ADVERTISEMENT

Exciting OT thread: anyone have a video-doorbell (eg: Ring™️ or equivalent)?

massimoManca II

Oct 25, 2002
Mons Veneris
Thinking of getting one, possibly two for my front-entrances.... i see there are a couple brands at Best Buy (Ring, NetGear, Vtech etc) ... would like to hear whatchewhave and what type of underwear you have on...

Thanks
mMII

Thinking of getting one, possibly two for my front-entrances.... i see there are a couple brands at Best Buy (Ring, NetGear, Vtech etc) ... would like to hear whatchewhave and what type of underwear you have on...

Thanks
mMII
I have on a classic 3 pack pair from the discount store and I dont have a doorbell. But I do have the Arlo camera system. I read some review that compared all of that stuff and it seemed Arlo had the best overall rating. The cameras are nice, it was very easy to set up, worked exactly like the direction told you to do. The cameras are either hard wired, or battery for power, the signal works off your home network (WIFI). They do have a doorbell, but it does not have a camera in it, you would have to point a camera at the door. So far I really like it, and it has been very easy to use. If the batteries get low, they send you an email, telling you the batteries are low.

I have on a classic 3 pack pair from the discount store and I dont have a doorbell. But I do have the Arlo camera system. I read some review that compared all of that stuff and it seemed Arlo had the best overall rating. The cameras are nice, it was very easy to set up, worked exactly like the direction told you to do. The cameras are either hard wired, or battery for power, the signal works off your home network (WIFI). They do have a doorbell, but it does not have a camera in it, you would have to point a camera at the door. So far I really like it, and it has been very easy to use. If the batteries get low, they send you an email, telling you the batteries are low.

Yeah... thanks, they do have Arlo there next to Ring in the store (was trying to remember the name). had never hear of Arlo... was wondering if there was a preferece

Yeah... thanks, they do have Arlo there next to Ring in the store (was trying to remember the name). had never hear of Arlo... was wondering if there was a preferece
I read one of these...https://homealarmreport.com/nest-cam-outdoor-vs-ring-vs-canary-flex/, and I dont remember which one, but they liked Arlo best over all. I have the Arlo 2, which is suppose to be a better camera than just the Arlo. The 2 and the basic can work off the same network, the Arlo's are cheaper than the 2, but are like 720 vs 1080 or whatever, and yes the doorbell is out now. So far very easy to use, works as advertised.

We've had the Ring for over a year. I have the doorbell and also 3 other cameras. All 3 cameras have 2 lithium batteries each with 2 having the solar panel attachment so I never need to change and charge those due to the solar panel. Colorado gets almost 300 days of sun per year. The 3rd camera is in a no sun zone so I change the batteries every 10 weeks or so. The doorbell is on lithium and that battery works a very long time between charges, 4 months or so. We were not able to hard wire the doorbell without a major expense so we just went with the battery. As long as you have a good internet connection you can access worldwide. We accessed this summer in Czech and Poland on cell phones and ipads. They have great customer service also. I had a camera that had some issues and I sent it back and they replaced it no charge. The cameras are very sturdy and you can turn on the light manually or automatic when they pick up movement in the zone. You can also speak through the doorbell and cameras and the cameras also have an alarm if you really want to annoy the neighbors haha.I highly recommend them. .

I have a ring camera/light on my front porch and a ring dual light/camera. I had to upgrade my Wifi speed to 100mb and when I did that it works flawlessly. If you want them to store images for any period of time, there is a fee...something like $10/month. They also have a "neighborhood" thing where people can post alerts of suspicious activity in the 'hood.

I didn't do the doorbell because a) i don't want to have to change the battery and/or b) run a power line to it. I liked having the camera and motion sensor light and ran a power line to it. The advantage is that the light going on is a bit of a deterrent as it tells the evil-doer that there is surveillance.

I believe the costs of the Ring devices are ridiculously expensive but installation and product performance has been very good.

we have the arlo pro, 3 at different points outside and 1 inside to monitor dogs when we’re out. crime isn’t an issue at all where we live, we just wanted to be alerted when someone is in our driveway etc. and to spot some wildlife (if I knew how to post pics we caught a rather large black bear on our patio).

It produces excellent quality pics and video- including at night. alerts are great and function exactly as we had hoped. HOWEVER, when researching I noticed reviewers complaining of a slight lag with capturing animals, people, etc moving for no more than a second or so, and for my purposes I thought, meh, no biggie- but it actually does annoy me a bit. A fox ran by on camera and it only captured him leaving the area.

Oh, battery life has been fantastic. much better than i’d hoped. constant motion on driveway cam and have only had to charge it once since may.... same with the others.

Thanks
mMII
I was looking to get one but it requires wireless internet. Spectrum won't allow me to keep just internet when I go south for the winter. They make me keep my whole TV and IP phone package or nothing. They do have a seasonal service for $50/mo that is supposed to be ample internet to operate security cameras but it doesn't work.

Thanks
mMII
After studying the various wireless video systems I decided to go with a whole-house wired system because (a) I didn't want to mess with batteries especially because we take extended vacations and I didn't want to worry about the batteries dying while away, (b) it was fairly easy for me to run the wires for the 8 cameras and (c) the monthly fees for cloud-based storage (which are necessary for recording and storing video clips with any wireless system) can really add-up. IIRC, the Arlo system had the highest-priced monthly monitoring fees. That's where a lot of these vendors make their profit.

Amazon now owns Ring and there are three versions of their wireless video doorbells (Ring 1, 2 and Pro). I don't believe they offer discounted monitoring for Prime members but I might be wrong.

Here are a couple of useful links I found describing and comparing the most popular versions.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-video-doorbells,review-4468.html

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/358684/the-best-video-doorbells

Aside from the monthly fees, it's important to research the functionality and reliability of the App for remote monitoring your front entrances (are you Christine Blasey Ford?).

As I type this, I'm currently not wearing any underwear :eek:

Last edited:
After studying the various wireless video systems I decided to go with a whole-house wired system because (a) I didn't want to mess with batteries especially because we take extended vacations and I didn't want to worry about the batteries dying while away, (b) it was fairly easy for me to run the wires for the 8 cameras and (c) the monthly fees for cloud-based storage (which are necessary for recording and storing video clips with any wireless system) can really add-up. IIRC, the Arlo system had the highest-priced monthly monitoring fees. That's where a lot of these vendors make their profit.

Amazon now owns Ring and there are two versions of their wireless video doorbells (Ring 1, 2 and Pro). I don't believe they offer discounted monitoring for Prime members but I might be wrong.

Here are a couple of useful links I found describing and comparing the most popular versions.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-video-doorbells,review-4468.html

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/358684/the-best-video-doorbells

Aside from the monthly fees, it's important to research the functionality and reliability of the App for remote monitoring your front entrances (are you Christine Blasey Ford?).

As I type this, I'm currently not wearing any underwear :eek:
ring was on Shark tank, they all passed except mr wonderful, who made them a left handed offer. Most of the sharks didnt see a future in this...
https://www.businessinsider.com/ring-from-shark-tank-to-richard-branson-2015-8/

I am truly not being a smartass, I really don't understand. Why do you need video of everyone who comes to your door?

Reactions: gogolion
I am truly not being a smartass, I really don't understand. Why do you need video of everyone who comes to your door?
it's in the article I linked above about the Shark Tank guys. Many thieves ring the door bell before they break in, especially during the day. The want to know if anyone is home. With one of these, when the door bell rings, and your not home, you can answer and say you are, and off they go!

Thanks
mMII
I have a button and when you push it, a booming voice comes out of nowhere and says to GFO. Does that count?

I have a Ring. I'm very happy with it. It is wired into the old doorbell. I'm considering buying a floodlight motion camera to supplement the doorbell camera. I think the doorbell video storage service is about $3/month but it increases if you add a more cameras.

While you are at it, get a dashcam, (front and back) for your vehicle. Nowadays, you need video proof of everything.

Have wanted to get one, but not sure of installation costs - or who I would go to i.e. dealer/bodyshop/general mechanic etc. - b/c I'd want to wire it into my car to avoid the wire hanging in the middle of my dash.

Oh and for the actual topic - here's a prank to pull on anyone you know who does have a ring doorbell. When they're away from the house, or even better on vacation, put a helium balloon with weighted base in front of the doorbell cam.

First, the devices are hooked to your wireless Wifi.

For my ring, and I don't use the doorbell, it is movement driven. So it starts to record and the light goes on when it senses movement. That goes into the "cloud" via the internet, so that someone destroying the device would be recorded before they could destroy it. At the same time, you get an alert on your mobile app that allows you to see the realtime video (or the recently recorded video). You can talk on a speaker on the ring device and/or you can call the police (say, someone in a ski mask smashes your ring device).

The system isn't foolproof but its pretty good. Someone would have to disable the wifi. If you have a camera where wifi comes into the house, you'd have a video of that too.

5936903_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I have a ring camera/light on my front porch and a ring dual light/camera. I had to upgrade my Wifi speed to 100mb and when I did that it works flawlessly. If you want them to store images for any period of time, there is a fee...something like $10/month. They also have a "neighborhood" thing where people can post alerts of suspicious activity in the 'hood.

I didn't do the doorbell because a) i don't want to have to change the battery and/or b) run a power line to it. I liked having the camera and motion sensor light and ran a power line to it. The advantage is that the light going on is a bit of a deterrent as it tells the evil-doer that there is surveillance.

I believe the costs of the Ring devices are ridiculously expensive but installation and product performance has been very good.

OBI a question - Does your doorbell currently have power to some kine of chimes inside the house? That how mine is and I just unscrewed the old door bell and hooked up the new door bell. My wife gets an alarm on her phone and then she opens the "app or web site, whatever it is" and she can see live action and talk if she wants to. We will be adding the cameras to our driveway area within the next couple of weeks.

OBI a question - Does your doorbell currently have power to some kine of chimes inside the house? That how mine is and I just unscrewed the old door bell and hooked up the new door bell. My wife gets an alarm on her phone and then she opens the "app or web site, whatever it is" and she can see live action and talk if she wants to. We will be adding the cameras to our driveway area within the next couple of weeks.
No, I have a separate doorbell that has a button-unit with a battery and then the chime thing inside the house. I really have a dog that barks when anyone gets on our front porch so....

I do not have the Ring doorbell opting for the camera/flood light which is more flexible and has a better range of view and quality of video.

That would probably be a good thing for me, as remote as my house is........That said, if I had to guess, I would get one of those approximately never in hell.

Thanks
mMII

Don't bother with Ring doorbell. Cheap Chinese-made electronics.

I went through four of them. Delayed video streaming and incredible audio feedback. Sent three back for replacement free-of-charge until finally they had enough of me. Avoid the grief. Go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT