ADVERTISEMENT

Examples of Near Perfection in Sports

June 12, 1970: Pittsburgh Pirate Dock Ellis pitches no-hitter on LSD.

Maybe he was tripping, maybe he wasn't. A no-hitter is still near perfection.
I listened to that game on KDKA radio with my transistor radio in my bedroom as a kid. Dock Ellis also had 8 walks to go along with 6 strike outs during his infamous no hitter. That must have been some good sh_t that he was doing that night in San Diego.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I watched a few of Cale Sanderson's national championship matches. He just exuded competence in every movement. It is like watching perfection in action.

That got me thinking of other examples of near perfection. Consider Ted Williams swinging at a baseball. Sidney Crosby handling a puck. Larry Bird shooting a jump shot. Walter Payton running off tackle. Tiger Woods hitting a 6 iron.

What are some other examples of near perfection in the sports world?

The Steeler defense in the 70’s.

Please say you’re joking.
not at all … and many horse historians agree

Man o' war lost one race (Big Red lost 3), to Upset, where he was apparently facing backwards to start the race because he was acting up. he lost by a nose while carrying the extra 15Lb handicap that was used in racing at the time. he went on to defeat Upset like 4 more times after that.

Man O War was also more success as a Stallion than Secretariat

An just for good measure, Man O' War's owner was a DELCO dude … so that is the ultimate tie breaker!!

Last edited:
Nova bs Hoyas 85. Lived in dc area. Hated the Hoyas. Nova basically played perfect. Hoya team was great but wasn’t enough that night. Class life example of why they play games. Hoyas win 9/10....

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
not at all … and many horse historians agree

Man o' war lost one race (Big Red lost 3), to Upset, where he was apparently facing backwards to start the race because he was acting up. he lost by a nose while carrying the extra 15Lb handicap that was used in racing at the time. he went on to defeat Upset like 4 more times after that.

Man O War was also more success as a Stallion than Secretariat

An just for good measure, Man O' War's owner was a DELCO dude … so that is the ultimate tie breaker!!
Horse racing and the training and breeding of horses developed a lot since the 1920’s...Secretariat competed in a much more difficult era not to mention Secretariat physically had a lot of attributes that other horses didn’t have that made him great. If you could design a perfect race horse it would be Secretariat.

Reactions: Nitwit
Since there hasn't been many tennis mentions, let me add....

- Federer's backhand
- Graf's forehand
- Agassi's return of serve
- Sampras's serve

For 'feats' of the sport, I think there are four big ones:

- Federer's 17 Grand Slams
- Nadal's 9 French Open wins
- Laver's two 'Grand Slam' years
- McEnroe's 1984 season - went 82-3, won 13 titles, reached the finals of the three GS's he played in (skipped Australian), won Wimbledon and the U.S. Open (lost in five sets to Lendl at the French), won his first 42 matches, and dominated his rivals Lendl and Connors (13-1 combined against both).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT