ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Republican columnist who attacked Obama for 8 yrs. writes apology after less than 2 yrs. of Trump

Ten Thousan Marbles

Gold Member
Feb 6, 2014
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/ex...ma-8-years-writes-apology-less-2-years-trump/

Former Republican Max Boot spent eight years trying to stop Obama as an aide to both John McCain and Mitt Romney, and as a longtime conservative columnist.

Boot, who is now a columnist for the Washington Post, was never a Trump fan, but he did write a column the day after the election in which he argued that a Trump presidency “might not be so bad” and encouraged optimism.

Now, in a new piece for the Post, Boot is prepared to say that, actually, it is that bad.

“Now I would take Obama back in a nanosecond,” he writes. “His presidency appears to be a lost golden age when reason and morality reigned. All of his faults, real as they were, fade into insignificance compared with the crippling defects of his successor. And his strengths — seriousness, dignity, intellect, probity, dedication to ideals larger than self — shine all the more clearly in retrospect.”

Boot even admits that he recently cried while watching an Obama speech.

“It can be depressing to think about our current predicament under a president whose loyalty to America is suspect but whose racism and xenophobia are undoubted,” he writes. “However, Obama’s speech gave me a glimmer of optimism… we had a president with whom I could disagree without ever doubting his fitness to lead. We can have one again.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News