haven't seen 12 of the last 13 years best-picture winners. Saw Argo. And before that The Departed... but none of the rest.

Reactions: sluggo72
Ghostbusters
All of the Star Wars movies after the second one.
The Matrix

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic

I'm not a mafia fan so yea I've never seen any of the Godfathers, The Irishman, Goodfellas...
Also have never seen Avatar or all of Titanic.

I’ve seen every movie mentioned by name so far in this thread except Flags of our fathers and Avatar. Maybe I need to rethink my life.

Godfather 1 & 2
Every Hitchcock Movie
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Flags of Our Fathers
The English Patient
Moonlight
The Green Book
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Hurt Locker
Gravity
Spirited Away
Far From Heaven
Roma
Boyhood
Raging Bull

Godfather 1 & 2
Every Hitchcock Movie
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Flags of Our Fathers
The English Patient
Moonlight
The Green Book
The Hurt Locker
Gravity
Spirited Away
Far From Heaven
Roma
Boyhood
Raging Bull
Honestly, as big a movie fan as you are, I am shocked you've never watched AH. You've never seen Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest? I went on an AH binge and watched just about every movie he did. They are a clear cut above anything made today, especially if you like drama over action. Many of the things he pioneered are standard Op procedure today but if you look for them you can see how incredible his skills compared to his era.

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic

You're missing out on some great entertainment! They always throw in funny stuff that only the parents will get.

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic

Of those, Schindler, and Platoon are must sees. Godfathers are good but I am not a huge mafia fan. Avatar and Titanic are just entertaining but hold no real emotion for me. Same with Top Gun; many scenes today are embarrassing. I watched Platoon and when walking out, I saw a group of vietnam vets weeping while hugging in the back of the theater. That pretty much cemented this movie as top ten on my list. BTW, three of the best acting performances turned in by Defoe, Barenger and Sheen. Add in Johnny Depp and Forest Witaker. Really, a tour de force of movies.

Godfather 1 & 2
Every Hitchcock Movie
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Flags of Our Fathers
The English Patient
Moonlight
The Green Book
The Hurt Locker
Gravity
Spirited Away
Far From Heaven
Roma
Boyhood
Raging Bull

Holy cow @Midnighter. As big a movie fan as you are and you haven't seen any Hitch movie? Really? Wow. I"m stunned.

Moonlight I liked a lot.
Greenbook I thought was good.
I"ve never made it through all of 2001, pretty similar to Apocalypse Now, I usually bail after they find Col. Kurtz. LOL.
I thought Hurt Locker was excellent.

Honestly, as big a movie fan as you are, I am shocked you've never watched AH. You've never seen Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest? I went on an AH binge and watched just about every movie he did. They are a clear cut above anything made today, especially if you like drama over action. Many of the things he pioneered are standard Op procedure today but if you look for them you can see how incredible his skills compared to his era.

Yea I'm a huge Hitch fan. Just love the way he filmed things.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yeah, watch Shadow of a Doubt or Vertigo to see some serious suspense.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yeah, watch Shadow of a Doubt or Vertigo to see some serious suspense.

Yea Shadow of a Doubt for the opening tracking scene alone. Brilliant.
Notorious, Rear Window and North by Northwest and Foreign Correspondent are my favorites.
With a shout out to The Man Who Knew too Much with Doris Day.

Reactions: LionJim
Notorious is in my top three AH. My wife once taught a vampire-film class with some seriously scary films and she tells me that the scariest film she has seen is The Birds.

How cool. I would have loved that class.
One of my favorite Lit Classes at PSU was Literature of the Occult.

Reactions: LionJim

Holy cow @Midnighter. As big a movie fan as you are and you haven't seen any Hitch movie? Really? Wow. I"m stunned.

Moonlight I liked a lot.
Greenbook I thought was good.
I"ve never made it through all of 2001, pretty similar to Apocalypse Now, I usually bail after they find Col. Kurtz. LOL.
I thought Hurt Locker was excellent.

Hitchcock is a massive blind spot for me. I am aware of his movies (edit: I have seen Psycho and the sequels...) but am not a huge horror fan, and I tended to put his movies in that category when I was younger (even though I’ve come to learn they’re more ‘thriller’). What really caught my attention was when the British Film Institute named Vertigo the best film of all time (topping long-standing champ Citizen Kane) - so, got some work to do.

Hitchcock is a massive blind spot for me. I am aware of his movies (edit: I have seen Psycho and the sequels...) but am not a huge horror fan, and I tended to put his movies in that category when I was younger (even though I’ve come to learn they’re more ‘thriller’). What really caught my attention was when the British Film Institute named Vertigo the best film of all time (topping long-standing champ Citizen Kane) - so, got some work to do.

IIRC, from my film class, Vertigo was panned by everyone when it came out.
As much as I love Hitch and his movies, Vertigo is not on my list of favorites.

Anyone familiar with Hart's War? Just watched it the other night on EPIX. Really good WWII POW movie. "Uro, can't believe you've never seen Schindler's List.

Godfather II and III
Top Gun
Schindler's List
Platoon
Flags of our Fathers
Titanic

Frozen 1 & 2
Never saw most of the original Disney movies. Like 101 Dalmations etc. up to the 90s.

LdN

My wife and I never seen any of the Star Wars movies or Avatar, yet thoroughly enjoyed the new rides at Disney when we went in late January...

Frozen 1 & 2
Never saw most of the original Disney movies. Like 101 Dalmations etc. up to the 90s.

LdN
you'll be underwhelmed. Avatar was only good for the updated usage of 3D but the story and acting were marginal. Frozen is, of course, a kid's movie. I much more like The Incredibles or Despicable Me. The older movies, like Dalmations, have become very dated. It is funny, I stated to watch the classic "16 Candles" and in an early scene turned it off when the girls were making fun of a friend who was dating a black student. Ouch.

A
Godfather 1 & 2
Every Hitchcock Movie
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Flags of Our Fathers
The English Patient
Moonlight
The Green Book
The Hurt Locker
Gravity
Spirited Away
Far From Heaven
Roma
Boyhood
Raging Bull
Are you kidding? You are the movie guy. Four of those are must-watch plus 4-5 Hitchcock movies. I am shocked!:)

you'll be underwhelmed. Avatar was only good for the updated usage of 3D but the story and acting were marginal. Frozen is, of course, a kid's movie. I much more like The Incredibles or Despicable Me. The older movies, like Dalmations, have become very dated. It is funny, I stated to watch the classic "16 Candles" and in an early scene turned it off when the girls were making fun of a friend who was dating a black student. Ouch.

I never saw 16 candles either.
That being said I have an appreciation for liking films based on how they were perceived at the time.

Like An Affair to Remember. Tremendous film. Different times however.

LdN

I never saw 16 candles either.
That being said I have an appreciation for liking films based on how they were perceived at the time.

Like An Affair to Remember. Tremendous film. Different times however.

LdN
Agree...After my wife and daughter go to bed, I've been watching old movies like Torpedo Run, Run Silent Run Deep and Ice Station Zebra. ISZ, in fact, was the first movie filmed in metrocolor (a big advancement). It runs 148 minutes and factored in an intermission. It was a box office disappointment. However, the filming of a sub under the polar ice cap is amazing. Other parts, they have a space capsule parachuting to earth, is comedic. But to your point, they are all smoking in this tiny sub. It had to be awful. Plus, Rock Hudson is the star, who eventually dies of AIDS. It ends up being a great movie to watch for so many reasons other than the movie itself.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Other than a few minutes while flipping through the channels,

Jurassic Parks
Matrixes or Matrices
Harry Potters

Really wish I hadn't seen Avatar. It's a great advertisement for special effects with poor writing and acting. The only reason that I saw it is that a college classmate worked on the special effects.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen The Godfather and I generally like these type of movies.

Also:

The Deerhunter

Pulp Fiction

Only 2 or 3 of the 5 million marvel movies (Really just Guardians of the Galaxy one of the Spider-Man)

I never saw the last Batman movie either.

Curious how many or how many have not seen "Oldboy".
A very good and most unusual movie.

I have not seen:
Raging Bull, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Truman Show, and many of the recent 2019 releases. All using the IMDB top 250 as a checklist.

The only two modern movies I have seen are The Departed and The Gentlemen. I also saw Used Cars, the only Spielberg movie I liked.

Godfather 1 & 2
Every Hitchcock Movie
Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
Flags of Our Fathers
The English Patient
Moonlight
The Green Book
The Hurt Locker
Gravity
Spirited Away
Far From Heaven
Roma
Boyhood
Raging Bull

You either fell asleep or skipped the day Citizen Kane was shown in PSU's Theater 190 class...

Reactions: Nittany_93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT