ADVERTISEMENT

Every BIG loss in the Bowls, hurts the Penn State image, don't

know why this board is so hateful about the BIG. I can see not wanting Michigan to win, but Ohio State , Minnesota, and the rest of the BIG winning just helps us.

Thanks. Please head over to the clemson board and tell them about how playing in a conference that may be weaker than the AAC has been hurting their image.
F that. I hope Ryan Day turns out to be Charlie Weis. I hope Harbaugh gets a lifetime contract(or they decide DickRod wasn't so bad) and I hope it turns out that PJ Fleck was just sitting in the boat that KC was rowing.
PSU will never be one of the big 2 inside the offices in Indy so I hope the big 2 loses every single week and PSU goes on a historic run of dominating the B1G.

Last edited:
Any individual game for the Big Ten is going to have little impact on the conference's reputation and, thus, PSU. But if a conference consistently does poorly in non-conference and/or bowl games over time, it does impact the reputation of the conference and how it does - most directly for making the CFP, but also in terms of TV and bowl deals and thus revenue coming in.

The Pac-12 has definitely suffered from this as their revenues have fallen behind (and the gap is widening) and the reputation of the league hurts teams when it comes to raking and consideration for the CFP.

At this point, though, the Big Ten is strong enough that a game here and there would not have much of any impact on an individual team like PSU. So root for whomever you want in these bowl games.
What reputation does the Pac-12 have? USC? Maybe Oregon every 15 years?

The win counts, but who you beat also counts. PSU cold still end up dropping in the rankings with this victory

Penn State was favored by a touchdown and won by two touchdowns. Penn State is also the first P5 school to beat a G5 school in a NY6 bowl by a double digit margin. But yeah we suck and should drop in the polls.

I loved every minute of the whining and wailing of “calls” from the Ohio State/ Clemson game on The Final Drive this am on BIG 10 Network.
Their tears are delicious!!!

tenor.gif
Ain’t that the truth!

Reactions: MacNit07
know why this board is so hateful about the BIG. I can see not wanting Michigan to win, but Ohio State , Minnesota, and the rest of the BIG winning just helps us.

Couldn’t cheer for OSU but I was pulling for OSU the entire game. And then they lost. And I was still just as happy, possibly more so.

I’m all for everyone we’ve beaten. Was THRILLED for Iowa. But can’t cheer for UM. Period.

No. It doesn't. I wish that were true but 25 years in this conference says otherwise. It has never helped us. What helps us is beating OSU, Michigan,......, not by losing and having them win. It's a fallacy.
To take this a step further, how does playing in the sucky ACC hurt Clemson?
Amen!

Reactions: fairgambit
Then the Phucking B1G needs to grow up and stop screwing with and stopping the better teams in the conference from winning games..... The B1G is a syndicate and until it stops being corrupt.... their chosen ones will go into bowl games and lose.
Been going on for a long time...decades in fact...check the bowl records of Michigan and the mighty O$U...they both suck!

Penn State was favored by a touchdown and won by two touchdowns. Penn State is also the first P5 school to beat a G5 school in a NY6 bowl by a double digit margin. But yeah we suck and should drop in the polls.

Nobody cares if a P5 school beats a G5 school, nobody. It only matters when a G5 school beats a P5 school.

There are teams ranked behind us that could jump us and teams ahead of us that might not fall far if they lose. So yes, we could drop in the ratings.

Good point and agree, but a quick correction. The Auburn loss to UCF was in 2017. Last year LSU had a fight on its hands to come from behind and beat UCF. Some folks would even say that performance jump started them on their special CFP quest this year. They ended 2018 with a 10 - 3 record with that win, so we don't want to poo-poo NY6 Bowl victories over Group 5 opponents. I'm grateful for the victory over Memphis!
9 was the start, not ucf.

No matter what the rest of the B1G does this bowl season we are going to finish #7 or #8. So it's really meaningless.

We started the bowl season at #10.
> Whoever loses between Oregon & Wisconsin will drop below us. An Oregon loss gives them 3 loses and a Wiscy loss gives them 4 loses...... That puts us at #9

> IF Georgia shows up wanting to play they beat Baylor. Baylor gets no love, so if they lose to Georgia they will drop several spots (and the Oklahoma loss to LSU does not help Baylor) ..... A Georgia win over Baylor puts us at #8

> Not sure how they "punish" Oklahoma for that performance. Depending on how far they drop Oklahoma .... We either jump Oklahoma and finish #7 OR they keep OU ahead of us and we finish at #8.

So, how Michigan or Ohio State or Minnesota or Indiana or Michigan State .... do in their respective bowls is irrelevant. We are finishing at #7 or #8 ... so might as well pull against the a-holes. !!!

Sorry walleye.
As a longtime PSU fan, Penn State winning can take care of itself!
We play in a division with the "long-time" B10 powers (tOSU and UM). Beating them, and winning the conference title should take care of itself.
IMHO, I don't give a rats ass what happens to Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State in bowl games. To be perfectly honest, watching them lose suits me fine. The only teams I root for are Northwestern and Iowa. Two very good coaches run those programs! Wisky isn't bad either.

1) I can't think of a major conference where we would be welcomed.

2) I can't think of a major conference in which we wouldn't join with a chip on our shoulder.

3) Strength of schedule matters in the playoff equation.

Damn. Now Franklin can’t use a Tosu playoff win or even a Tosu national championship to convince kids to come to Penn State. :(

Reactions: LionsandBear
Now OU losing line they did definitely hurt perception of Big XII.
Really? Oklahoma has been crapping the bed in BCS and CFP games for the last 18 years and still gets higher rankings and invites to BCS/CFP over teams with similar records. How exactly has the Big XII conference been hurt by their annual post-season face plant?

Dude, are you on crack? How in the world would OSU winning help us? Answer, it doesn't! Didn't you notice that OSU was pretty darn good this year? Don't you realize that it was primarily from the boost in recruiting they got from winning the NC a few years ago? If they would have won the NC this year, it would have helped further separate them from the rest of the Big10. Them winning only helps them, and hurts us in the long run.

Btw, does apply across sports, say in basketball? Because I couldn't help but notice , <24 hours after #2 OSU FB lost, #2 OSU HOOPS got beat by WVU.

Will that hurt our image in football, or only basketball?

No matter what the rest of the B1G does this bowl season we are going to finish #7 or #8. So it's really meaningless.

> Whoever loses between Oregon & Wisconsin will drop below us. An Oregon loss gives them 3 loses and a Wiscy loss gives them 4 loses...... That puts us at #9

> IF Georgia shows up wanting to play they beat Baylor. Baylor gets no love, so if they lose to Georgia they will drop several spots (and the Oklahoma loss to LSU does not help Baylor) ..... A Georgia win over Baylor puts us at #8

> Not sure how they "punish" Oklahoma for that performance. Depending on how far they drop Oklahoma .... We either jump Oklahoma and finish #7 OR they keep OU ahead of us and we finish at #8.

So, how Michigan or Ohio State or Minnesota or Indiana or Michigan State .... do in their respective bowls is irrelevant. We are finishing at #7 or #8 ... so might as well pull against the a-holes. !!!
@Kiber, its not the CFP ranking (#10) that matters, its the AP and Coaches Polls where we are 13th and 12th, unfortunately. The writers are both miserable and ignorant so I have zero confidence. The Coaches Poll is better. We need Texas to upset Utah and Georgia to smash Baylor, hopefully Georgia shows up. In the AP, we need Utah, Wisconsin, and Auburn to lose. All are directly above Penn St. Even a Michigan upset win against Bama would help, but I can’t help it. I hate that team too much to root for that outcome.

As an aside, don’t take anything for granted with the AP. Sandusky may still be in their heads, sorry to say.

Last edited:

Bama will jump ahead of us after thrashing the Fighting Jimmy's.

Do you think that the fanbases across the BIG were cheering for PSU? Probably 80% were pulling for an upset. Depending on the BIG teams' opponents, I will usually root against the BIG.

Reactions: odshowtime
Simple Boolean Algebra: We beat team A, team A wins a bowl game, we move up in pre-season polls which DOES, DOES, DOES have an impact on perception down the line. Team A gets trounced, wait for it ....... the frickin' opposite. Go Big Blue, beat Bama and, wait for it ......... HELPS US. I hate Michigan, Ohio State, etc as much as the next guy, but I don't want to be stupid about it.

Fun fact, did you know rooting for or against a team has no impact on the outcome ;)

Bama will jump ahead of us after thrashing the Fighting Jimmy's.

Do you think that the fanbases across the BIG were cheering for PSU? Probably 80% were pulling for an upset. Depending on the BIG teams' opponents, I will usually root against the BIG.

I agree. I never pull for any other B1G team. Saturday night I was a huge Clemson fan. I hope Oregon lays 100 on Wiscy because I think Wiscy getting picked for the Rose over us was a 100% political job orchestrated by Barry Alvarez and his B1G buddies. Oregon can not beat them badly enough. I hope Wisconsin gets embarrassed to Biblical proportions. Will be pulling for Bama or Michigan.

Only 2 B1G teams I will pull for are IU over Tenn and MN over Auburn... not because I "like" MN or Indiana, but living down here in SEC Country, I have grown to really hate both Tenn & Auburn fan bases.

Reactions: MacNit07
Simple Boolean Algebra: We beat team A, team A wins a bowl game, we move up in pre-season polls which DOES, DOES, DOES have an impact on perception down the line. Team A gets trounced, wait for it ....... the frickin' opposite. Go Big Blue, beat Bama and, wait for it ......... HELPS US. I hate Michigan, Ohio State, etc as much as the next guy, but I don't want to be stupid about it.

Fun fact, did you know rooting for or against a team has no impact on the outcome ;)
If Michigan wins that will guarantee they start next season ranked ahead of us....it will probably happen anyway like it does every year, but then winning their bowl over Bama will guarantee it...so that doesn’t help us at all.

I think everyone wants a BIG happy family where we fight on gameday but pull together during bowl season. I would like that, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. We have ALWAYS been the red haired, freckle faced, Dumbo eared stepchild since we joined this league and old beliefs die hard if they die at all. You have the arrogance of the big 2 and the residual resentment from the rest of the league over the Sandusky scandal gleefully refering to PSU as Pedophile U. There may come a day where we all come together and say Cumbaya, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that day.

I think everyone wants a BIG happy family where we fight on gameday but pull together during bowl season. I would like that, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. We have ALWAYS been the red haired, freckle faced, Dumbo eared stepchild since we joined this league and old beliefs die hard if they die at all. You have the arrogance of the big 2 and the residual resentment from the rest of the league over the Sandusky scandal gleefully refering to PSU as Pedophile U. There may come a day where we all come together and say Cumbaya, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that day.
The Big 10 seems to be the least cohesive conference in the country and PSU is definitely the outsider. So it’s a double whammy....redheaded step child in a conference where any of the teams don’t really care for each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT