ADVERTISEMENT

Excessive Covid precautions

you strike me as the type of guy who would make up a story like that just to get the upper hand in this argument— just sayin.
Pretty shitty accusation to make...but I wish it was just made up. Unfortunately, it’s not. Although he was a few years older than I thought (65).

This thread made me laugh several times.

Early on, I was one of those that hoarded whatever food I could get my hands on. My pantry still has canned goods from then that I'll be donating to a food bank soon because I'll never eat that food as long as other better food is available.

I also disinfected every can, box, whatever that came into my house. And left deliveries sit in the foyer for a day or two. It was crazy times not knowing what to think.

Then after a month or two of reading lots of information, I realized that this whole hands washing, disinfecting everything nonsense was just that.

I once met some people at a bar outside on the patio. The one guy wouldn't shake my hand, but he was just fine grabbing the beer some stranger brought him and putting his lips on the glass to drink. The contradictory behaviors I've observed like that have helped me appreciate my own quirkiness more during these times.

I've watched people in check out lines and swear some would intentionally stand right behind the person in front of them just to start a confrontation. And I've seen a lady get out of line and move to another just because the person behind her wouldn't keep his distance. Perhaps that was his plan to check out sooner?

I've heard a lot of unmasked people tell the checkout person that covid was fake and the checkout person would just nod in agreement while hurriedly trying to get the person out of the store.

It's been just as comical (in my own head) trying to figure out how to behave now that I've been vaccinated and almost everyone I hang out with has been as well. I will often still wear my mask around my neck (to go into stores that still have signs on the doors) and pull it up when I get near someone without even thinking. I have to remember it's no longer necessary. I have to remember that it's okay to hug my parents now after going a year of trying to keep my distance from them just in case I was carrying covid around.

To those of you arguing dumb sh!t still, give it a rest. We are finally on the right path in this country to putting this mess in the rearview mirror. There's no need to continue arguing. Just remember, the real reason for the chip shortage is because of all the chips needed for the vaccines. And when we all grow a third eye in the next ten years, at least it will be immune from glaucoma (I just made that up).

Early on, I was one of those that hoarded whatever food I could get my hands on. My pantry still has canned goods from then that I'll be donating to a food bank soon because I'll never eat that food as long as other better food is available.

I also disinfected every can, box, whatever that came into my house. And left deliveries sit in the foyer for a day or two. It was crazy times not knowing what to think.

Then after a month or two of reading lots of information, I realized that this whole hands washing, disinfecting everything nonsense was just that.

I once met some people at a bar outside on the patio. The one guy wouldn't shake my hand, but he was just fine grabbing the beer some stranger brought him and putting his lips on the glass to drink. The contradictory behaviors I've observed like that have helped me appreciate my own quirkiness more during these times.

I've watched people in check out lines and swear some would intentionally stand right behind the person in front of them just to start a confrontation. And I've seen a lady get out of line and move to another just because the person behind her wouldn't keep his distance. Perhaps that was his plan to check out sooner?

I've heard a lot of unmasked people tell the checkout person that covid was fake and the checkout person would just nod in agreement while hurriedly trying to get the person out of the store.

It's been just as comical (in my own head) trying to figure out how to behave now that I've been vaccinated and almost everyone I hang out with has been as well. I will often still wear my mask around my neck (to go into stores that still have signs on the doors) and pull it up when I get near someone without even thinking. I have to remember it's no longer necessary. I have to remember that it's okay to hug my parents now after going a year of trying to keep my distance from them just in case I was carrying covid around.

To those of you arguing dumb sh!t still, give it a rest. We are finally on the right path in this country to putting this mess in the rearview mirror. There's no need to continue arguing. Just remember, the real reason for the chip shortage is because of all the chips needed for the vaccines. And when we all grow a third eye in the next ten years, at least it will be immune from glaucoma (I just made that up).
I got a kick out of watching the PGA Championship yesterday. Coming up 18, thousands of people intermingling with zero masks in sight. Then, at the trophy presentation, they practice social distancing. Later, on golf channel, they have three hosts interview Phil M on the practice green. You guessed it, the four of them are six feet apart (each).

Last edited:
You misread his post.
No - he was quite clear. He is angry that some people choose to mask up as a courtesy to others because he assumes “these are generally the same people” who want to shut down outdoor dining. It’s a stupid assertion.

No - he was quite clear. He is angry that some people choose to mask up as a courtesy to others because he assumes “these are generally the same people” who want to shut down outdoor dining. It’s a stupid assertion.

Agreed. I still wear a mask when the door on the store says to just as a courtesy to others. Some immunocompromised individual might just feel more comfortable that way and I certainly don't mind it for now. That said, I'm not wearing a mask while biking or hiking (though as stated in a previous thread, I might start wearing a bandana to avoid swallowing bugs when they are bad). But I don't judge people negatively because they wear masks on trails.

Reactions: Obliviax

Now, I don't care what people do, and certainly there may be a small percentage of people who are immuno-compromised and take extreme precaution, but there are far too many doing this to be limited to medical necessity.

Why it bothers me, is that the behavior of wearing masks in ridiculous circumstances is endemic of a certain broader COVID-policy view that hurts our kids and hurts society through other economic and medical repercussions.

He's clearly focused on bad policy.

so let me get this straight..... from reading this thread, i've come to the conclusion that:

- if you believe that everyone should still mask up, you're an idiot

- if you believe it's all a joke, you're an idiot

- if you believe that socialization for kids in school isn't important and they should all stay at home and continue online education regardless of how growing studies show that that mentality is more harmful for the kids, you're an idiot

- if you believe that all kids should be back in school because you're more concerned with their mental well-being than something that statistically doesn't affect them, you're an idiot

- if someone disagrees with your opinion, you're clearly right and they're an idiot and it's perfectly fine to be a dick to them about it, and everyone should listen to you because you're "the expert" and it has nothing to do with hubris

did I do it right? am I winning at "civil discourse"?

so let me get this straight..... from reading this thread, i've come to the conclusion that:

- if you believe that everyone should still mask up, you're an idiot

- if you believe it's all a joke, you're an idiot

- if you believe that socialization for kids in school isn't important and they should all stay at home and continue online education regardless of how growing studies show that that mentality is more harmful for the kids, you're an idiot

- if you believe that all kids should be back in school because you're more concerned with their mental well-being than something that statistically doesn't affect them, you're an idiot

- if someone disagrees with your opinion, you're clearly right and they're an idiot and it's perfectly fine to be a dick to them about it, and everyone should listen to you because you're "the expert" and it has nothing to do with hubris

did I do it right? am I winning at "civil discourse"?

It’s idiot o’clock somewhere.

Reactions: nittanyfan333
Problem is case fatality rates aren't what you shouldn't be looking at. It's infection fatality rate.

Plus to date less than 1% of the 0.01% of people that have gotten covid after being vaccinated have died. I'd say that's better than 95%

If comparing the same endpoints (i.e infection to death) then IFR is better mortality estimate that CFR because CFR underestimates the number of infections compared to IFR.

However, the scenario I was responding to was not comparable the same endpoints. They were conflating the vaccine efficacy endpoint of simply being infected with the endpoint of dying from an infection. These are totally different.

IFR alone doesn’t tell the full benefit of the vaccine with respect to decreased mortality. The combination of decrease in infection rate and the decrease in IFR relative to unvaccinated better measures the value of vaccine. Any argument that vaccine is of limited benefit premised on idea that the survival rate (regardless or IFR or CFR) is similar to vaccine efficacy rate is bunk.

The last part about the glaucoma and third eye that’s totally real people are talking about it people are saying that so I must be real

Not interested in political complaints. Just wondered if you have personal knowledge of someone who, in your mind, took ridiculous efforts to avoid Covid. In my case, a neighbor would go out in the morning and use salad tongs to pick up her paper which was already wrapped in plastic. She would then leave it in her garage for 3 days before reading it. She stopped doing this after we all got vaccinated.

LOL! That's insane.

Even worse (and not nearly as funny), I've seen where businesses, people's livelihoods, and whole industries were shuttered in the name of "precaution" supposedly at the whim of scientifically-ignorant "experts." That was really sad.

More in line with your story, I also heard of a ton of people who wore masks all the time while out in public, even if they had no reason to believe they were sick, thinking it was somehow going to have some effect one way or another.

What a crazy year it was.

Reactions: OhHello
While reading people discuss covid precautions, I keep recalling the George Carlin quote about people driving slower than you being idiots and people going faster are maniacs. I think it's pretty similar.

So when I drove past a park this weekend and saw a middle aged man sitting alone in a gazebo with a mask on, a hundred yards from another human being. I couldn't help but mutter "what an idiot."

Reactions: bytir and psualt
While reading people discuss covid precautions, I keep recalling the George Carlin quote about people driving slower than you being idiots and people going faster are maniacs. I think it's pretty similar.

So when I drove past a park this weekend and saw a middle aged man sitting alone in a gazebo with a mask on, a hundred yards from another human being. I couldn't help but mutter "what an idiot."
You triggered my by mentioning George Carlin. It's a big club and you ain't in it.

You are making a lot of anger-fueled assumptions here. First, you are assuming that folks the cover when approaching others are doing so out of an irrational fear for themselves. Earlier in the spring I would pull my mask up when approaching someone on a tight trail as a courtesy to the other hiker. It’s a signal that I am willing to marginally inconvenience myself to accommodate my fellow hiker. Compassion, not fear.

The leap that folks that show this courtesy are somehow also railing against outdoor dining or return-to-work for the vaccinated is just more anger. Your post is full of ‘these people generally do these things’ leaps of logic that assume the worst.

The part where you go ‘I’m a libertarian but your personal decision bugs the heck out of me’ means you’re probably not a libertarian, just addicted to being angry.
Anger? No. Annoyed at the culture of stupid fear and it's ramifications? Yes
No offense, but your "courtesy" is nonsensical. There's no medical efficacy in what I described, and what you seem to. What you describe as "courtesy" perpetuates a corrosive culture of fear that accomplished nothing.

Reactions: Gnat91
No offense, but your "courtesy" is nonsensical. There's no medical efficacy in what I described, and what you seem to. What you describe as "courtesy" perpetuates a corrosive culture of fear that accomplished nothing.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Ah yes, the folks wearing masks during a pandemic are the corrosive ones. Got it.

*Linsey Marr, a well-known expert on airborne virus transmission from Virginia Tech, said that she recommends wearing masks outside if the area is crowded and “you will be passing by people frequently, say, more than one per minute as a guideline but not an absolute rule.”

“When we walk by people outside, we might catch a whiff of their exhaled breath plume,” she said. “Any single brief, passing exposure is low risk, but such exposures might add up over time.”

“My advice follows the precautionary principle and the fact that wearing a mask does not harm,” Marr added.*

Ah yes, the folks wearing masks during a pandemic are the corrosive ones. Got it.

*Linsey Marr, a well-known expert on airborne virus transmission from Virginia Tech, said that she recommends wearing masks outside if the area is crowded and “you will be passing by people frequently, say, more than one per minute as a guideline but not an absolute rule.”

“When we walk by people outside, we might catch a whiff of their exhaled breath plume,” she said. “Any single brief, passing exposure is low risk, but such exposures might add up over time.”

“My advice follows the precautionary principle and the fact that wearing a mask does not harm,” Marr added.*

Linsey Marr, the "expert" that still thinks you can get covid just by walking past someone?

No quantification, even Fauci said otherwise early on, yet... science.

Reactions: bison13
wearing masks from the front door of restaurant to your table and then being able to take it off, sit there and talk and eat for next 60 minutes as if that 30 second walk is super dangerous in comparison. Silly.
Super dangerous? No. But does it make other diners who you walk by on the way to your table more comfortable? Maybe. Many folks, even if vaccinated, would prefer not to be in close proximity to strangers whose vaccinated status is unknown to them.

Super dangerous? No. But does it make other diners who you walk by on the way to your table more comfortable? Maybe. Many folks, even if vaccinated, would prefer not to be in close proximity to strangers whose vaccinated status is unknown to them.

If you're uncomfortable with an unmasked person walking past you for 2 seconds, you have other issues that a mask can't fix.

At this point I could could not care less if you wear a mask or not - I won't unless required to but if others want to continue so be it but I want all mask requirements lifted since the "science" says it isn't necessary now.

Lol - oh my.

If this is what she thinks, then she absolutely is not an "expert."

While yes, the virus can be "airborne" via aerosolization, infected people don't shed (in any considerable amount) the virus and send it airborne from merely breathing.

Perhaps there is some minor shedding with the first few exhailes right after a sneeze, but sending the virus airborne still requires a cough or sneeze.

This is why the so-called "asymptomatic spread" that was used to scare and manipulate people never actually was a thing. If an infected person doesn't sneeze or cough, the chance of them spreading it is insanely low (~0.0). By the way, this is why young kids don't transmit the virus nearly as much as adults - since symptoms are so mild, if they have symptoms at all, in infected children, they don't shed the virus nearly as much.

Issues? Perhaps. But what is certain is that if you think unmasked people walking past your table results in too much risk for you, you absolutely should not be out at a restaurant yet.

I was just going to say this. If you are okay with sitting indoors with a bunch of others while unmasked for an hour or so, then the last thing you should worry about is another unmasked person walking past your table.

At this point I just obey the sign on the door. If there is a sign that says mask up, then I mask up. If not I don't. I went to the vet yesterday and the sign said fully vaccinated people are not required to wear a mask inside. So I didn't pull up my mask. We are making progress.

At this point I could could not care less if you wear a mask or not - I won't unless required to but if others want to continue so be it but I want all mask requirements lifted since the "science" says it isn't necessary now.

The "science" has been clear on that for a long time, but yeah, I agree. As long as they aren't judging those without a mask, I won't judge those wearing a mask. More power to them.

With that said, unfortunately it needs to be a conscious effort for me. After a year+ of baseless moral grandstanding and shaming, when I see someone still wearing a mask today, it's hard to not assume they were one of the moral grandstanders over the past year, and as much as I try not to think it, they were not good people.

I would think those folks would be more concerned with the unknown air flow patterns in the restaurant with 100-200 people laughing, talking, breathing for the 60 minutes or so rather than the 2 seconds of someone walking by. 🤷‍♂️ The masks only made people feel better, other than that no real be in a restaurant.

I say this just based on observation, etc. We have ate in restaurants since it was allowed again whenever that was.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Here's a thought. Live your life on your side of the street. It's a waste of time and energy to get upset about what other people think.

Nick Saban says a player plays each play where his feet are; the same holds true for life.

Reactions: indynittany

This isn't science.

Issues? Perhaps. But what is certain is that if you think unmasked people walking past your table results in too much risk for you, you absolutely should not be out at a restaurant yet.
The restaurant is trying to make money. If they make their customers feel more comfortable they will have more customers. It doesn’t matter what the risk really is, it’s the perception that the restaurant is a safe place which is important to them from a profitability standpoint.

Personally, I don’t want some anti vaxer anti masker spewing spittle on my fois gras flamed in apple brandy as he and his fat wife and out of control ugly unvaccinated children walk by my table. Why don’t these people drive their pickup truck to a pizza or BBQ restaurant instead of coming in here and invading my space? Yeah I have issues - not everyone is perfect like me!

For those whose head is about to explode, I better explain the above was intended to be sarcastic, at least a little bit :).

Last edited:
Super dangerous? No. But does it make other diners who you walk by on the way to your table more comfortable?

There is no science behind this restaurant scenario, so the question I have is should people countenance a public display of neurosis?

There is no science behind this restaurant scenario, so the question I have is should people countenance a public display of neurosis?
Seriously I think it will just take people some time to become comfortable around other people without masks. It’s been over a year of mask wearing. I suspect as in Asian countries we will still see some masks out in public places like in mass transit during flu season.

This isn't science.

I'm pretty sure I'm mostly on your side in this discussion, but to be clear "the science" isn't totally resolved on pretty much any issue beyond the sun rises (I know the sun doesn't actually "rise") in the east and water is wet.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Seriously I think it will just take people some time to become comfortable around other people without masks. It’s been over a year of mask wearing. I suspect as in Asian countries we will still see some masks out in public places like in mass transit during flu season.
This would not offend me one bit. In fact, mask up if you have even the slightest sniffle. I don't want your germs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT